Page 1 of 212»
Forum » SpaceEngine » Off-topic Discussions » Space Movies
Space Movies
TalismanDate: Saturday, 29.10.2011, 06:23 | Message # 1
Pioneer
Group: Users
United States
Any good ones?

I just recently saw Sunshine (2007), and wow that's a really great film, made me want to see more space movies that are slightly realistic.

RobbieDate: Saturday, 29.10.2011, 06:50 | Message # 2
Pioneer
Group: Global Moderators
United Kingdom
Sunshine is a good film. I absolutely love Sci-fi films. But if you want realism in a film then I recommend 'District 9.' It was made by Neill Blomkamp, it was his first major box office film, he's known more for his short sci-fi films on Youtube. I think he has a rather unique style that takes sci-fi fantasy and adds realism to it, which makes it seem more believable, imo. It has some great sound fx too, I especially loved the sound of the "vaporizer" gun, but it needs to be heard in the cinema to be really appreciated. cool

Another great movie is "Starman." It's quite old now (1984), but it has a great story. It has a universal kindness theme to it, of "If Jesus were a spaceman." smile

update: link to Neill Blomkamp short film Halo 3: Landfall

Quad Core i7 930 CPU o/c 3.8 GHz - 6GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM - ATI HD 5870 1024Mb - Intel SSD X25-M Gen 2 - Win 7 64-bit
Add Your PC Spec To Your Signature Or Post It Here

neutronium76Date: Saturday, 29.10.2011, 08:51 | Message # 3
World Builder
Greece
I agree with both of you. Sunshine has great music (from Jhon Murphy - not Moby as I thought initially) but District 9 has great visuals. Actually really great visuals - it is as if the alien ship was actually floating above Johannesburg. Another recent film with really good visuals is Battle Los Angeles.
Starman and Close Encounters are two films which I call "sister" films because they have this emotional aspect in them which is a characteristic of the 80's sci-fi movies. Both great movies by theway. I think that scifi movies of the past were more dramatic and emotional and with more realistic but less spectacular visuals. The producers didn't have modern computing power and tech goodies of today so they had to improvise a lot. Movies like star wars episodes IV, V, VI, close encounters, starman, alien, and of course the 1969 epic: 2001 a space odyssey and its less known sequel 2010: the year we made contact, are examples of such films. Modern scifis have more spectacular visual effects but lack in plot and realism. Examples are Star Wars Episode I,II,III, Independence Day. But all this is my HO and subject to criticism.

PC1:Core i7 970@3.34GHz, 6 cores/12 threads, 12GB DDR3 RAM@1.34GHz, 2x(SLI) GTX-580 GPUs 3GB VRAM(GDDR5)@1GHz, OS:Win7x64SP1
PC2:Core2Quad X9770@3.2GHz, 2 cores/4 threads 4GB DDR2 RAM@1GHz, GTX-285 GPU 1GB VRAM(DDR3)@1.24GHz, OS:WinVistax64SP2

RobbieDate: Saturday, 29.10.2011, 11:51 | Message # 4
Pioneer
United Kingdom
I love the first Stars Wars trilogy too, it has a nice simple plot/story-line: Boy meets girl, boy saves girl, boy desires girl, girl won't put out, boy kills baddies to vent frustration... smile

Even though I like all the latest Star Wars films for their spectacular special FX (yet another computer graphics cinematic wankfest) smile The only thing I disliked about the new trilogy was the storyline. It was way too political, too lost in itself with stupid trading and economics dialogues. I mean does any one care about such complexities in a film? All Lucas had to do was keep it simple, and use the old tried and tested formula that worked so well in the original films.

Quad Core i7 930 CPU o/c 3.8 GHz - 6GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM - ATI HD 5870 1024Mb - Intel SSD X25-M Gen 2 - Win 7 64-bit

neutronium76Date: Saturday, 29.10.2011, 14:24 | Message # 5
World Builder
Greece
I love the first Stars Wars trilogy too, it has a nice simple plot/story-line: Boy meets girl, boy saves girl, boy desires girl, girl won't put out, boy kills baddies to vent frustration...

Even though I like all the latest Star Wars films for their spectacular special FX (yet another computer graphics cinematic wankfest) The only thing I disliked about the new trilogy was the storyline. It was way too political, too lost in itself with stupid trading and economics dialogues. I mean does any one care about such complexities in a film? All Lucas had to do was keep it simple, and use the old tried and tested formula that worked so well in the original films.

The success of the first trilogy (although the 2nd part of the story i.e episode IV,V and VI) was not only due to the fact that it was simple. Although simple, it had a deeper kind of plot, a kind of mystery hidden in the past: The good guy was the son of the bad guy but you didn't know that until the end of the 1st (IV) or the beginning of the 2nd (V) episode (I cant remember the point exactly even though I've watched all of them hundreds of times wacko ). Also there was another mystery and a kind of erotic dramma very similar to Greek type tragedies (those written by some sick-minded Greeks when Greece was at its political and social/economic bloom around 300-400 BC). And the dramma was that Lia and Luke were almost lovers but (unknown to them until the last episode) also brother-sister. And there dad was the bad guy! Now in the current releases (episode I,II,III) all this info was known to the public! So Lucas had to find something stronger than that in order to create a really intresting plot - and he failed sad . I could write for hours and hours about what he could have done in order to make the plot better, and so does anybody. I am going to say one word : Darth Veider. The actor was really really insufficient for this role. And episode III prooved that more than anything else. His transformation from Jedi to Darth Veider was almost forced by the plot. There was only one scene that was really good and justified his tranformation: his blind love for qween abdala who became unexpectedly ill and soon to die. He wanted to defeat death itself and for that he was willing to sacrifice anything. He was willing to go to the dark side of the force to do that. And this point should have been stressed further by the scenario writers and not the political/economic storyline as you correctly pointed Robbie. Sorry for beeing too bla-bla.

PC1:Core i7 970@3.34GHz, 6 cores/12 threads, 12GB DDR3 RAM@1.34GHz, 2x(SLI) GTX-580 GPUs 3GB VRAM(GDDR5)@1GHz, OS:Win7x64SP1
PC2:Core2Quad X9770@3.2GHz, 2 cores/4 threads 4GB DDR2 RAM@1GHz, GTX-285 GPU 1GB VRAM(DDR3)@1.24GHz, OS:WinVistax64SP2

RobbieDate: Sunday, 30.10.2011, 08:39 | Message # 6
Pioneer
United Kingdom
You're not too 'bla bla' at all... your opinion on all this has me interested smile

DraidonDate: Saturday, 12.11.2011, 03:48 | Message # 7
Observer
Group: Newbies
Canada
Not a movie but there is a fantastic sci-fi anime series called Planetes. Summed up in three words its "garbage-men in space" but its really a whole lot more than that and it is just fantastic, with plenty of attention to detail with scientific accuracy.

I Prefer hard sci-fi more than those that throw all plausibility out the window to make room for more lasers, its just a shame there isn't more of it.

RobbieDate: Saturday, 12.11.2011, 10:28 | Message # 8
Pioneer
United Kingdom
Quote (Draidon)
Not a movie but there is a fantastic sci-fi anime series called Planetes. Summed up in three words its "garbage-men in space" but its really a whole lot more than that and it is just fantastic, with plenty of attention to detail with scientific accuracy.

I haven't seen that series. but it sounds similar to the garbage collectors in the WALL-E film.

Quote (Draidon)
I Prefer hard sci-fi more than those that throw all plausibility out the window to make room for more lasers, its just a shame there isn't more of it.

I remember the Star Trek 4 film threw away plausibility just for the sake of drama, using creative license to ignore the continuity from the series technical manuals i.e its 'bible.' For example in the film, the crew use their ship to travel back in time by doing a sling-shot maneuver around the Sun. It takes 8-minutes for light to travel from the Sun to Earth. In the film it takes the ship nearly 3-minutes to get from Earth to the Sun. By my reckoning, even allowing for quick acceleration from warp 1 to warp 5, they would have been at the Sun within ~15 seconds. And if they had jumped to warp 9 they would have been travelling at 1015c (at 0.32 of a second to arrive at the sun).

desertsoldier22Date: Tuesday, 15.11.2011, 10:04 | Message # 9
Astronaut
United States
My favorite Sci-Fi franchise was never a movie but the new Battlestar Galactica was pretty accurate when it came to Newtonian Physics and in the first few episodes they potrayed space as the silent void that many space shows (like Star Trek) seem to forget. The ships in BSG only emit sound when the camera is in the exhaust wake or in an atmosphere. Even the FTL effects are cool, its like a folding space drive. They eschew particle weapons in favor of rail guns and other projectiles, also the technology is very believable.

Also as a member of the armed services, the show portrays issues that effect us everyday (without alien robots that look like supermodels of course). The dialogue, military courtesy and terminology show that a lot of thought went into accuracy. Like Stargate, there must have been a really good military advisor present. The only inaccuracies I saw was the episode when the star went nova, it was obviously a G or K spectral type star, no way it could go nova unless it was artificially stimulated. (I am researching supernovas for a potential novel)

Edited by desertsoldier22 - Tuesday, 15.11.2011, 10:11

SpaceEngineerDate: Tuesday, 15.11.2011, 14:39 | Message # 10
Author of Space Engine
Group: Administrators
Russian Federation
I like how spaceship explosions are rendered in Battlestar Galactica. All others are unbelieveble - technology (except robots and hyperdrive), culture, social structure - all on an XX century level. Space civilization must be much more developed.

The StarGate series has a much more interesting story. Space combat rendering is done very well too. It has very impressive story twists - as they use existing technology in an unusual way. Remember how Replicators use the star-gate to teleport a powerful laser beam from generators built on their planet to Atlantis. Or how Teal'c telefragged Ori's ship by opening a super star-gate when the ship flew through the stargate's splash area.

PS: I've added an easter egg related to Battlestar Galactica in new SE version wink

desertsoldier22Date: Wednesday, 16.11.2011, 13:07 | Message # 11
Astronaut
United States
I like how Carter made a G-type star blow up by dialing up a gate from a planet sucked up by a black hole, then ejecting the gate into the sun's core. That's one of the theories I am investigating, whether an artificial singularity or natural one could upset the gravitational/radiating balance of a star and make it blow up (shed its outer layers).

There is a book series I would love to see adapted for T.V., In fact I hope to make a script for the new version that represents the worlds. The Coyote series written by Allen Steele involves colonization efforts on a theoretical moon around 47 Ursa Majoris B . It has roughly 80% of the mass of the Earth and has no oceans but a world wide river system, with a large equatorial river. It postulates that 47 UMA B has enough mass to radiate enough heat to keep the moon warm (UMA B is 1.6 A.U. from its G2V primary). Other worlds in the books are around Rho Corona Borealis, Episilon Indi and they portray the 51 Pegasi system.

Premise sounds like Avatar (the first book was written in 2003) but it is way better.

As far as Battlestar Galactica's advancement is concerned, the war with the Cylons rendered computer technology useless at best and dangerous at worse. They human race had to regress in technology in a lot of ways to prevent the enemy from taking advantage. In the show Caprica the technology is far greater, even though it is set 60 years prior to the events of BSG. It is also feasible for races to develop different technologies at different rates. Imagine what could have happened if a jump drive technology was accidentally stumbled upon in the 30's. Or the splitting the atom was discovered in the 1800's. We could feasibly be far ahead space and weapon-wise but at the same level when it comes to computers. I honestly thought when I was a kid that we would be on Mars by now, but it seems technology for entertainment proceeds at a faster rate than tech used for advancement of the race.

Edited by desertsoldier22 - Wednesday, 16.11.2011, 13:18

SpaceEngineerDate: Wednesday, 16.11.2011, 14:40 | Message # 12
Author of Space Engine
Group: Administrators
Russian Federation
I remember a children's book where a map of our solar system showed several satellites and space stations positioned around Earth, with Apollo's landing modules on the Moon, and soviet space stations "Venera" orbiting Venus and "Mars" orbiting Mars. I really thought that "space station" was the same as a "railway station", and that we could buy a ticket on a spaceship and go to Venus or Mars. What a disappointment awaited me in the future! sad

MassiveEffectDate: Tuesday, 22.11.2011, 03:57 | Message # 13
Space Tourist
Canada
Serenity is a good one. It was originally a TV series called Firefly but was later adapted into a movie. it has a 7.9/10 on imdb which is quite good comparing to the vast amounts of films out there.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0379786/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serenity_%28film%29

I7 2600k @ 4.5Ghz / 16GB 2133Mhz Ram / GTX 970 4GB / Crucial M4 SSD X 2 / Win7 64bit / 3840 x 2160 Resolution

neutronium76Date: Monday, 28.11.2011, 20:18 | Message # 14
World Builder
Greece
If anyone is interested I am downloading Battlestar Galactica complete series 720p quality via torrent as it is not broadcasted in my country by any channel. It is 173.32GB size so it requires a lot of patience. Seeds range from 1 to 4. Hope it doesn't become 0 cry . I am currently at 78.4%. About 37.17GB remaining dry

curiousepicDate: Friday, 23.12.2011, 00:18 | Message # 15
Space Pilot
Group: SE team
United States
The trailer for Prometheus was finally released today. I love the spacesuit design. My only worry is that so many scenes parallel Alien so closely...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sftuxbvGwiU

My ideal preferences for visual design of the mothership and technology in SE
Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality

Forum » SpaceEngine » Off-topic Discussions » Space Movies
Page 1 of 212»
Search: