Русский New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 40 of 58«1238394041425758»
Forum » SpaceEngine » Off-topic Discussions » Video game thread (Do you guys play any?)
Video game thread
RockoRocksDate: Wednesday, 05.02.2014, 19:54 | Message # 586
World Builder
Group: Users
Belgium

why does it look so 2-dimensional?

I will be inactive on this forum for the time being. Might come back eventually

AMD AR-3305M APU w/ Radeon HD 1.90 GHz 6,00 GB RAM

Billy_MayesDate: Wednesday, 05.02.2014, 21:38 | Message # 587
Pioneer
Finland
RockoRocks, I think that's just a WIP. The finished game will be better.

I think that's quite ambitious idea.
It will definately take many years (decades even?) to map out the entire world.

AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2 GHz Quad-Core - AMD Radeon HD 6950 2GB VRAM - 4GB RAM - 1680x1050 75 Hz Samsung screen

RockoRocksDate: Wednesday, 05.02.2014, 22:42 | Message # 588
World Builder
Belgium
Quote Billy_Mayes ()
It will definately take many years (decades even?) to map out the entire world.

That all depends on how long it takes to fully map a square km. It also depends on how detailed they are going to do it.

I will be inactive on this forum for the time being. Might come back eventually

AMD AR-3305M APU w/ Radeon HD 1.90 GHz 6,00 GB RAM

Edited by RockoRocks - Wednesday, 05.02.2014, 22:43

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Thursday, 06.02.2014, 07:02 | Message # 589
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
Pirate
Most likely they will have to find ways to compress petabytes of data. I would hate to see it be online only with streaming though.

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

AerospacefagDate: Thursday, 06.02.2014, 19:40 | Message # 590
Pioneer
Russian Federation
Most likely they will have to find ways to get access to the national borders and private property. An ambitious plan, a great idea - and nobody remembers that there's the whole world out there, where nobody cares about some action-survival game that has no prototype at the beginning.

And http://shop.rerollgame.com/ready-for-anything-bundle/ ?
Seriously? 275 bucks? Looks like a bad joke from /k/. No thanks, brb buying DayZ.

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Thursday, 06.02.2014, 19:51 | Message # 591
Galaxy Architect
Pirate
Quote Aerospacefag ()
Most likely they will have to find ways to get access to the national borders and private property

They can always go the procedural route and fill in the gaps using the publicly available height maps.

Quote Aerospacefag ()
And http://shop.rerollgame.com/ready-for-anything-bundle/ ?
Seriously? 275 bucks? Looks like a bad joke from /k/. No thanks, brb buying DayZ.

I am more interested in their development process and what they will do. I don't plan to invest in it unless they do something really amazing. Considering Outerra already has all of Earth, these guys will have to do something far better. I am just glad this planet sized and greater stuff is finally catching on.

EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

AerospacefagDate: Thursday, 06.02.2014, 20:08 | Message # 592
Pioneer
Russian Federation
Quote DoctorOfSpace
They can always go the procedural route and fill in the gaps using the publicly available height maps.

Of course, I think it worked perfectly for ArmA3, yet as you can remember they managed to run into some problems with military during the project. http://www.polygon.com/2013....-buchta

And Altis "prototype island" - you should look into history of it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemnos

Quote DoctorOfSpace
Considering Outerra already has all of Earth, these guys will have to do something far better. I am just glad this planet sized and greater stuff is finally catching on.

Outerra is a great engine but IMHO it suffers a bit from overall monotony and lack of different palettes, plants, geology... everything that make the world unique in each place. There could be the project to do such a thing, but I don't observe the possibility of it for now, and especially with this project. It doesn't look like they know what they are doing.

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Friday, 07.03.2014, 13:45 | Message # 593
Galaxy Architect
Pirate
Quote Aerospacefag ()
it suffers a bit from overall monotony and lack of different palettes, plants, geology

They've been fixing this slowly with the addition of biomes. Their openness to mods as well has helped and when they eventually do get a fully stable version I can see a lot of games being built upon such an engine.

Quote Aerospacefag ()
It doesn't look like they know what they are doing.

They really don't but I still wish them luck. I think it is great developers are starting to consider the possibilities with modern and upcoming computer power. Engines like SpaceEngine, Outerra, and Infinity are really pushing boundaries but still remain in the fringe selection of indie games.

I really think the second half of this decade will start the procedural revolution and true open world experience.

Take on Mars is getting an update apparently

I might have to get the game because of this

EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

HarbingerDawnDate: Friday, 07.03.2014, 15:05 | Message # 594
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Quote DoctorOfSpace ()
I might have to get the game because of this

Something tells me that's why they're doing this. I had the impression that this wasn't the direction they were planning to go, but I don't think it was as popular as they hoped. Maybe this is an attempt to boost its popularity. In any case, it's exciting, and could be a lot of fun - if it's done right. I have some doubts about the likelihood of that last bit given its history so far, but I hope to be proven wrong.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Friday, 14.03.2014, 15:46 | Message # 595
Galaxy Architect
Pirate
Just some Star Trek Online screens

My ship isn't cut out for Borg. Borg probes I can handle and a sphere if it is by itself but not this...

They destroyed me when I tried to jump to sector space cry

EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

HarbingerDawnDate: Friday, 14.03.2014, 23:50 | Message # 596
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
It's ok, nobody can handle the borg.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

pebbleDate: Sunday, 16.03.2014, 13:50 | Message # 597
Astronaut
United States
I've been playing a lot of Assetto Corsa on the PC lately. One thing I love about realistic racing simulators is the tracks are usually based on real world tracks, so time spent in one sim carries over to others.

Also, the physics modeling in these games has gotten worlds better. Assetto Corsa's physics feel great, especially when coupled with the sound, force-feedback in the controller, and the car's movement independent of the driver's camera.

They just added work-in-progress AI opponents to the game, who are pretty stupid, but a nice change from solitary hotlaps. I expect the AI will get better.

I did an apples-to-apples comparison between Assetto Corsa and Forza 4, using the Lotus Elise on the Mugello Circuit. The car performance (acceleration, handling) was very similar. Perhaps Forza's handling felt a bit floatier and less 'real', but it was like a 5% difference. Forza's track textures are better, but I really don't like the smooth specular highlight it renders on the tracks at low sun angles.

One big plus for Assetto Corsa is the extremely clean, functional interface and fast load times. Unlike Forza or Gran Turismo's endless UI layers, AC has a clean, fast interface that gets you into the game with as little as 1-4 clicks. Want to restart a race? Takes about 10 seconds, as opposed to waiting 30 seconds on a console. (PC master race!)

Anyway, I'm a big fan of racing sims and Assetto Corsa is the most fun I've had in a long time. However, if you're more into arcade racing, you might not like it. (PS I love arcade racing too, I'm not elitist about my driving games.)

The game works great with my Xbox360 controller, too. No way I'm spending hundreds of dollars on a wheel and pedals. Thankfully the control inputs can be finely tuned in the game's config screen.

Here's a recent race I recorded:

Edited by pebble - Sunday, 16.03.2014, 14:02

anonymousgamerDate: Sunday, 16.03.2014, 16:59 | Message # 598
World Builder
United States
Quote pebble ()
work-in-progress AI opponents to the game, who are pretty stupid

Clearly you never played Gran Turismo, where the only priority of the A.I. is to stick to the racing line, regardless of where you or other racer are. At least, that was my experience with GT PSP and most of GT 5. From what I see, these "dumb as rocks" A.I. are much better than what GT had offered.

Desktop: FX-8350 4.0 GHz, 8 GB DDR3 RAM, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW 8 GB, 2 TB HDD, 24 inch 1920x1080 screen
Laptop: Core i5 480M 2.66 GHz (turbo 2.93), 8 GB DDR3 RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6550m 1 GB, 640 GB HDD, 17.3 inch 1600x900 screen

SolarLinerDate: Sunday, 16.03.2014, 17:54 | Message # 599
Explorer
France
AI in GT6 seems to be "less dumb", they try to overtake you or each other, they even try to be agressive towards each other sometimes (which leads almost everytime to a crash ^^), but they're too slow. I mean, I race 16 others cars on a circuit, with the most difficult level, and at the 2 lap I'm in first with a 5 seconds lead. And I'm not an "ultra-expert racing nerd" or something close. Just a causal player who likes a race from time to time.

custom landing page to share: http://bit.ly/spaceengine

pebbleDate: Monday, 17.03.2014, 00:01 | Message # 600
Astronaut
United States
Quote anonymousgamer ()
Clearly you never played Gran Turismo, where the only priority of the A.I. is to stick to the racing line, regardless of where you or other racer are. At least, that was my experience with GT PSP and most of GT 5. From what I see, these "dumb as rocks" A.I. are much better than what GT had offered.

Actually, I played the hell out of Gran Turismo. Back in 2000 it actually saved my life, because I was able to avoid a possibly fatal accident by instinctively using skills I learned from GT on the PS1. But you're right, the AI in GT is pretty bad.

In defense of the Assetto Corsa AI, I must say that when they're not crashing into me or each other, they actually feel quite organic. I see them maneuvering and recovering from blunders, and it's pretty convincing. I just wish they didn't hit me so often. Hahaha.

Forum » SpaceEngine » Off-topic Discussions » Video game thread (Do you guys play any?)
Page 40 of 58«1238394041425758»
Search: