Русский New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 54 of 231«125253545556230231»
Forum » SpaceEngine » Off-topic Discussions » Totally off-topic thread (Talk about anything.)
Totally off-topic thread
HarbingerDawnDate: Friday, 22.03.2013, 18:29 | Message # 796
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Quote (werdnaforever)
did you use a custom bios of some kind, or did the motherboard have that sort of thing when you bought it?

My motherboard came with software to change the splash screen.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

SalvoDate: Friday, 22.03.2013, 19:52 | Message # 797
Star Engineer
Group: Local Moderators
Italy

The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: ASUS Radeon R9 270 RAM: 8 GBs

(still don't know why everyone is doing this...)

neutronium76Date: Friday, 22.03.2013, 21:16 | Message # 798
World Builder
Group: Users
Greece
Quote (werdnaforever)
also

EDIT: There's got to be a really, really decent recording of this somewhere, right?
...and yes, I love this anthem, the US anthem is lacking in substance, musically and lyrically. this is full of instruments, ambiance, and beauty. I look at an anthem for it's musical value only. I hate nationalism.

I found this in case anyone is intrested in the translation of the lyrics (for information purposes):

melodically/musically it is one of the best national anthems and my favourite no doubt happy

PC1:Core i7 970@3.34GHz, 6 cores/12 threads, 12GB DDR3 RAM@1.34GHz, 2x(SLI) GTX-580 GPUs 3GB VRAM(GDDR5)@1GHz, OS:Win7x64SP1
PC2:Core2Quad X9770@3.2GHz, 2 cores/4 threads 4GB DDR2 RAM@1GHz, GTX-285 GPU 1GB VRAM(DDR3)@1.24GHz, OS:WinVistax64SP2

Edited by neutronium76 - Friday, 22.03.2013, 21:23

HarbingerDawnDate: Friday, 22.03.2013, 21:47 | Message # 799
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (neutronium76)
melodically/musically it is one of the best national anthems and my favourite no doubt

I think this too, I've always loved it smile It's what a national anthem should sound like.

My SE mods and addons

VoekoevakaDate: Friday, 22.03.2013, 22:22 | Message # 800
World Builder
Group: SE team
France
In France, the lyrics of the national anthem are :

Aux armes, citoyens,
Formez vos bataillons,
Marchons, marchons !
Qu'un sang impur
Abreuve nos sillons !

Translation :

To arms citizens
Form your battalions
March, march
Let impure blood
Water our furrows

...And also, happy birthday Antza2 !

Want some music of mine ? Please go here !

HarbingerDawnDate: Friday, 22.03.2013, 22:27 | Message # 801
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (Voekoevaka)
Translation

surprised

Also, soooooo many French military jokes that I want to make right now...

My SE mods and addons

werdnaforeverDate: Friday, 22.03.2013, 23:13 | Message # 802
World Builder
Pirate
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
Also, soooooo many French military jokes that I want to make right now...

To me, such jokes are insulting.

The french helped us out bigtime during the revolutionary war, and have always been allies of us Americans.

Also, there's Napoleon, and the Napoleonic wars- so Judging the french because of what happened to them in WW2 is plain stupid.

(I think I remember reading somewhere that the Nazis killed employees at certain french art museums who refused to tell them where most of the paintings were (they were sent out into the country, to ordinary people, in secret), which is an extraordinary act of self sacrifice to protect human culture. This has nothing to do with the French military, but it kind of seemed relevant)

Honestly, I don't get jokes about the french military and never will.

EDIT: Philadelphia was modeled after Paris, the US founding fathers were very knowledgeable on french philosophy, among other things, and many larger english words are derived from French.

EDIT 2: Anyone remember that xkcd comic that was different depending on your browser or os? Did anyone ever end up creating a folder full of every variation on the comic? Also, didn't mean to sound angry at the idea of french military jokes; I just think they are in bad taste.
smile
Had my first surgery ever, 4 impacted wisdom teeth removed. I was lying in the chair, and they were putting anesthesia drugs into me (of course there was also laughing gas) and the next thing I know I'm in the other room in the drs office. I literally had no sense of time. Because I'm holding an ice pack up to my cheeks most of the time I'm often typing with one hand, hence my semi-laziness with capitalization.
Just kidding I was awake the entire time and it was the most horrible experience of my life! okay, not really

Edited by werdnaforever - Friday, 22.03.2013, 23:58

Antza2Date: Friday, 22.03.2013, 23:41 | Message # 803
World Builder
Group: Global Moderators
Finland

Go to antza2.deviantart.com for cool photos!

werdnaforeverDate: Saturday, 23.03.2013, 00:00 | Message # 804
World Builder
Pirate
Once I was traveling to Europe. I was Hungary, but because I was Russian I couldn't Finnish.

HarbingerDawnDate: Saturday, 23.03.2013, 00:29 | Message # 805
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (werdnaforever)
To me, such jokes are insulting.

They can be. Honestly it's a matter of perspective and attitude. You can choose to take things seriously or in good humor. If you've ever played Mass Effect 3, and you remember that moment in the cockpit with Joker and Garrus then you'll know what I mean about how insults can be taken as jokes if you have the right attitude about it and the joker has the right intent.

Judging by your rant, you seem to be looking at all of this a bit too seriously... and I certainly don't have anything against the French if that's what you think. Everybody I met there seemed pretty cool (except for this one ticket clerk in Paris, but he had a lousy job so I can understand his frustration).

My SE mods and addons

werdnaforeverDate: Saturday, 23.03.2013, 01:33 | Message # 806
World Builder
Pirate
Quote (HarbingerDawn)

They can be. Honestly it's a matter of perspective and attitude. You can choose to take things seriously or in good humor. If you've ever played Mass Effect 3, and you remember that moment in the cockpit with Joker and Garrus then you'll know what I mean about how insults can be taken as jokes if you have the right attitude about it and the joker has the right intent.

Judging by your rant, you seem to be looking at all of this a bit too seriously... and I certainly don't have anything against the French if that's what you think. Everybody I met there seemed pretty cool (except for this one ticket clerk in Paris, but he had a lousy job so I can understand his frustration).

Usually, 99% of the time, I take things in great humor (surely, I've proved this in plenty of posts). I don't think you have anything against the French, I wouldn't presume so just from one single post.

The Nazi occupation of France appears to be the main reason people- at least in the US- make French military jokes. Plenty of other countries were conquered by Germany during WW2, and many suffered brutally. This all just strikes me as immature- It's like pointing at someone and saying "look at them! They're cowards! and that's the joke. It's just plain mean. For me, the weird thing is that I've enjoyed jokes exponentially more vulgar and distasteful than this (much of it "shock humor")- but I suppose how funny one finds a joke is based on more than just how vulgar it is. Oh, I don't know. I mean, Monty Python did that Spanish Inquisition skit but it really had nothing to do with the actual inquisition. [/my occupation on the subject]

Antza2Date: Saturday, 23.03.2013, 01:40 | Message # 807
World Builder
Group: Global Moderators
Finland
You know that your birthday party is going well when your friend starts firing illegal fireworks at the town square at 2:00 am.

Go to antza2.deviantart.com for cool photos!

HarbingerDawnDate: Saturday, 23.03.2013, 01:49 | Message # 808
Cosmic Curator
United States
Even had WWII not happened there would still be French jokes, and jokes about every other nation. It's a consequence of having nations. I'm sure there are soldiers sitting in a French barracks right now making insulting jokes about the American military. Personally I know some jokes about other nations' militaries that have nothing to do any of their wartime experiences. These things exist because there are environments which spawn such things. Making a jocular "insult" about the gearing system in French tanks is not equivalent - at least in my eyes - to making actual insults about the French people or their history. And if anyone on the forum happens to have any local insult-jokes about Americans I'd love to hear them cool

My SE mods and addons

werdnaforeverDate: Saturday, 23.03.2013, 02:04 | Message # 809
World Builder
Pirate
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
local insult-jokes about Americans

Americans are so humorless they can't make good jokes referencing their own sense of humor.

Wait- wait a second- if what I said is true (at least to me), does that mean the joke is funny? Oh my gSTOP Error 0x000000EA

HarbingerDawnDate: Saturday, 23.03.2013, 09:21 | Message # 810
Cosmic Curator
United States
Amazing photos by Russian photographer Alexey Trofimov. Our planet is so awesome.

My SE mods and addons

Forum » SpaceEngine » Off-topic Discussions » Totally off-topic thread (Talk about anything.)
Page 54 of 231«125253545556230231»
Search: