Русский New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 22 of 58«1220212223245758»
Forum » SpaceEngine » Off-topic Discussions » Video game thread (Do you guys play any?)
Video game thread
anonymousgamerDate: Saturday, 26.01.2013, 05:42 | Message # 316
World Builder
Group: Global Moderators
United States
Quote (Spyro)
Soft-Body Physics in video games, this will make a revolution in the Racing Industry. No more unrealistic damage and weird physics issues, now no crash will be the same ever agian!

Play Rigs or Rods, it's had that for years.

Also play Burnout Paradise or Racedriver GRiD. All of these have deforming cars.

I'm quite sure the team working to bring these physics to cars in CryEngine 3 are related to the team behind Rigs of Rods.

Attachments: 0482240.jpg(190Kb)

Desktop: FX-8350 4.0 GHz, 8 GB DDR3 RAM, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW 8 GB, 2 TB HDD, 24 inch 1920x1080 screen
Laptop: Core i5 480M 2.66 GHz (turbo 2.93), 8 GB DDR3 RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6550m 1 GB, 640 GB HDD, 17.3 inch 1600x900 screen

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Saturday, 26.01.2013, 05:45 | Message # 317
Galaxy Architect
Pirate
Quote (anonymousgamer)
Play Rigs or Rods, it's had that for years.

That game..... dry

Quote (anonymousgamer)
Also play Burnout Paradise or Racedriver GRiD. All of these have deforming cars.

GTA 4 does it too, though not nearly as nice.

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

HarbingerDawnDate: Saturday, 26.01.2013, 05:46 | Message # 318
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Quote (werdnaforever)
No. Wrong. Sorry. The Original Trilogy is the best part of the Star Wars universe. This isn't opinion. It's literally fact. 10/10 scientists will agree. There's been a million books, videogames, and other merchandising, but really, there's no comparison.

Um, no... You don't seem to have much experience with the Star Wars EU.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Saturday, 26.01.2013, 05:50 | Message # 319
Galaxy Architect
Pirate
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
You don't seem to have much experience with the Star Wars EU.

The one thing I got sick of in the expanded universe, at least from memory, was Palpatine continually finding ways to come back. I was quite happy when

EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

HarbingerDawnDate: Saturday, 26.01.2013, 05:56 | Message # 320
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (DoctorOfSpace)
The one thing I got sick of in the expanded universe, at least from memory, was Palpatine continually finding ways to come back.

That was not a common theme in the EU, that was basically just in the Dark Empire comics (excuse me, "graphic novels"). Those overall are a very minor part of the EU.

My SE mods and addons

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Saturday, 26.01.2013, 06:01 | Message # 321
Galaxy Architect
Pirate
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
Those overall are a very minor part of the EU.

I never went too far in after that I guess. Never was big into reading about Han and Leia's children or their children, or when Luke got with Mara Jade

EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

HarbingerDawnDate: Saturday, 26.01.2013, 06:11 | Message # 322
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (DoctorOfSpace)
Mara Jade

Who was one of the best characters ever, I might add.

The single most epic addition to the Star Wars universe was undoubtedly the New Jedi Order series. That was the pinnacle of Star Wars EU achievement. In a more light-hearted sense, the X-Wing series was a blast too. Stretching back into time the Thrawn trilogy is noteworthy since it essentially spawned modern Star Wars literature. More recently, the Darth Bane trilogy was fantastic, especially the first book, even though unrelated to the main Star Wars story.

I won't say that everything in the EU was great, because there are some bits out there that are not so good. But I will say with absolute conviction that the greatest parts of the EU far exceed the greatest parts of the films.

My SE mods and addons

werdnaforeverDate: Saturday, 26.01.2013, 06:12 | Message # 323
World Builder
Group: Users
Pirate
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
Um, no... You don't seem to have much experience with the Star Wars EU.

sigh... ok, fine... I don't have that much experience.

It just gets to the point where there's so much stuff by so many authors, and the question of whether something's cannon or not is incredibly trivial. This sort of happens with all expanded universes. Too much of a good thing isn't very good, and this lowers the overall value of everything.

Honestly, I think it's best that the original films be separated from the EU (and the prequels- vile pieces of money-making sickening terribly written fake looking garbage). There's the OT, and then there's the EU. Also, I'd consider the prequels just part of the EU since they don't deserve to be included in the same league as the OT. Ok, I'm a prequel hater. There, I said it! As if I haven't made it terribly obvious at this point. biggrin

Edited by werdnaforever - Saturday, 26.01.2013, 06:13

HarbingerDawnDate: Saturday, 26.01.2013, 06:16 | Message # 324
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (werdnaforever)
It just gets to the point where there's so much stuff by so many authors, and the question of whether something's cannon or not is incredibly trivial

Star Wars has a very simple and elegant canon system, and even if some detail is non-canon, who cares? For example, in the Thrawn trilogy, Coruscant is not completely covered by cities. Yet as was clearly established later, it was completely covered by cities. Does this make the Thrawn trilogy suddenly unenjoyable trash? Of course not. Just laugh about it and enjoy the book.

Also, unlike some other EUs, Star Wars has a system where the canon is taken pretty seriously and everyone is kept on the same page. Generally the only way that a notable conflict arises is if Uncle George does something in a movie which contradicts something from the EU, in which case the EU detail is invalidated. Note, this does not happen often, nor has it ever affected anything major.

My SE mods and addons

Edited by HarbingerDawn - Saturday, 26.01.2013, 06:21

werdnaforeverDate: Saturday, 26.01.2013, 06:19 | Message # 325
World Builder
Pirate
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
Star Wars has a very simple and elegant canon system, and even if some detail is non-canon, who cares? For example, in the Thrawn trilogy, Coruscant is not completely covered by cities. Yet as was clearly established later, it was completely covered by cities. Does this make the Thrawn trilogy suddenly unenjoyable trash? Of course not. Just laugh about it and enjoy the book.

I see your point.

2901! That's literally over 10 times as many posts as me.

Since this is the video game thread, I'll mention that I've played some fun Star Wars games, and 1313 looks really cool, kind of like Uncharted. Also, there's that Star Wars game for the original Macintosh, where you pilot Luke's X-Wing and blow up the Death star. All in good old 1-bit color! It even had some short audio clips ("red 5 standing by") (great shot kid, that was one in a million").

There are a bunch of little good games from the early Mac OS days.

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Saturday, 26.01.2013, 06:29 | Message # 326
Galaxy Architect
Pirate
All this talk on the Expanded Universe is interesting but right now there is a chance that the new movies may invalidate everything.

sad

Quote (HarbingerDawn)

I think that was explained somewhere about how parts of Coruscant were destroyed and never replaced. Might be mistaken but I remember hearing something about that discrepancy. Of course no matter what its all excuses for inconsistency and never really bothers me.

EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

Edited by DoctorOfSpace - Saturday, 26.01.2013, 06:34

HarbingerDawnDate: Saturday, 26.01.2013, 06:38 | Message # 327
Cosmic Curator
United States
I can still never decide whether my favorite Star Wars game is TIE Fighter or Knights of the Old Republic. It's hard for me to compare them given that they're wildly different genres.

Also worthy of mention are:
  • Dark Forces (good old DOS strikes again!), which was the first actual 3D first person shooter
  • Rogue Squadon - definitely better on the N64 than the PC, I have to say
  • X-Wing - without which TIE Fighter would not have existed
  • Episode I Racer - enjoyed this way too much wacko
  • Super Return of the Jedi - SNES (I think I had a Game Boy version of this too)

and likely plenty of others that I've completely spaced out on.

My SE mods and addons
  •  
    DoctorOfSpaceDate: Saturday, 26.01.2013, 06:42 | Message # 328
    Galaxy Architect
    Pirate
    Quote (HarbingerDawn)
    and likely plenty of others that I've completely spaced out on.

Jedi Knight
    Jedi Knight II Jedi Outcast
    Jedi Knight Jedi Academy

Nothing beats those.

Edit:

Racer was even more fun with one of these

EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

Edited by DoctorOfSpace - Saturday, 26.01.2013, 06:49

werdnaforeverDate: Saturday, 26.01.2013, 06:46 | Message # 329
    World Builder
    Pirate
    Quote (HarbingerDawn)
    Episode I Racer - enjoyed this way too much

I concur.

Antza2Date: Saturday, 26.01.2013, 11:49 | Message # 330
    World Builder
    Finland
    Quote (DoctorOfSpace)
    Jedi Knight Jedi Academy

That game was super fun. The swordplay and acrobatics were amazing for it's time and the force powers were a blast to use. There still seems to be an online community, especially for the more popular mods.

Go to antza2.deviantart.com for cool photos!

Forum » SpaceEngine » Off-topic Discussions » Video game thread (Do you guys play any?)
    Page 22 of 58«1220212223245758»
    Search: