Русский New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 1 of 212»
Forum » SpaceEngine » Off-topic Discussions » Mars Expedition1 Mod for Vehicle Simulator (A total conversion mod to explore the entire Mars)
Mars Expedition1 Mod for Vehicle Simulator
JafergonDate: Sunday, 08.09.2013, 23:33 | Message # 1
Observer
Group: Newbies
Spain
Hi!
My name is Javier Fernandez and I'd like to show you a project I've been working for several months. Mars Expedition1 is a total conversion mod that transforms an indie sim called Vehicle Simulator into a Mars simulator. Vehicle simulator is a mix of Flight Simulator and a driving and sailing sim.
I chose it beacuse it has very easy and yet poweful scenery creation tools. It covers 100% of mars surface elevation with a resolution of 128 pix/deg based on NASA's Mars Orbiter Laser Altimeter data. As far as I know it is the first time you can explore freely the entire Mars in a game in first person view, driving rovers, walkin in an EVA suit and many more vehicles. Night/day cycles and controllable weather are also featured.
I've also included some High-resoultion areas based on Mars HIRISE data from NASA. I'll be adding more high resolution areas soon.
The mod includes a series of missions that simulates a future mission to Mars and will help you understand the features of the mod. You can also add objects and vehicles in-game to the scenery to create your own bases or situations.
It has a some limitations, due to the Earth's nature of Vehicle simulator, but they do not ruin the experience.
I've been working for nearly 9 months on it and I released it las week. It's a freeware project and you can download it here:
http://marsexpedition1.com/
more info here:
https://www.facebook.com/marsexpedition1

Trailer here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Crv5kfc4_pw

Best regards,
Javier Fernandez

NovaSiliskoDate: Monday, 09.09.2013, 00:02 | Message # 2
Explorer
Group: SE team
United States

DisasterpieceDate: Monday, 09.09.2013, 01:31 | Message # 3
World Builder
Group: Users
United States
W-w-w-welcome to the f-forum Jafergon. That-that is amazing.

But seriously, I just checked it out and it looks great and based on your 3D modeling skills, I am seriously hoping you will make ships for SE.

I play teh spase engien

JafergonDate: Monday, 09.09.2013, 02:01 | Message # 4
Observer
Spain
Quote (Disasterpiece)
W-w-w-welcome to the f-forum Jafergon. That-that is amazing.

Thanks!!
Many of the models I've used in my mod are from NASA's sources. I have modeled addons for Flight Simulator (the USS Nimitz aircraft carrier is my most popular model), Orbiter, Vehicle simulator, and soon I'd like to make some ships for SE too. After using it for over a year I'm still as amazed as the first day by what and incredible sim SE is smile

Javier

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Monday, 09.09.2013, 04:09 | Message # 5
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
Pirate
Its like moonbase alpha on steroids.

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

midtskogenDate: Monday, 09.09.2013, 07:12 | Message # 6
Star Engineer
Norway
I'll try this! The installer at least works on my computer (Linux).

But why the name? Reminds me too much about Mars One...

NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

WatsisnameDate: Monday, 09.09.2013, 07:27 | Message # 7
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
United States
Wow, Jafergon, that is extremely impressive stuff! I am definitely going to try this out as soon as I get the chance. smile

Thanks for sharing your work with us and welcome to the forum!

SalvoDate: Monday, 09.09.2013, 07:40 | Message # 8
Star Engineer
Group: Local Moderators
Italy
That is just... wow... my internet connection is very slow and I need some time to download it, but it look very promising!

The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: ASUS Radeon R9 270 RAM: 8 GBs

(still don't know why everyone is doing this...)

neutronium76Date: Monday, 09.09.2013, 10:00 | Message # 9
World Builder
Greece
WOW blink Looks very impressive!

Quote (Jafergon)
It has a some limitations, due to the Earth's nature of Vehicle simulator

May I assume that it has Earth's gravity (1g)? I say ''assume'' because I am at work right now and I will test it in the evening/night.

PC1:Core i7 970@3.34GHz, 6 cores/12 threads, 12GB DDR3 RAM@1.34GHz, 2x(SLI) GTX-580 GPUs 3GB VRAM(GDDR5)@1GHz, OS:Win7x64SP1
PC2:Core2Quad X9770@3.2GHz, 2 cores/4 threads 4GB DDR2 RAM@1GHz, GTX-285 GPU 1GB VRAM(DDR3)@1.24GHz, OS:WinVistax64SP2

SpaceEngineerDate: Monday, 09.09.2013, 12:46 | Message # 10
Author of Space Engine
Group: Administrators
Russian Federation
It required Vehicle Simulator, right?

midtskogenDate: Monday, 09.09.2013, 14:20 | Message # 11
Star Engineer
Norway
There is a free demo version of Vehicle Simulator available, but it will only work a few minutes at a time, I think.

I didn't have time to test it before I left for work this morning, but I during lunch I logged on to my home computer and tried to run it so I could check if it runs on Linux. It seemed to work ok, but running anything heavily graphical from a remote computer (routed halfway around Europe as well tough I'm only 10km away) is of course hopelessly slow. biggrin And X Window hasn't the best protocol for such either.

EDIT: It runs fine on Linux.

Martian water is a hype. :P

Attachments: 3424039.jpg(439Kb)

NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Edited by midtskogen - Monday, 09.09.2013, 17:23

JafergonDate: Monday, 09.09.2013, 17:55 | Message # 12
Observer
Spain
Yes, SpaceEngineer, it requires Vehicle simulator, but as midtskogen says, it runs on the demo as well. Since the demo is not updated to the latest version of the sim some minor features from the mod are not available.

And yes, the gravity is set to 1g, I wish I could change that.

I'm working on an Earth's Moon mod, but it is still very early to show anything.

Javier

Edited by Jafergon - Monday, 09.09.2013, 18:08

SpaceEngineerDate: Monday, 09.09.2013, 23:16 | Message # 13
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
Quote (Jafergon)
And yes, the gravity is set to 1g, I wish I could change that.

That sad. Engine limitations? IMO most exiting thing about conditions on another planet is another gravity. Almost all games about another planets ignores this (Red Faction: Guerrilla, Mass Effect, ...). This changes everything in games: behavior of vehicles, kind of walking/running, combat strategies. But they still ignored this. Maybe they didn't know about lower gravity? smile

HarbingerDawnDate: Monday, 09.09.2013, 23:56 | Message # 14
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (SpaceEngineer)
Red Faction: Guerrilla

I played it, and it certainly seemed like 0.38g to me, and I just did a quick search and there are many mentions of the low gravity in reviews for the game. Maybe you remember it differently than it was?

Quote (SpaceEngineer)
Mass Effect

Mass Effect has little use for altered gravity since there's no jumping or anything. However I have changed the gravity value in the config file before, and significant departures from 1g make the game unplayable (i.e. makes the Mako undrivable, makes characters take a long time to fall even just a few meters) smile They would have had to significantly rework and expand the game mechanics to allow for different gravities, and that would have been an unnecessarily large amount of work for that game.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

JafergonDate: Tuesday, 10.09.2013, 00:32 | Message # 15
Observer
Spain
I have tweaked the vehicle dynamics so that they behave as much as possible as in 0.38g, but I agree with you, accurate gravity It is a very important factor in any simulator. I got in touch with the creator of Vehicle Simualtor to ask him if could implement some features like adjustable gravity and atmospheric pressure. Maybe in a future version...

As a visual experience to explore the Martian geography I think it is quite realistic though smile

Olympus Mons

Eos Chasma

Forum » SpaceEngine » Off-topic Discussions » Mars Expedition1 Mod for Vehicle Simulator (A total conversion mod to explore the entire Mars)
Page 1 of 212»
Search: