RUS New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 59 of 231«125758596061230231»
Forum » SpaceEngine » Off-topic Discussions » Totally off-topic thread (Talk about anything.)
Totally off-topic thread
HarbingerDawnDate: Sunday, 31.03.2013, 04:06 | Message # 871
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Quote (Watsisname)
but it's not like anyone's saying you have to like the show and there is no excuse for acting the way you are.

Quote (DoctorOfSpace)
Pony talk should be against the rules. Such cancer doesn't belong here.

^ Acceptable post

Quote (DoctorOfSpace)
MLP is a show for little girls, any guy who watches it should go off and get themselves clipped because they don't deserve to be called a man.

^ Not-so-acceptable post

Pretty much everyone has posted has posted stuff on this thread that ranks off-scale high on my weird-stuff-o-meter, particularly you Doc, so you don't have much ground for heavily criticizing all of this other stuff. That said, I agree with you in that I would also rather not see all of this bronyism. But people have the right to post what they want within the bounds of the forum rules, and unless you have some valid and well-reasoned criticism to respond with then you should just leave others in peace to do their thing, or respond in some way other than making personal attacks against others.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Sunday, 31.03.2013, 04:41 | Message # 872
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
Pirate
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
unless you have some valid and well-reasoned criticism to respond with then you should just leave others in peace to do their thing

The fact the show is made for no other reason than to sell horse dolls to little girls is more than enough.

Not to mention the show is just terrible

Oh and it leads to garbage like this

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

HarbingerDawnDate: Sunday, 31.03.2013, 04:47 | Message # 873
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (DoctorOfSpace)
The fact the show is made for no other reason than to sell horse dolls to little girls is more than enough.

Then express that you don't like the show, and that you don't like it for those reasons. That's not what you were doing before, you were making personal attacks against its fans.

Quote (DoctorOfSpace)

That's your opinion, and definitely does not constitute valid and well-reasoned criticism.

Quote (DoctorOfSpace)

See above.

Long story short, either respond appropriately or just ignore it all, but vitriolic or derogatory statements are not acceptable.

On a different note, Muslim fundamentalist wannabe trolls have hacked the Richard Dawkins Foundation Facebook page. Fun fun...

My SE mods and addons

Edited by HarbingerDawn - Sunday, 31.03.2013, 04:53

WatsisnameDate: Sunday, 31.03.2013, 06:11 | Message # 874
Galaxy Architect
United States
Quote (anonymousgamer)
*toddlers

Sure, toddlers probably love it. smile But the show also has richer elements that are at a level intended for an older audience.

TV Shows very often make money from merchandise directed at the target audience. In the case of MLP the target audience is little girls, because "oh look bright colors and cute ponies". Why is this a bad thing?

Thank you for your extremely well-developed critique of the show, have you considered becoming a professional reviewer?
What exactly is terrible about it? Is it the artistic style? The voice acting? The writing? Character development? Continuity? Sociological themes? Because I would argue that all of these are actually extremely good for a children's show.

Yes, there are some very strange people who seem to love the show to a point of an absurd obsession; the stereotypical 'brony'. But not everyone who enjoys the show is like that. You might as well be arguing that Christianity is terrible and justifying it by pointing at the "God hates gays" crowd.

HarbingerDawnDate: Sunday, 31.03.2013, 06:26 | Message # 875
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (Watsisname)
You might as well be arguing that Christianity is terrible and justifying it by pointing at the "God hates gays" crowd.

Actually I would argue that Christianity is terrible, though I wouldn't cite the Westboro Baptist Church as my reasoning.

My SE mods and addons

NovaSiliskoDate: Sunday, 31.03.2013, 06:34 | Message # 876
Explorer
Group: SE team
United States
Came back into this thread with the hope the anger was gone...

Everybody gets so worked up about these things! sad

Edited by NovaSilisko - Sunday, 31.03.2013, 06:37

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Sunday, 31.03.2013, 07:02 | Message # 877
Galaxy Architect
Pirate
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
On a different note, Muslim fundamentalist wannabe trolls have hacked the Richard Dawkins Foundation Facebook page. Fun fun...

You should post some screens of the best posts.

EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

HarbingerDawnDate: Sunday, 31.03.2013, 07:26 | Message # 878
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (DoctorOfSpace)
You should post some screens of the best posts.

I'm way too lazy for that, and literally everyone here can go see the page for themselves, so if you're interested just hop on over and take a look (if the admins haven't regained control and deleted everything by now).

My SE mods and addons

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Sunday, 31.03.2013, 07:50 | Message # 879
Galaxy Architect
Pirate
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
(if the admins haven't regained control and deleted everything by now).

They have
The Dawkins Foundation Facebook page is back under the control of ethical secular people. But please be vigilant. The hackers lack the ability to debate on the merits, so they unethically hijacked our page. Thank you to the spur-of-the-moment translators of Turkish helping with the page restoration, and to Facebook staff. -- Sean Faircloth, Dir. of Strategy & Policy

I am sure a bunch of images will pop up around the net.

EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

midtskogenDate: Sunday, 31.03.2013, 08:03 | Message # 880
Star Engineer
Group: Users
Norway
Daylight saving has begun in Europe. Why can't those who want to get up one hour earlier for half of the year just do that and not trouble the rest of us? Now I have to get up 5am every day until October.

NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

HarbingerDawnDate: Sunday, 31.03.2013, 08:07 | Message # 881
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (midtskogen)
Why can't those who want to get up one hour earlier for half of the year just do that and not trouble the rest of us?

I agree, it's a system that should be done away with. Having it 8+ months out of the year as we do in the USA is absurd; why not just have it year round and move one time zone to the east? Changing clocks back and forth is just a silly thing to do.

My SE mods and addons

neutronium76Date: Sunday, 31.03.2013, 08:40 | Message # 882
World Builder
Greece
Quote (midtskogen)
Daylight saving has begun in Europe. Why can't those who want to get up one hour earlier for half of the year just do that and not trouble the rest of us? Now I have to get up 5am every day until October.

Quote (HarbingerDawn)
I agree, it's a system that should be done away with. Having it 8+ months out of the year as we do in the USA is absurd; why not just have it year round and move one time zone to the east? Changing clocks back and forth is just a silly thing to do.

I agree. I wonder if there is any internet movement i.e. collecting signatures, polls and the like to change this unsure ..

PC1:Core i7 970@3.34GHz, 6 cores/12 threads, 12GB DDR3 RAM@1.34GHz, 2x(SLI) GTX-580 GPUs 3GB VRAM(GDDR5)@1GHz, OS:Win7x64SP1
PC2:Core2Quad X9770@3.2GHz, 2 cores/4 threads 4GB DDR2 RAM@1GHz, GTX-285 GPU 1GB VRAM(DDR3)@1.24GHz, OS:WinVistax64SP2

WatsisnameDate: Sunday, 31.03.2013, 08:48 | Message # 883
Galaxy Architect
United States
Quote (HarbingerDawn)

Actually I would argue that Christianity is terrible, though I wouldn't cite the Westboro Baptist Church as my reasoning.

I don't like Christianity either! tongue But you understood the point of the example. smile

Quote (neutronium76)
I agree. I wonder if there is any internet movement i.e. collecting signatures, polls and the like to change this unsure ..

I think there are, at least in the US, but they never seem to get enough support. sad

HarbingerDawnDate: Sunday, 31.03.2013, 08:53 | Message # 884
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (Watsisname)
I don't like Christianity either! But you understood the point of the example.

Yes I did smile

Quote (Watsisname)
I think there are, at least in the US, but they never seem to get enough support.

Thanks to lobbyists and olde timers I suspect.

My SE mods and addons

midtskogenDate: Sunday, 31.03.2013, 09:46 | Message # 885
Star Engineer
Norway
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
Having it 8+ months out of the year as we do in the USA is absurd;

It's last Sunday in March and October here, which is especially absurd in Norway. For some people the polar night has already started and they're still having "summer time".

NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Forum » SpaceEngine » Off-topic Discussions » Totally off-topic thread (Talk about anything.)
Page 59 of 231«125758596061230231»
Search: