Русский New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 26 of 30«1224252627282930»
Forum » SpaceEngine » Off-topic Discussions » The Future of Humanity & Intelligent life in the universe
The Future of Humanity & Intelligent life in the universe
WatsisnameDate: Tuesday, 04.10.2016, 09:06 | Message # 376
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
United States
Well, there's not enough fossil fuels to maintain that level of combustion for the 10,000 years necessary to drop the concentration to 10%, so I don't think we'd hypoxia ourselves to death at least. But with all the other things going on, I think the situation is in pretty dire need [overdue, even] of adjustment.

Meanwhile, Trump is surrounding himself with people who like him think climate change either isn't real or isn't a problem, and his plans would involve dramatically increasing our usage of fossil fuels. A huge step backwards for this country if he's elected.

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Tuesday, 04.10.2016, 17:01 | Message # 377
Galaxy Architect
Pirate
Quote Watsisname ()
Well, there's not enough fossil fuels to maintain that level of combustion for the 10,000 years necessary to drop the concentration to 10%

The rate of oxygen depletion is not just linked with the burning of fossil fuels. Deforestation and ocean acidification should also affect Oxygen levels, though I don't think it would get to 10% depletion even if it speeds up. Even a depletion of a few percent would have some very dire repercussions, and then you have all the other issues of radically changing the environment.

Personally I will remain optimistic that some technology will help solve the issues, maybe if true AI happens it can come up with a solution. (Like wiping out humanity because it deems us the root of the problem)

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

AerospacefagDate: Tuesday, 04.10.2016, 21:16 | Message # 378
Pioneer
Group: Users
Russian Federation
Quote DoctorOfSpace ()
Factoring in current CO2 emissions, methane emissions, deforestation, ocean acidifcation, and the reduction of oxygen in the atmosphere it would seem humans have less than 1000 years for Earth to remain habitable and that may be optimistic

Of course, there is no reason to be optimistic since the industry development reate continues to rise exponentially, and 1000 years is estimated for the case of linear graph (say, if we stop building any more facilities right now). With account to exponential grouth idea, we have less then 100 years of growth, and within our lifetime these long-term effects of climate change will start to hit us, regardless of our slack efforts to prevent it.

Quote DoctorOfSpace ()
The rate of oxygen depletion is not just linked with the burning of fossil fuels. Deforestation and ocean acidification should also affect Oxygen levels, though I don't think it would get to 10% depletion even if it speeds up. Even a depletion of a few percent would have some very dire repercussions, and then you have all the other issues of radically changing the environment.

Modern study of climate change, especially it's practical realization, is very rudimentary and superficial, and mostly used for influencing economies of developing countries to gain market advantage. It was always like that, and it will always be like that, less developed countries will have to deal with problems all by themselves, while more rich countries are going to use them to solve their problems.

Recently I saw a documentary about water problems in modern world, and it it is estimated that due to industry demands we are going to hit the wall in less then 30 years.

Edited by Aerospacefag - Tuesday, 04.10.2016, 21:21

HornblowerDate: Tuesday, 04.10.2016, 21:20 | Message # 379
World Builder
United States
By the time I die, I want to be able to understand consciousness. The topic has always fascinated me that a bunch of chemical reactions can create the feeling of consciousness. We are probably closer than we think to finally getting the answer!

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Tuesday, 04.10.2016, 21:34 | Message # 380
Galaxy Architect
Pirate
Quote Aerospacefag ()
With account to exponential grouth idea, we have less then 100 years of growth, and within our lifetime these long-term effects of climate change will start to hit us, regardless of our slack efforts to prevent it.

It doesn't paint a pretty picture.

Quote Aerospacefag ()
Recently I saw a documentary about water problems in modern world, and it it is estimated that due to industry demands we are going to hit the wall in less then 30 years.

The thing about water is wealthy nations have the means to afford to build desalination plants so they won't be affected as badly as poor nations.

EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

AerospacefagDate: Tuesday, 04.10.2016, 21:41 | Message # 381
Pioneer
Russian Federation
Quote DoctorOfSpace ()
The thing about water is wealthy nations have the means to afford to build desalination plants so they won't be affected as badly as poor nations.

We have to hope it wouldn't go as far as building desalination and filtering stations because it is so expensive and energy-demanding, that only richest countries can afford it. The pure water will be more expensive than a gasoline.

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Tuesday, 04.10.2016, 21:46 | Message # 382
Galaxy Architect
Pirate
Technically once you built the plant and if you power it by using solar/wind/wave/geothermal it drives the price down. Wealthy governments could also subsidize these desalination plants, but you are not wrong about it being detrimental to poorer nations as they will not be able to afford to build such things.

EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

spacerDate: Tuesday, 04.10.2016, 21:58 | Message # 383
Star Engineer
Israel
acutally my country have 5 desalination plants and on 2013 it gave us half of all drinking water we used that year.
and today its even more than half.
the country water wasting here is 2200 Million cubic meters per year
and and in 2050 the water that will be used from desalination plants gonna be 1750 Million cubic meters per year.
the population gonna be higher too that year so lets say these plants gonna bring us around half of the water

"we began as wanderers, and we are wanderers still"
-carl sagan

-space engine photographer

Edited by spacer - Tuesday, 04.10.2016, 21:59

WatsisnameDate: Tuesday, 04.10.2016, 23:33 | Message # 384
Galaxy Architect
United States
Quote Hornblower ()
By the time I die, I want to be able to understand consciousness. The topic has always fascinated me that a bunch of chemical reactions can create the feeling of consciousness.

Me too! happy It's a really cool topic which is getting a lot of attention in recent years.

BananaDate: Wednesday, 05.10.2016, 22:10 | Message # 385
Astronaut
United States
I wonder if there are different forms of consciousness. If a combination of chemical reactions lead to our own form of consciousness, couldn't another set of occurrences lead to a completely different category of sentience?

Hello.

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Thursday, 06.10.2016, 02:42 | Message # 386
Galaxy Architect
Pirate
Banana, of course there are. There is probably a base awareness any complex processing system has, but it is pretty clear my dog doesn't experience the world in the same way I do.

EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

JackDoleDate: Thursday, 06.10.2016, 05:48 | Message # 387
Star Engineer
Group: Local Moderators
Germany
Quote DoctorOfSpace ()
There is probably a base awareness any complex processing system has, but it is pretty clear my dog doesn't experience the world in the same way I do.

I think this is not what Banana means.

I think he means, whether other processes could lead to consciousness.
For example, electronic processes, such as in computers.

I would not, therefore, limit it to chemical processes, but say that it are physical processes that lead to consciousness.

I think, computers, if they are complex enough, could one day develop awareness.

Don't forget to look here.

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Thursday, 06.10.2016, 05:52 | Message # 388
Galaxy Architect
Pirate
Quote JackDole ()
I would not, therefore, limit it to chemical processes, but say that it are physical processes that lead to consciousness.

Yes but that is what I meant. Regardless of the medium some form of environmental awareness will develop and I think at it's core it will have something in common with other methods of creating consciousness.

Quote JackDole ()
I think, computers, if they are complex enough, could one day develop awareness.

Computers already have awareness and the ability to process their environments.

My personal view is not shared by many, but I consider computers and robots to be alive. They share all the properties of a living organism including the ability to function in certain environments.

EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

JackDoleDate: Thursday, 06.10.2016, 06:30 | Message # 389
Star Engineer
Group: Local Moderators
Germany
Quote DoctorOfSpace ()
but I consider computers and robots to be alive.

If one takes the concept of life and consciousness very wide.

I think, for example, that all animals have a form of consciousness.
Of course in very different scope. Fleas for example have a very low form of awareness, dogs and cats already have a fairly high form.
The consciousness of dolphins, orangutans, ravens, in my opinion, come very close to our form of consciousness.

So close that, in my opinion, the killing of such animals should be classified as murder.

In my opinion, plants also have something like consciousness.

In this sense one could classify computers as a very low form of life, with a very low level of consciousness.

Don't forget to look here.

WatsisnameDate: Thursday, 06.10.2016, 06:33 | Message # 390
Galaxy Architect
United States
DoctorOfSpace, have you heard of or played the game SOMA? It has the skin of a survival horror game, but inside is an absolutely brilliant examination of the nature of consciousness and the teletransportation paradox, particularly with copying human brain scans into machines. If you haven't seen it I think you'd get a lot out of it. smile

Forum » SpaceEngine » Off-topic Discussions » The Future of Humanity & Intelligent life in the universe
Page 26 of 30«1224252627282930»
Search: