Русский New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 1 of 171231617»
Forum » SpaceEngine » Off-topic Discussions » Newspace (Thread for keeping up with space industry developments)
Newspace
OrbitalResonanceDate: Tuesday, 28.08.2012, 16:20 | Message # 1
Astronaut
Group: Users
United States
This thread is for discussions related to the ongoing commercial spaceflight revolution. This includes NASA's Commercial Resupply Services and Commercial Crew Program initiatives. Discussion specifically about SpaceX mission operations should go in the SpaceX Missions Thread.

Discussion related to manned spaceflight by governments should go here. Discussion related to unmanned spaceflight should go here.

There is a new revolution underway, a revolution that promises a dramatic cost reduction in spaceflight. Low cost spaceflight will change everything we think about getting and utilizing space.

Check out http://www.parabolicarc.com/ for updated on the newspace industry. Another good source is scoop it http://www.scoop.it/t/new-space-a-new-era-in-space-exploration
______

SpaceX's next launch will be in October with its first real ISS resupply mission.

XCOR aerospaces Lynx suborbital plane will fly from Cape Canaveral http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2012....ane-ksc

Masten Aerospace is continuing testing on their Xombie test bed and are releasing some cool videos on their youtube channel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyIWjHflZjA&feature=plcp

"We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers" - Carl Sagan

Edited by HarbingerDawn - Monday, 01.09.2014, 20:22

OrbitalResonanceDate: Sunday, 02.09.2012, 19:49 | Message # 2
Astronaut
United States
How many of you here are familiar with the B612 foundation? They are a private group aiming to launch a space telescope to find threatening asteroids. The telescope will be built by ball aerospace and launched into a Venus like heliocentric orbit.

http://b612foundation.org/

"We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers" - Carl Sagan

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Sunday, 02.09.2012, 19:51 | Message # 3
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
Pirate
Sounds pretty cool.

Even if they don't succeed I think its great they are trying.

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

OrbitalResonanceDate: Sunday, 02.09.2012, 20:27 | Message # 4
Astronaut
United States
Another thing i like is that their launch vehicle will be a Falcon 9.

HarbingerDawnDate: Sunday, 02.09.2012, 20:59 | Message # 5
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Quote (OrbitalResonance)
Another thing i like is that their launch vehicle will be a Falcon 9

Gotta love that. I can't wait to see the Falcon 9 v1.1 go up. Hopefully sometime next spring maybe, if I had to guess. Same goes for Falcon Heavy. If I can I hope to see the first FH launch from Cape Canaveral in 2014.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

OrbitalResonanceDate: Monday, 03.09.2012, 02:32 | Message # 6
Astronaut
United States
Mmm, regular F9 Launches. Their manifest is getting busy, stealing more of the market share away with each launch. The First Falcon heavy is supposed to launch from Vandenburn in 2013

OrbitalResonanceDate: Monday, 03.09.2012, 03:28 | Message # 7
Astronaut
United States
Spinoff from B612

http://www.satelliteonthenet.co.uk/index.php/2013

Im looking at the future launch scheduled for the rest of this year and next few, SpaceX is getting there. First Orbcomm fight with the falcon 9 1.1 is scheduled for January. Along with 2 other commercial satllite. I cannot wait for this regular business to get going. Not only because Falcon 9 flights are great, but because this is the core of their business that will allow them to continue to exist, expand, and innovate. Each launch is important.

There are supposed to be two more flights this year, both ISS missions. Once in October, and another in December. On the 2012 upcoming list there is a listing for Lightsail-1 on a falcon 9, which is both exciting me and confusing me. Its either piggybacking on one of the other F9 launches or is a mistaken F1 flight.

2015 looks exciting on there, crewed launches, sundancer, dragonlabs, heavy flights.

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Monday, 03.09.2012, 03:32 | Message # 8
Galaxy Architect
Pirate
I just hope I live long enough to see average humans going to space. SpaceX is one of the companies I am rooting for as Elon has a great vision.

EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

Edited by DoctorOfSpace - Monday, 03.09.2012, 03:32

OrbitalResonanceDate: Monday, 03.09.2012, 03:48 | Message # 9
Astronaut
United States

=D

HarbingerDawnDate: Sunday, 16.09.2012, 16:07 | Message # 10
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (OrbitalResonance)
First Orbcomm fight with the falcon 9 1.1 is scheduled for January. Along with 2 other commercial satllite. I cannot wait for this regular business to get going.

Given their history so far, combined with the realistic difficulties of spaceflight, I would not expect everything on their manifests to go down as planned. For example, that Orbcomm launch was supposed to have happened in 2010 I think, perhaps earlier. They have pushed back a lot of things on their manifest and have yet to reorganize them into a realistic and achievable schedule. So I would be very surprised to see that F9 1.1 launch actually take place in January. They have never done anything close to a one-month turnaround on the F9 launch facility and I don't think that their new rocket is going to change that on its maiden voyage (it is launching from Cape Canaveral, right?)

Quote (OrbitalResonance)
Its either piggybacking on one of the other F9 launches or is a mistaken F1 flight.

It's almost certainly a piggyback. SpaceX has been continually putting off its implementation of F1e due to other priorities and (I assume) relative lack of demand. I don't remember all the reasons. But it has really faded into the background and they've stopped talking about it recently. Originally its maiden flight was supposed to have been this year.

EDIT: SpaceX did suspend the F1e program due to lack of demand, and all F1e payloads are now scheduled to be flown on Falcon 9. No F1e launches are on the manifest (which runs through 2017), the vehicle is no longer on the market, and I would personally be very surprised if it ever flies.

Quote (OrbitalResonance)
The First Falcon heavy is supposed to launch from Vandenburn in 2013

Yes, probably in spring like I said. But I can't wait for the first Cape launch, which I think they have penned for 2014.

I'm also glad to see that they've completed a wet dress rehearsal for next month's launch happy It's getting to be about that time again...

Update: 4 weeks until the first operational ISS launch smile

One of my favorite pictures of Dragon is this still from a video of its approach to the ISS. You can find it on Wikipedia under the article for the Draco thruster (I actually made and uploaded this, it required a lot of editing to get the video still looking decent, there were a ton of hot pixels and other issues). You can clearly see one of the Dracos firing smile

My SE mods and addons

HarbingerDawnDate: Friday, 26.10.2012, 19:27 | Message # 11
Cosmic Curator
United States
A brilliant pumpkin from a SpaceX fan at NASA biggrin

On the subject of CRS-1, Dragon is scheduled to depart from the station and return to Earth on Sunday, with splashdown targeted for 19:20 UTC

My SE mods and addons

Antza2Date: Friday, 26.10.2012, 20:26 | Message # 12
World Builder
Finland
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
A brilliant pumpkin from a SpaceX fan at NASA

That is just awesome. cool

Go to antza2.deviantart.com for cool photos!

HarbingerDawnDate: Tuesday, 06.11.2012, 02:53 | Message # 13
Cosmic Curator
United States
SpaceX's Grasshopper vehicle made its first respectable hop, rising 5.4 meters (17.7 feet) into the air. If it doesn't look like it, that's because the vehicle is HUGE! It is the first stage of a Falcon 9 rocket smile

Grasshopper is a test vehicle for developing techniques and practices for operating a rocket stage in powered flight, including controlled descent and landing. This will help to develop a rapidly reusable rocket, which will revolutionize spaceflight and bring the costs down to a fraction of what they are today.

My SE mods and addons

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Tuesday, 06.11.2012, 02:58 | Message # 14
Galaxy Architect
Pirate
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
This will help to develop a rapidly reusable rocket, which will revolutionize spaceflight and bring the costs down to a fraction of what they are today.

That is the most exciting news I have heard in a long time.

EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

HarbingerDawnDate: Tuesday, 06.11.2012, 09:14 | Message # 15
Cosmic Curator
United States
Here is a fantastic interview with Elon Musk first posted on the Russian forum where he talks about these topics, among others:

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/10/ff-elon-musk-qa/all/

My SE mods and addons

Forum » SpaceEngine » Off-topic Discussions » Newspace (Thread for keeping up with space industry developments)
Page 1 of 171231617»
Search: