Русский New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 12 of 58«1210111213145758»
Forum » SpaceEngine » Off-topic Discussions » Video game thread (Do you guys play any?)
Video game thread
werdnaforeverDate: Tuesday, 30.10.2012, 01:21 | Message # 166
World Builder
Group: Users
United States
Quote (anonymousgamer)
Lucky *commence jealousy*

I wonder if I'll actually get it on the 30th... stupid hurricane sandy...

Also, I'm in the Planetside 2 beta. It's pretty cool.

Things I like:
-The graphics are really great considering the scale of the areas you're playing in... really!
-The huge, open world gameplay with more players than your mind can comprehend
-Vanu Sovereignty FTW...

Things I didn't like:
-The aircraft controls are too clunky and hard to handle. Maybe I'm expecting too much from an arcade-style game, but I stand by my point. Then again, at least there are aircraft...
-Getting killed by other players, but that's my fault when it happens
-Hurricane Sandy: it has nothing to do with Planetside 2, but I still don't like it
-While I understand the reasoning of the "perpetual conflict" on the colony (if it ends, then there's no game), and appreciate the fact that games like this exist, I think it sort of takes some of the motivation away. In a single player FPS that's story driven, anticipation for missions and battles adds a lot to the experience.
-Did I mention hurricane sandy yet? You know- that hurricane? The awful one?
-The clouds look terrible (but it's not a distraction)

anonymousgamerDate: Tuesday, 30.10.2012, 02:33 | Message # 167
World Builder
Group: Global Moderators
United States
Quote (werdnaforever)
Also, I'm in the Planetside 2 beta.

Quote (werdnaforever)
Things I didn't like: (list of items)

because

Quote (werdnaforever)
beta

Desktop: FX-8350 4.0 GHz, 8 GB DDR3 RAM, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW 8 GB, 2 TB HDD, 24 inch 1920x1080 screen
Laptop: Core i5 480M 2.66 GHz (turbo 2.93), 8 GB DDR3 RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6550m 1 GB, 640 GB HDD, 17.3 inch 1600x900 screen

Edited by anonymousgamer - Tuesday, 30.10.2012, 02:34

HarbingerDawnDate: Tuesday, 30.10.2012, 02:59 | Message # 168
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Quote (anonymousgamer)
because
Quote (werdnaforever)
beta

Most of the things he listed had absolutely nothing at all to do with it being a beta...

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

anonymousgamerDate: Tuesday, 30.10.2012, 03:11 | Message # 169
World Builder
United States
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
Most of the things he listed had absolutely nothing at all to do with it being a beta...

This is true...

Anyways, I've signed up for the beta, I really want to try it out.

Desktop: FX-8350 4.0 GHz, 8 GB DDR3 RAM, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW 8 GB, 2 TB HDD, 24 inch 1920x1080 screen
Laptop: Core i5 480M 2.66 GHz (turbo 2.93), 8 GB DDR3 RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6550m 1 GB, 640 GB HDD, 17.3 inch 1600x900 screen

werdnaforeverDate: Tuesday, 30.10.2012, 13:31 | Message # 170
World Builder
United States
I survived "post tropical storm" Sandy- I still have power! And, Amazon says they are preparing my item for shipping. Finally...
As for my criticisms of P2- don't take them too seriously.

Also, I'm curious:

What do you guys think of the Wii U? IMO, I think Nintendo began to realize that MS and Sony were serious about a long life-cycle for current consoles. They are out of the Wii's league, and the Wii U is what I see as Nintendo's attempt to catch up with their competitors (at least until PS4/Xbox720, when the cycle will just repeat) And what's with the controller? The fact that they have an alternate Wii U Pro Controller, which by some kind of cosmic coincidence looks strikingly similar to the 360's, speaks to the fact that the new controller is cool, unusual, silly, gimmicky, and overkill, all rolled up together and put into a blender (if you'll pardon the metaphor).

Ever since the DS, Nintendo seems obligated to make some kind of new innovation/gimmick in their consoles. First, it was dual screens... then motion controls... then a shameless jump into "3D" fad, and now this. What's next? Smell-o-vision?

pebbleDate: Tuesday, 30.10.2012, 19:52 | Message # 171
Astronaut
United States
Has anyone mentioned the game Aurora yet? It's a vast 4x (explore, expand, exploit, exterminate) game, often called "Dwarf Fortress In Space" and it's free. I have not yet tried it, but I linked some of my Dwarf Fortress-fan-friends to it. They curse me now, for having gotten totally addicted.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=47678.0

Edited by pebble - Tuesday, 30.10.2012, 20:57

DisasterpieceDate: Wednesday, 31.10.2012, 20:51 | Message # 172
World Builder
United States
Anyone played Sauerbraten? It's a free fps that allows you to edit maps in game.

I play teh spase engien

SpaceEngineerDate: Wednesday, 31.10.2012, 21:04 | Message # 173
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
Quote (pebble)
Has anyone mentioned the game Aurora yet?

We have discussed it on Russian forum. "Aurora" is one of the names purposed (by me) for the game based on SE.

HarbingerDawnDate: Friday, 02.11.2012, 02:34 | Message # 174
Cosmic Curator
United States
I just found out about a totally cute little game that helps to visualize the effects of relativity. It's called "A Slower Speed of Light". The gameplay is fairly simple: you collect orbs to lower the speed of light to the speed of your character. As the speed of light gets slower, however, relativistic effects become more noticeable. You start being able to see in infrared and ultraviolet, the intensity of light changes, and your perspective begins to warp due to Lorentz transformation. Time dilation is also simulated.

Download it here: http://gamelab.mit.edu/games/a-slower-speed-of-light/

My SE mods and addons

Edited by HarbingerDawn - Friday, 02.11.2012, 02:36

werdnaforeverDate: Friday, 02.11.2012, 03:32 | Message # 175
World Builder
United States
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
I just found out about a totally cute little game that helps to visualize the effects of relativity. It's called "A Slower Speed of Light". The gameplay is fairly simple: you collect orbs to lower the speed of light to the speed of your character. As the speed of light gets slower, however, relativistic effects become more noticeable. You start being able to see in infrared and ultraviolet, the intensity of light changes, and your perspective begins to warp due to Lorentz transformation. Time dilation is also simulated.

Download it here: http://gamelab.mit.edu/games/a-slower-speed-of-light/

It seems like if this totally cute game was real, the constant collisions of the countless particles in your body with the countless particles in the environment at near light speed would probably annihilate a large portion of the planet (if not all of it) in a gigantic nuclear fusion explosion. How fun!

Seriously though, I'm going to check it out.

Antza2Date: Friday, 02.11.2012, 13:01 | Message # 176
World Builder
Finland
I found this cool life simulator called "Game of Life".

You can download it from here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/smoothlife/

Go to antza2.deviantart.com for cool photos!

HarbingerDawnDate: Friday, 02.11.2012, 13:23 | Message # 177
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (Antza2)
I found this cool life simulator called "Game of Life".

It's like Conway's Game of Life 2.0! Cool!

EDIT: That bit in the video at 2:13 when the little things were dancing was SO CUTE! ♥

My SE mods and addons

Edited by HarbingerDawn - Friday, 02.11.2012, 13:26

DisasterpieceDate: Saturday, 03.11.2012, 03:55 | Message # 178
World Builder
United States
People who like orbiter might want to check out Spaceway. It is like space engine just lower graphics

I play teh spase engien

SpaceEngineerDate: Saturday, 03.11.2012, 07:09 | Message # 179
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
Quote (HarbingerDawn)

That creature reminds me a girl from "Journey" game and Kenny from South Park smile

SpaceEngineerDate: Saturday, 03.11.2012, 07:09 | Message # 180
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
http://dg8.ru/

Dreams Gate is a game based on the "Star Gate" universe, developed by a Russian guy Roman Vereshagin. The game generates procedural planets with erosion effects (!), cool water and clouds. It already has a network system - you can walk on a planet and shoot other players (however the server is offline). Look at the screenshots:

Download:

Last demo client
http://server.dg8.ru/dl/demo-1.20.mod.1_patch.rar

Since the server is offline, press the "Play offline" button when game loaded, or open console by pressing [~] and type "run". This version has no spaceships. To fly over surface, open console and type "fly". To switch back to walking mode, type "fly". After first launch, the screen resolution and fullscreen mode can be adjusted in the config.xml file in the game's main folder.

Forum » SpaceEngine » Off-topic Discussions » Video game thread (Do you guys play any?)
Page 12 of 58«1210111213145758»
Search: