Русский New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 50 of 231«124849505152230231»
Forum » SpaceEngine » Off-topic Discussions » Totally off-topic thread (Talk about anything.)
Totally off-topic thread
midtskogenDate: Saturday, 16.03.2013, 09:52 | Message # 736
Star Engineer
Group: Users
Norway

:P

NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

TimDate: Saturday, 16.03.2013, 10:59 | Message # 737
Explorer
Belgium
This isn't serious is it?

midtskogenDate: Saturday, 16.03.2013, 11:30 | Message # 738
Star Engineer
Norway
Quote (Tim)
This isn't serious is it?

The video might be something aired in NK, but the comments are of course satire.

NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

HarbingerDawnDate: Saturday, 16.03.2013, 15:56 | Message # 739
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Quote (midtskogen)
:P

"In other parts of America, often disguised as countries in Europe..."

ahahahaha biggrin

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

SalvoDate: Saturday, 16.03.2013, 16:05 | Message # 740
Star Engineer
Group: Local Moderators
Italy

The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: ASUS Radeon R9 270 RAM: 8 GBs

(still don't know why everyone is doing this...)

HarbingerDawnDate: Saturday, 16.03.2013, 16:28 | Message # 741
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
I don't know what's going on, but none of these Youtube videos are displaying for me sad No matter the URL used or how many times I refresh my page. If I wasn't a moderator I wouldn't be able to see them at all wacko

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

TimDate: Saturday, 16.03.2013, 16:55 | Message # 742
Explorer
Belgium
I had the same thing for a while and then it fixed itself.
I was able to see the interface though, which allowed me to see the video on Youtube, luckily.
Perhaps try another browser?

Edited by Tim - Saturday, 16.03.2013, 16:56

werdnaforeverDate: Saturday, 16.03.2013, 18:06 | Message # 743
World Builder
United States
That documentary isn't funny. You guys in Belgium, Norway, and Italy don't face the kinds of harsh poverty we have to deal with all across America. Once I had to go a week without snow and birds, and it was one of the most horrifying experiences of my life.
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
"In other parts of America, often disguised as countries in Europe..."

ahahahaha

cry This happened to my hometown once. It saddens me to see that even my fellow countrymen don't even care how low their living standards are compared to the glorious nation of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea. Those lucky people live in extreme luxury due to the generous, hard work of their supreme leaders.

Okay, seriously though, it's funny how these are more like the conditions the poor NKs are living in. However, I'd expect DPRK's portrayal of Americans to be loyal, nationalist imperialists who don't realize or care about their or their nation's greedy tactics and are suffering for it, or something like that. In fact, it would be more accurate. ...at least we aren't starving.

I feel bad about the kind of cultural shock average NK citizens will receive when this modern-day fascist personality-cult regime ends up failing, and they realize how much better off the South Koreans are, let alone us westerners. It can't be as bad as those escapees from north korean concentration camps who were born into them and can't even believe the way they are being treated in South Korea, but they will be pretty upset they've been starving and lied to.

Of course, I'm more concerned about the billions of people starving around the world in poorer places like Africa. sad All this thinking about depraved people makes me feel sad.

TimDate: Saturday, 16.03.2013, 18:42 | Message # 744
Explorer
Belgium
Well I'm waiting for the next big conflict to start somewhere in the following decennia.
Either something to do with Israel or with NK.
Either one of those nations can't exist for much longer.

midtskogenDate: Saturday, 16.03.2013, 18:54 | Message # 745
Star Engineer
Norway
Quote (werdnaforever)
I feel bad about the kind of cultural shock average NK citizens will receive when this modern-day fascist personality-cult regime ends up failing, and they realize how much better off the South Koreans are, let alone us westerners.

I don't know the north Koreans, but if you've grown up with communism, the equality thinking will probably be deeply rooted in you. You're not supposed to be better off than others [unless you have the right connections to someone in the party]. You would want the higher quality of living, but expect the government to fix it for you. You would easily scoff at those better off.

NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

werdnaforeverDate: Saturday, 16.03.2013, 23:35 | Message # 746
World Builder
United States
Quote (midtskogen)
I don't know the north Koreans, but if you've grown up with communism, the equality thinking will probably be deeply rooted in you. You're not supposed to be better off than others [unless you have the right connections to someone in the party]. You would want the higher quality of living, but expect the government to fix it for you. You would easily scoff at those better off.

North Koreans are starving, and their government, including their dictators which they think (as they were taught to) are so brilliant, is keeping them isolated from the rest of the world.

Think of the kinds of things you do or like. Then think about whether that same thing would be available to you as a north korean. Like a certain movie? Do you like to travel? Interesting foods? These people don't have the kind of access to the options that we have.
How many North Koreans know about Space Engine? Average North Koreans don't have real internet access, so they can't even get to this website. It's an example that I'm sure each of us can relate to...

EDIT: My point is that there's so much they're missing out on because they are so isolated- I can't possibly name everything; I'm just giving examples off the top of my head.

Added (17.03.2013, 02:35)
---------------------------------------------

Quote (Tim)
Well I'm waiting for the next big conflict to start somewhere in the following decennia. Either something to do with Israel or with NK. Either one of those nations can't exist for much longer.

I'm sort of waiting for the collapse of capitalism, which is bound to occur sooner or later. Our economy is beyond true repair, only temporary improvements are possible, and people will eventually realize that they are being (I can't use the kind of language I want to describe this with in this forum) by the wealthy. They will retaliate, believe me. Western civilization cannot stay the way it is for much longer.
The real concern is what will replace it.

NK is just bluffing with empty words and actions. As for Israel, well, I'm an agnostic athiest, but am from two Jewish families, so there's certainly that part of me that wishes Israel the best of luck, but whether they are around for much longer depends entirely on them. The US isn't going to get into another war at this point or any time in the foreseeable future, and no politician will be able to create the impossible mental gymnastics to convince people otherwise after over a decade of controversial warfare. I think its in their best interest to avoid military conflict, but what will actually happen is something I don't think anyone can predict.

Edited by werdnaforever - Saturday, 16.03.2013, 23:13

midtskogenDate: Sunday, 17.03.2013, 08:08 | Message # 747
Star Engineer
Norway
Quote (werdnaforever)
I'm sort of waiting for the collapse of capitalism

Don't hold your breath.

NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Sunday, 17.03.2013, 08:16 | Message # 748
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
Pirate
Quote (werdnaforever)

I'm sort of waiting for the collapse of capitalism,

Quote (midtskogen)
Don't hold your breath.

Technological growth will inevitably change the economy.

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

Edited by DoctorOfSpace - Sunday, 17.03.2013, 08:20

TimDate: Sunday, 17.03.2013, 10:30 | Message # 749
Explorer
Belgium
Quote (werdnaforever)
agnostic athiest

Huh?
Quote (Wikipedia)
Agnosticism is the view that the existence or non-existence of any deity is unknown and possibly unknowable.

Quote (Wikipedia)
Atheism is, in a broad sense, the rejection of belief in the existence of deities.

I'm not sure how those can go together :P

Quote (DoctorOfSpace)
Technological growth will inevitably change the economy.

I am optimistic about that too. Science and technology will bring an answer to many problems in the future. Reproducing of meat, so we won't have to butcher much more animals, genetical manipulation of crops, so they would be stronger.

However, these are difficult tasks as we need change now and the technology isn't quite ready. Also, many people still have ethical problems with all that. Some of them I can even understand.

Edited by Tim - Sunday, 17.03.2013, 10:30

WatsisnameDate: Sunday, 17.03.2013, 11:38 | Message # 750
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
United States
People have used the word 'atheism' in so many different ways that linking to one definition and acting like everyone else follows precisely the same one is an invitation to madness. I gave up on trying to use a universal, self-consistent nomenclature for spiritual/theological belief systems ages ago.

One may hold the view that the existence of such entities can't be known by empirical evidence, and simultaneously hold the view that their existence is implausible, therefore not worthy of his or her belief (i.e. not partaking in any religious doctrine). That's more or less my position, and (I'm guessing) it is also more or less what Tim werdnaforever means by 'agnostic atheist' as well.

edit: Named the wrong person.

Edited by Watsisname - Sunday, 17.03.2013, 11:41

Forum » SpaceEngine » Off-topic Discussions » Totally off-topic thread (Talk about anything.)
Page 50 of 231«124849505152230231»
Search: