Русский New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 82 of 231«128081828384230231»
Forum » SpaceEngine » Off-topic Discussions » Totally off-topic thread (Talk about anything.)
Totally off-topic thread
werdnaforeverDate: Wednesday, 08.05.2013, 03:54 | Message # 1216
World Builder
Group: Users
United States
I go to a University- you guys will just have to try and guess which one; it's respectable though- and computers around the campus are varied, but usually aren't that bad- I think. I always have my own with me, so I don't really use them.

With schools, there is usually a mix in the quality of machines, and the more powerful machines are found where they are needed. That said, if your school has computers that are freezing, crashing, and taking long times to log in, that's absolutely unacceptable. Yes, an older computer can still be useful if you give it the right software and OS, and I love playing around with vintage computers as a hobby.

Computers that are older are less secure, decrease productivity, and (if in a school) are an unnecessary obstacle to the education of the students. Anyone in school- at least, if it's a high school or middle school, who is being plagued by this problem should consider talking to someone from the IT department or whatever group is managing them that they need to consider replacing ancient machines- or perhaps reinstalling software that runs better- a lightweight linux distro can bring new life to an older machine. No matter what the budget is, you shouldn't have to put up with a piece of crap. PCs have never been cheaper; the one excuse I hate is that if the requirements are only simple web browsing and document editing, then a crappy PC having with problems is okay. Wrong! Computers are supposed to make things easier, not more frustrating. If a computer fails at this then it should not be utilized by your institution.

Quote (osterizer8)
my school's computers aren't quite that bad, but they do take up to 10 minutes just to log on sometimes. My school has been getting some newer Macs in some rooms, however. They are faster, but they crash all the time, so they end up being just as frustrating to use.

If newer computers are having problems too, then those problems have to be investigated. Computers do not crash for no reason.

I'll give Apple credit for making machines that tend to be stable- at least from my experience. If you tell me how new the iMacs are it gives me a better picture in that regard. Machines, including Macs, tend to be nice and fast when they are first released. An OS or two later is when they really start to slow down.

Also, having lots of free hard drive space is important.

So, what do you guys think about the new Star Trek movie? Yes, it has cliche revenge movie written all over it, but I watched a clip, and I'm getting the impression that there's going to be some kind of cool plot twist- ST XI didn't really have that.

midtskogenDate: Wednesday, 08.05.2013, 05:31 | Message # 1217
Star Engineer
Norway
Quote (werdnaforever)
PCs have never been cheaper

I got a couple of Raspberry Pi's with HDMI out yesterday. A credit card sized board. With some extras they cost about $75 each, and in most respects they're way more powerful than the best computers I had access to ten years ago. 950 MHz CPU, 512 MB RAM, 16 GB flash, but at least they play HD content. And in responsiveness it's still much much faster than one year old Windows laptops that I occasionally use.

It can't run SE, though. smile

NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

osterizer8Date: Thursday, 09.05.2013, 01:34 | Message # 1218
Space Tourist
United States
The Macs are at least one year old, I am not sure of their exact age, though. I could ask one of my tech teachers. They use Mountain Lion or something close in age to that.

Antza2Date: Thursday, 09.05.2013, 11:00 | Message # 1219
World Builder
Group: Global Moderators
Finland

Go to antza2.deviantart.com for cool photos!

NovaSiliskoDate: Thursday, 09.05.2013, 19:18 | Message # 1220
Explorer
Group: SE team
United States
None of those really infuriate me like the image seems to be encouraging me to. I just go "heh, dumbass" and move on.

WatsisnameDate: Thursday, 09.05.2013, 23:11 | Message # 1221
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
United States
Pretty much.

I used to get involved in 'debates' with people about the age of the earth, evolution, big bang theory, star formation (which made me go really??), etc, but at some point you realize most of these people will believe what they want regardless of what evidence says, and there is nothing you can say to them that will change their mind.

There were a couple (literally I mean two) times that, despite of our totally opposing viewpoints, we were able to be respectful of one another and we both ended up learning some really cool stuff. Made the whole venture worthwhile, but those outcomes are extremely rare.

NovaSiliskoDate: Thursday, 09.05.2013, 23:18 | Message # 1222
Explorer
United States
Believers of things gonna believe. On a related note, it really bothers me when people hate ALL religion and religious people just because of the loudmouthed morons who spout stuff like in Antza's picture. The actions of the few do not represent the thoughts of the many.

DisasterpieceDate: Thursday, 09.05.2013, 23:30 | Message # 1223
World Builder
United States
What software does everyone on this site use?

I doubt this is PC, but who cares?

Attachments: 8584078.jpeg(144Kb) · 6463069.jpeg(336Kb)

I play teh spase engien

Edited by Disasterpiece - Thursday, 09.05.2013, 23:34

NovaSiliskoDate: Thursday, 09.05.2013, 23:42 | Message # 1224
Explorer
United States
French native speaking english + youtube automatic transcription = gold

Edited by NovaSilisko - Thursday, 09.05.2013, 23:43

NovaSiliskoDate: Thursday, 09.05.2013, 23:50 | Message # 1225
Explorer
United States
Hell, youtube automatic transcriptions + anything that's not extremely simple american english = gold.

Edit: Feh, I keep forgetting the auto merge doesn't work anymore.

Edited by NovaSilisko - Thursday, 09.05.2013, 23:51

werdnaforeverDate: Friday, 10.05.2013, 01:07 | Message # 1226
World Builder
United States
Quote (Disasterpiece)
What software does everyone on this site use?

...what kind of software?

I suppose you're referring to software in general. Well,

I use Google SketchUp, Creo Parametric, Foxit Reader, Paint.net, utorrent, CCleaner, Ultradefrag, Space Engine (obviously), Orbiter, ThrottleStop, VLC media player, Universal Extractor, BatteryBarPro.

I'm using libreoffice right now. I actually don't mind the ribbon interface- I actually kind of like it. It's more organized than the mess of menus in Libreoffice/openoffice/MSword2003. I think a large part of the community around libreoffice- or at least a vocal minority - absolutely hate the ribbon interface, and insist that libreoffice never have it. People like to be snobbish, and wine and complain, and say M$ even though Apple's the one making more money now. They could easily have the option to use menus and normal toolbars, the ribbon, or both, and everyone would be happy.

Edited by werdnaforever - Friday, 10.05.2013, 01:50

DisasterpieceDate: Friday, 10.05.2013, 01:40 | Message # 1227
World Builder
United States
Quote (werdnaforever)
what kind of software

I made Space Engine, Space 'Injun, like the westerns where they went out and lassoed up some "injuns".

I play teh spase engien

werdnaforeverDate: Friday, 10.05.2013, 01:51 | Message # 1228
World Builder
United States
Quote (Disasterpiece)
I made Space Engine, Space 'Injun, like the westerns where they went out and lassoed up some "injuns".

?

Edited by werdnaforever - Friday, 10.05.2013, 01:52

DisasterpieceDate: Friday, 10.05.2013, 02:08 | Message # 1229
World Builder
United States
Quote (werdnaforever)
?

Everyone on the forums uses Space Engine. In westerns they called Native Americans, Injuns. Injun sounds like engine. So Space Injun. So I used a picture of space and then a picture of a Native American.

I play teh spase engien

werdnaforeverDate: Friday, 10.05.2013, 02:11 | Message # 1230
World Builder
United States
Quote (Disasterpiece)
Everyone on the forums uses Space Engine. In westerns they called Native Americans, Injuns. Injun sounds like engine. So Space Injun. So I used a picture of space and then a picture of a Native American.

Oh, I get it now.

Forum » SpaceEngine » Off-topic Discussions » Totally off-topic thread (Talk about anything.)
Page 82 of 231«128081828384230231»
Search: