Русский New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 93 of 231«129192939495230231»
Forum » SpaceEngine » Off-topic Discussions » Totally off-topic thread (Talk about anything.)
Totally off-topic thread
werdnaforeverDate: Sunday, 09.06.2013, 05:58 | Message # 1381
World Builder
Group: Users
Pirate
So, I just posted on the Russian forum using stolen top secret NSA technology (actually I used Google Translate). Perhaps now's my chance to show I'm a foreigner by asking stupid questions, like "is it cold over there?" or "Do you guys drink Kefir?"

EDIT:

What I typed into Google Translate

My first post on the russian forum, thanks to the magic of Google translate and Chrome automatic translation. If google isn't lying to me... and it better not be... then this is the equivilant of the off-topic thread. Why am I posting here? To that I say, why aren't you posting there? I'm betting this sounds weird in Russian due to the translation.

What I got back

My first post on the Russian forum, through the magic of Google Translate and Chrome automatic translation. If Google does not lie to me ... and will not be better ... it is equivilant of off-topic thread. Why I am posting here? To which I said, why do not you organize it? I bet it sounds strange in Russia in connection with the transfer.

This will all be interesting.

Edited by werdnaforever - Sunday, 09.06.2013, 06:05

HarbingerDawnDate: Sunday, 09.06.2013, 06:11 | Message # 1382
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
werdnaforever, Google is not reliable at translating into Russian, and back-translating your input to verify it doesn't work. More than likely they'll be annoyed at you.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

werdnaforeverDate: Sunday, 09.06.2013, 07:14 | Message # 1383
World Builder
Pirate
Oh.

sad

I guess one post is enough, then.

Added (09.06.2013, 10:14)
---------------------------------------------
Mathematicians have proven the existence of number heaven. There is zero doubt in their minds about this transcendental place; it is the home of a higher power on another complex plane of existence. This is the one true god of math, who is infinite... and since it's heaven there's plenty of pi.

I couldn't figure out to fit e in there. Sorry Euler.

EDIT: Also, I was only joking about the stupid questions thing

Edited by werdnaforever - Sunday, 09.06.2013, 08:26

AerospacefagDate: Sunday, 09.06.2013, 20:23 | Message # 1384
Pioneer
Russian Federation
werdnaforever, Google translate also tends to leave untranslated words that weren't written right. The weirdest part is when you're trying to translate from Chinese or Japanese, with all the tricky grammatic.

Actually, if you expect that your post will be useful for someone in the community, you'd better not to translate it, because English is quite common for Internet, so it is possible that they will figure out by themselves, using translator.

Added (09.06.2013, 23:23)
DoctorOfSpace, at first I thought it's Bruce Willis in his younger years.

Tucker goes to great length to explain that which we take for granted, that glorious global network of cooperation and exchange we call the market economy and its capacity to meet our every material need.

the products of digital capitalism are amazing, astounding, beyond belief

Yeah, we were, kinda, getting that feeling through the years after end of Cold War. These are so amazingly, astonishingly disgusting miracles, terrible beyond belief, I wouldn't hesitate to press Big Red Button in the case of WW3.

At the same time, he draws attention to way that the government is chipping away at economic opportunity and making our lives a bit more miserable every day. The answer to the problem of private miracles and public crimes is to keep the former and jettison the later - all in the service of that elusive dream of universal peace and prosperity.

Edited by Aerospacefag - Sunday, 09.06.2013, 20:28

Joey_PenguinDate: Sunday, 09.06.2013, 20:33 | Message # 1385
Pioneer
United States
http://ackuna.com/badtranslator

This is even worse.

Careful. The PLATT Collective has spurs.

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Sunday, 09.06.2013, 20:35 | Message # 1386
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
Pirate
Quote (Aerospacefag)
at first I thought it's Bruce Willis in his younger years.

Cannot be unseen

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

apenpaapDate: Sunday, 09.06.2013, 20:45 | Message # 1387
World Builder
Antarctica
Quote (werdnaforever)
What I typed into Google Translate

Quote (werdnaforever)
What I got back

If you like seeing word salads, try doing this a few times with different languages, back-and-forth translating a block of text to various languages... It deteriorates more and more until it's completely random words.

I occasionally stream at http://www.twitch.tv/magistermystax. Sometimes SE, sometimes other games.

werdnaforeverDate: Monday, 10.06.2013, 23:32 | Message # 1388
World Builder
Pirate
Quote (apenpaap)
If you like seeing word salads, try doing this a few times with different languages, back-and-forth translating a block of text to various languages... It deteriorates more and more until it's completely random words.

In other words, it's like http://translationparty.com/

Added (11.06.2013, 02:32)
iOS 7. Apple is now officially the copycat.

Yes, I know there are only so many ways you can "flatten" the design of the OS, but Apple's new OS looks... bad. It looks like a bad copy of Windows phone, and seems disorganized. Different areas of the OS look different. Sometimes there are squares, sometimes there are circles. There are these square buttons with barely any gaps in them in certain apps that look terrible.

More importantly, there's not enough contrast in many ares. Often text is too light/thin and is harder to read. They're trying to do the Modern UI, but less bold and more toned down. It actually looks worse than some of the concept designs that were floating around before it was announced. (those designs looked more like Windows Phone) Microsoft better make the most of this or I'll be very disappointed.

Edited by werdnaforever - Monday, 10.06.2013, 23:44

DisasterpieceDate: Tuesday, 11.06.2013, 01:46 | Message # 1389
World Builder
United States
I'm really not a big fan of this excessively easy to use OS trend. They get so easy to use, doing anything but surfing the web becomes and nightmare and almost always ends in you having to download 3rd party software.

I play teh spase engien

WatsisnameDate: Tuesday, 11.06.2013, 04:05 | Message # 1390
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
United States
Watch science video on youtube about Polar Mesospheric Clouds.

Get inundated with comments by weather-modification conspiracy whack-jobs.

Ell Oh Ell.

midtskogenDate: Tuesday, 11.06.2013, 06:13 | Message # 1391
Star Engineer
Norway
I just read that a poll reveals that 45% of US citizens think it's perfectly fine that the authorities spy on their internet activities and communication. 65% think it's ok if it could prevent terrorism. What? Not even in the history of totalitarian regimes there has been nothing like this level of governmental spying on the citizens, and it wouldn't surprise me if the blind public support is pretty historical as well. 1984 anyone? Wasn't this supposed to happen with communism? History is full of surprises...

NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

HarbingerDawnDate: Tuesday, 11.06.2013, 07:18 | Message # 1392
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (midtskogen)
Wasn't this supposed to happen with communism? History is full of surprises...

It happens with whoever has enough power for long enough, regardless of their broad economic philosophy. In this case, that power is the USA. You'll also find that very large percentages of the US population believe a bunch of other crazy things, like the world being less than 10000 years old and Barack Obama being the anti-Christ. These statistics are nothing new to me, but then again I live with them every day.

My SE mods and addons

DisasterpieceDate: Tuesday, 11.06.2013, 20:10 | Message # 1393
World Builder
United States
The statistics really depress me. One of my mom's patients was explaining to my mom how evolution is a lie and that (as you stated) Obama isn't American and that he is the antichrist.

I play teh spase engien

werdnaforeverDate: Tuesday, 11.06.2013, 20:19 | Message # 1394
World Builder
Pirate
Quote (midtskogen)
I just read that a poll reveals that 45% of US citizens think it's perfectly fine that the authorities spy on their internet activities and communication. 65% think it's ok if it could prevent terrorism. What? Not even in the history of totalitarian regimes there has been nothing like this level of governmental spying on the citizens, and it wouldn't surprise me if the blind public support is pretty historical as well. 1984 anyone? Wasn't this supposed to happen with communism? History is full of surprises...

Not all americans are this crazy. I certainly am not and my American comrades here would certainly say the same of themselves. I'm not at all ok with a 1984-state. Ed Snoden is a modern day American hero, and I hope he gets asylum. He should have went straight to Iceland, though.

OOPS, wrong thread sad

Edited by werdnaforever - Tuesday, 11.06.2013, 20:38

HarbingerDawnDate: Tuesday, 11.06.2013, 20:37 | Message # 1395
Cosmic Curator
United States
Why is OGL 4.0 even listed? SE only uses 3.0 features as far as I know.

My SE mods and addons

Forum » SpaceEngine » Off-topic Discussions » Totally off-topic thread (Talk about anything.)
Page 93 of 231«129192939495230231»
Search: