Русский New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 18 of 58«1216171819205758»
Forum » SpaceEngine » Off-topic Discussions » Video game thread (Do you guys play any?)
Video game thread
werdnaforeverDate: Tuesday, 27.11.2012, 21:24 | Message # 256
World Builder
Group: Users
Pirate
Quote (ogggrez)
Can't we just play at night

This isn't what I'm talking about...

Someone on an US east coast server won't be able to interact with someone on a European server. As far as I can tell, characters are locked to servers when created.

It doesn't matter what time I play- I'm never going to see any players on a European server when playing on a US east coast server, and vice versa. Multiple servers for each location, and three teams per server means we can't have a giant outfit for all members of the forum to join.

Planetside 2 doesn't put together players from across the globe- it groups people together regionally. If we wanted to, we could all create characters for one server specified somewhere on the forum, but this would be unfair for people living far away (very high latency). I can play P2 all night, but will never see anyone from Russia or Sweeden, for example, since you guys will be playing on your respective servers, and likely on other teams. We can't have an outlet if one third of us are on TR, another third on NC, and the final third on VS, since these teams are opposing each other. It's a shame too.

We could have an FSX server though, I think.

EDIT: I realize I've been a bit redundant within this post... better to repeat than to not say enough.

EDIT 2: I like to play as an engineer and a pilot, so I can land and repair my plane if I take damage.

Edited by werdnaforever - Tuesday, 27.11.2012, 21:28

ogggrezDate: Tuesday, 27.11.2012, 21:39 | Message # 257
Astronaut
Sweden
Quote (werdnaforever)
This isn't what I'm talking about...

Someone on an US east coast server won't be able to interact with someone on a European server. As far as I can tell, characters are locked to servers when created.

It doesn't matter what time I play- I'm never going to see any players on a European server when playing on a US east coast server, and vice versa. Multiple servers for each location, and three teams per server means we can't have a giant outfit for all members of the forum to join.

Planetside 2 doesn't put together players from across the globe- it groups people together regionally. If we wanted to, we could all create characters for one server specified somewhere on the forum, but this would be unfair for people living far away (very high latency). I can play P2 all night, but will never see anyone from Russia or Sweeden, for example, since you guys will be playing on your respective servers, and likely on other teams. We can't have an outlet if one third of us are on TR, another third on NC, and the final third on VS, since these teams are opposing each other. It's a shame too.

I was thinking that we would just have to create a new character on some server, and have like friday,saturday game nights/day . Although I do realize This might be problematic for some. But it could easily be done.

And are you saying that the game makes you play on a EU/NA server? Cause that isn't true. My main character is on a US server.

"You can't take the skies from me"

Edited by ogggrez - Tuesday, 27.11.2012, 21:40

werdnaforeverDate: Tuesday, 27.11.2012, 22:14 | Message # 258
World Builder
Pirate
Quote (ogggrez)
I was thinking that we would just have to create a new character on some server

It takes forever to get certs... one character is enough for me.
Quote (ogggrez)
are you saying that the game makes you play on a EU/NA server

No. I choose a server nearest to me because I wanted a faster connection, and I would think that this is what people usually do.

ogggrezDate: Wednesday, 28.11.2012, 17:21 | Message # 259
Astronaut
Sweden
Quote (werdnaforever)
It takes forever to get certs... one character is enough for me.

You could have a special character just for playing with SE users. Just for fun smile

Quote (werdnaforever)
I choose a server nearest to me because I wanted a faster connection, and I would think that this is what people usually do.

Oh, ok. Yes that is true, but if we wan't to play on the same server it could easily work. Just some time differences, and slight lag, depending on a persons internet speed. It works for me personally. smile

"You can't take the skies from me"

DisasterpieceDate: Wednesday, 28.11.2012, 23:49 | Message # 260
World Builder
United States
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
Thanks, $10 is a good price for something like that, I've been wanting a new flight sim for a long time I'll go buy it now

If you're into flight sims you might want to check out XPlane
I have pledged my loyalty to it. Even the newest version isn't that good

I play teh spase engien

HarbingerDawnDate: Wednesday, 28.11.2012, 23:56 | Message # 261
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Quote (Disasterpiece)
If you're into flight sims you might want to check out XPlane

I'm familiar with X-Plane. But I don't relish the idea of having to figure out another flight sim when I've gotten so accustomed to MSFS over the past 15 years. I've tried to demo X-Plane and I was somewhat underwhelmed by a lot of it. The reason I was happy to get Il-2 was because I didn't have any combat flight sims. Also, the $70 price tag for X-Plane 10 is too much for me.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

KyleDate: Thursday, 29.11.2012, 00:44 | Message # 262
Space Tourist
United States
Do we have a Space Engine Planetside 2 outfit? If not we should make one.

PC: i7 4790k 4.0GHz Geforce GTX 980ti 16GB DDR3 RAM

werdnaforeverDate: Thursday, 29.11.2012, 00:47 | Message # 263
World Builder
Pirate
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
But I don't relish the idea of having to figure out another flight sim when I've gotten so accustomed to MSFS over the past 15 years.

I love MSFS too. X-Plane... the flight model is better, but other than that, I'm not sure what to say. I tried the demo version, and either it's just me or it has terrible optimization issues. I can only run it on relatively low settings on my machine. X-plane 9 I can max out at full settings. My computer should be able to tackle x-plane 10, but it seems to have real trouble for some reason. X-Plane also has a terrible interface, IMHO, when compared to flight simulator. Keep it simple, stupid! doesn't seem to apply there. This is kind of a minor point, but, X-Plane's interface doesn't seem to take itself too seriously. There's some casual writing there that seems unprofessional and out of place. I know it sounds stupid, but it's true.

FSX is still my favorite flight sim. It's a shame- I would have loved a FS11 with mind-blowing graphics, a massively improved and updated flight model, and more. Instead, we got Microsoft Flight, and then nothing.

What's happening to flight simulators?
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
Also, the $70 price tag for X-Plane 10 is too much for me.

When I bought FSX (when it was originally released) I bought the standard edition- and it didn't run well on my PC at the time, so I returned it and stuck with FS2004. A few years later, I bought the Gold edition for 30 dollars- it's the deluxe edition and the acceleration expansion pack all in one. All of FSX for 30 dollars! I think you can still pick it up for that much.

I'd still recommend it. The scenery graphics aren't exactly photo-realistic by today's standards, but the plane models are great, and the effects are good. The flight model isn't bad, planning trips is easy; it's a good simulator all around and I've had years of fun with it myself. It's a bargain these days-cheaper than it ever was before.

Edited by werdnaforever - Thursday, 29.11.2012, 00:47

HarbingerDawnDate: Thursday, 29.11.2012, 01:01 | Message # 264
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (werdnaforever)
X-Plane also has a terrible interface, IMHO, when compared to flight simulator.

I entirely agree, this was one of my bigger problems with XP. It's kinda confusing to figure anything out compared to MSFS, which had a pretty user-friendly interface.

Quote (werdnaforever)
FSX is still my favorite flight sim. It's a shame- I would have loved a FS11 with mind-blowing graphics, a massively improved and updated flight model, and more. Instead, we got Microsoft Flight, and then nothing.

I know sad It's a shame that Microsoft has dropped out of the flight sim game, they did some good work. Recently there hasn't really been any great flight sims, except for perhaps X-Plane, which as mentioned is not without its issues.

Quote (werdnaforever)
I'd still recommend it. The scenery graphics aren't exactly photo-realistic by today's standards, but the plane models are great, and the effects are good.

I have FSX and Acceleration.

I like FSX (though switching to it from FS9 was a little hard), but I have some issues with it. Its inability to use more than one core, for one. Also, the way that it handles fullscreen mode on a multiple monitor setup irks me sometimes. And it loves to tell you that a perfectly good carrier landing was actually a crash dry

Really it's a bunch of little things that aren't really worth listing that irk me about it. There are just enough inconveniences with it that I don't use it nearly as much as I'd like, because I often want to just do a quick flight but can't be bothered to go through the hassle of taking 5 minutes to set up a 5 minute flight. At times like that I almost jump in Orbiter, but Orbiter simply can't hold a candle to FSX for atmospheric flight. /sigh

My SE mods and addons

KyleDate: Thursday, 29.11.2012, 01:01 | Message # 265
Space Tourist
United States
Alright I just made an outfit for the Vanu Sovereignty (as they seem the most fitting for the space engine community). Tthe name is simple just Space Engine and It's on the Genudine server. If you have trouble connecting to the US Servers PM me and I'll make some outfits for the various countries and regions. See you gents on the battlefield smile

werdnaforeverDate: Thursday, 29.11.2012, 01:06 | Message # 266
World Builder
Pirate
I know MS sold FSX's IP to Lockheed Martin- they have a version called Prepar3d (pronounced Prepared).

I'm sent them an email...

Quote (This is the email I sent them)
Hello,

I'm aware Prepar3d is meant for professional use, and not as a general purpose consumer oriented flight simulator.

Microsoft hasn't done much with the flight simulator series since FS X. Microsoft Flight is hardly worthy of it's title, and it's not even being developed anymore. I don't know if Lockheed Martin's purchase of the FSX IP prohibits Microsoft from continuing development of FSX. Is this true? Does it prohibit Microsoft's development of FSX while allow for their development of newer versions? Additionally, what exactly is Lockheed Martin allowed to do with Prepar3d?

The consumer version of FSX is starting to seem- well, dated. I don't know what kinds of improvements Prepar3d has over it's older cousin- I would imagine them to be technical fixes, including upgrades to the flight engine. The latter would be extremely welcome to me and many others.

There's a lack of serious flight simulation programs on the market today. I would like to know if Lockheed Martin plans to develop a successor to Flight Simulator 10 based on Prepar3d, with a graphical overhaul and an improved flight engine. If not, is there even a remote possibility of that happening in the future? Might Lockheed Martin even consider hiring a studio or more developers if they feel they alone do not have the necessary talent to create a flight simulator for consumer use?

The Flight Simulator franchise is over 30 years old, and is meaningful to a lot of people, including me. I, and so many others, would hate to see it end now. If Microsoft is totally done with the series/not allowed to create new versions, than it would make sense for Lockheed Martin to do something to continue it. As an aerospace engineering company, I believe Lockheed Martin could develop an extraordinary flight simulator using FSX, and I guarantee that there are plenty of people out there who would buy and enjoy it.

I'll show you guys how they respond if (or when) they do.

EDIT:
Quote (Kyle)
Alright I just made an outfit for the Vanu Sovereignty (as they seem the most fitting for the space engine community). Tthe name is simple just Space Engine and It's on the Genudine server. If you have trouble connecting to the US Servers PM me and I'll make some outfits for the various countries and regions. See you gents on the battlefield smile

I'm on the Jaeger server.

Edited by werdnaforever - Thursday, 29.11.2012, 01:09

anonymousgamerDate: Thursday, 29.11.2012, 02:17 | Message # 267
World Builder
Group: Global Moderators
United States
Quote (werdnaforever)
I'm on the Jaeger server.

Same.. Hope to see you on the battlefield one day biggrin

Desktop: FX-8350 4.0 GHz, 8 GB DDR3 RAM, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW 8 GB, 2 TB HDD, 24 inch 1920x1080 screen
Laptop: Core i5 480M 2.66 GHz (turbo 2.93), 8 GB DDR3 RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6550m 1 GB, 640 GB HDD, 17.3 inch 1600x900 screen

KyleDate: Thursday, 29.11.2012, 02:38 | Message # 268
Space Tourist
United States
Okay I'll make a new character on Jaeger and start up the outfit. PM me your Usernames so I can add you

Antza2Date: Thursday, 29.11.2012, 13:27 | Message # 269
World Builder
Group: Global Moderators
Finland
Quote (werdnaforever)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/63970/
http://www.gog.com/gamecard/il_2_sturmovik_1946
You should really check those out.

Go to antza2.deviantart.com for cool photos!

HarbingerDawnDate: Thursday, 29.11.2012, 13:35 | Message # 270
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (Antza2)
You should really check those out.

Il-2 is no substitute for a real non-combat flight sim sad

My SE mods and addons

Forum » SpaceEngine » Off-topic Discussions » Video game thread (Do you guys play any?)
Page 18 of 58«1216171819205758»
Search: