Русский New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 49 of 231«124748495051230231»
Forum » SpaceEngine » Off-topic Discussions » Totally off-topic thread (Talk about anything.)
Totally off-topic thread
DisasterpieceDate: Thursday, 14.03.2013, 02:55 | Message # 721
World Builder
Group: Users
United States
Can anyone recommend a book or website (any source for that matter) that I could use to learn orbital mechanics? I am willing to learn all the math.

I play teh spase engien

HarbingerDawnDate: Thursday, 14.03.2013, 03:17 | Message # 722
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Quote (Disasterpiece)
Can anyone recommend a book or website (any source for that matter) that I could use to learn orbital mechanics? I am willing to learn all the math.

Best way to learn is through hands-on experience. Play Orbiter smile It will force you to understand all of that stuff. KSP is good too, though you should use Mechjeb so you can see your orbital elements, that helps with learning what everything means. Supplement those with Wikipedia and you'll have learned pretty much all the basics.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

DisasterpieceDate: Thursday, 14.03.2013, 03:31 | Message # 723
World Builder
United States
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
Orbiter

Speaking of orbiter, chech out the spaceway project. The experimental is very unstable, but the current build is great (it is procedural and the scale is comparable to that of SE's). It has a similar interface to orbiter but no tutorials, you just pray you don't screw up.
Thanks for the tip, though.

I play teh spase engien

Edited by Disasterpiece - Thursday, 14.03.2013, 03:31

WatsisnameDate: Thursday, 14.03.2013, 04:50 | Message # 724
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
United States
Quote (Disasterpiece)

Hmm, I think this depends on how deeply you'd like to go into it, and how comfortable with math you are.

A thorough and quantitative treatment may be found from a textbook using vector calculus, such as An Introduction to Celestial Mechanics by Moulton, but this might be way too advanced for what you need. Another option if you prefer freely-available online material are these course notes.

For a non-mathy introduction you could try these pages provided by JPL, or to learn basic principles in a novel setting you may try playing around in Orbiter or Kerbal Space Program.

If you run into difficulties or have specific questions you are more than welcome to PM me; I may be able to help. smile

DisasterpieceDate: Friday, 15.03.2013, 01:42 | Message # 725
World Builder
United States
Happy Pi Day.

We went Pi day caroling in math today.

I play teh spase engien

Edited by Disasterpiece - Friday, 15.03.2013, 01:42

anonymousgamerDate: Friday, 15.03.2013, 02:25 | Message # 726
World Builder
United States
Flying over Landon at about 5000ft, this is what my camera takes:

How 'bout that Photoshop?

Attachments: 0822677.jpg(384Kb) · 1718322.jpg(520Kb)

Desktop: FX-8350 4.0 GHz, 8 GB DDR3 RAM, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW 8 GB, 2 TB HDD, 24 inch 1920x1080 screen
Laptop: Core i5 480M 2.66 GHz (turbo 2.93), 8 GB DDR3 RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6550m 1 GB, 640 GB HDD, 17.3 inch 1600x900 screen

Edited by anonymousgamer - Friday, 15.03.2013, 02:25

werdnaforeverDate: Saturday, 16.03.2013, 00:24 | Message # 727
World Builder
United States
So I have this "3TB" drive (more like 2.7something, and why I want the marketing people at HDD companies to take a good look at themselves in the mirror and ask themselves, "is it really worth it at this point? Everyone knows the drives aren't as big as we say, so why be deceptive about it? What am I doing with my life?), and Windows Backup won't create system images on it because of the 4k sectors or something- the point is I'm looking for a new solution. I really don't need something complicated- just something with similar features, but freeware and not bloated.

UltraDefrag is a good example of the sort of thing I'm talking about- I use this to defragment my hard disks and it's never failed me- I highly recommend it. There's got to be some kind of crazy-good open-source simple-easy-backup program, right? It's important to be prepared with backups in today's .97less world.

Made up quotes that are just puns based on classic sci-fi movies- issue 1:
"So Mr. Bowman, HAL did you turn off that computer?"
Also, I saw the original Solaris recently. I really liked it. Lots of people compare it to 2001, but it's a different kind of film- more focused and quieter. I still like 2001 better- the production values were amazing. Solaris had some really interesting sets too, like Kelvin's bedroom- it was this really cool early 70's modern design- I want my bedroom to look like that! Also, the scene with the car driving on the highway was actually really cool, and the way the contrast increased inside the tunnels.

EDIT:
Quote (anonymousgamer)
How 'bout that Photoshop?

That's amazing.
EDIT2:

Leaked screenshot from Avatar 2.

Attachments: 6212489.jpg(237Kb)

Edited by werdnaforever - Saturday, 16.03.2013, 02:21

HarbingerDawnDate: Saturday, 16.03.2013, 01:53 | Message # 728
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (werdnaforever)
So I have this "3TB" drive (more like 2.7something, and why I want the marketing people at HDD companies to take a good look at themselves in the mirror and ask themselves, "is it really worth it at this point? Everyone knows the drives aren't as big as we say, so why be deceptive about it?

They're not being deceptive. They're using the increasingly common decimal definition of terabyte, while Windows uses the original binary definition (also called a tebibyte [TiB]). It says right on the packaging what definition they're using. Before accusing the manufacturers of being greedy corporate pigs, educate thyself.

Quote (werdnaforever)
Windows Backup won't create system images on it because of the 4k sectors or something

Is there any reason why you couldn't just reformat it with different sector sizes?

My SE mods and addons

werdnaforeverDate: Saturday, 16.03.2013, 02:18 | Message # 729
World Builder
United States
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
They're not being deceptive. They're using the increasingly common decimal definition of terabyte, while Windows uses the original binary definition (also called a tebibyte [TiB]). It says right on the packaging what definition they're using. Before accusing the manufacturers of being greedy corporate pigs, educate thyself.

I know all that. I was being a bit silly.
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
Is there any reason why you couldn't just reformat it with different sector sizes?

I've tried it to no avail. From what I understand it's because of the hardware- not the OS. Windows Backup won't play nice with it.
EDIT: NTFS supports a minimum size of 4k sectors. So, I tried making two exFAT partitions, one 2TB one for my large PC and one 768GB one for my small laptop, with 512 byte sector sizes. Unfortunately, it won't write system images to exFAT volumes.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2510009 This says something about it. The update it mentions is already installed on my PC. I ran the command it mentioned, and it says that there are 4096 bytes per sector, but for bytes for phyiscal sector it says <Not Supported>, but from the knowledge I've gathered 2.2+TB Drives are generally "4k native", and Windows backup won't write system images to these drives unless they support 512 byte sector emulation. I don't think mine does. I don't get what the big deal is why windows backup can't write system images to 4k native drives, but it seems MS would rather have me update to Windows 8 than release a Windows 7 update to fix this. I understand their motivations, but still... sad

Edited by werdnaforever - Saturday, 16.03.2013, 02:26

HarbingerDawnDate: Saturday, 16.03.2013, 05:33 | Message # 730
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (werdnaforever)
Leaked screenshot from Avatar 2

You... you aren't using the updated cloud shaders? cry AND it's not LOD 2? *AND* you're not using FXAA? I don't even...

My SE mods and addons

werdnaforeverDate: Saturday, 16.03.2013, 05:57 | Message # 731
World Builder
United States
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
You... you aren't using the updated cloud shaders? AND it's not LOD 2? *AND* you're not using FXAA? I don't even...

I usually use LOD 2, and I was using FXAA, although I heard it doesn't work without lightbloom turned on (bug) and I forgot to turn that on and LOD 2;. I'm on my new 11 inch netbook, and have been pretty busy with other things so haven't done much with SE on it other than copy a fresh installation.

Also, I never really used the updated cloud shaders since I didn't even know about them. And I haven't been doing as much in SE lately since I'm really sort of waiting for v****** 0.**. I suppose I should try them out...

If it really bugs you, then here:

EDIT: Which exact shaders should I download?

Attachments: 2851153.jpg(294Kb)

Edited by werdnaforever - Saturday, 16.03.2013, 06:00

HarbingerDawnDate: Saturday, 16.03.2013, 06:29 | Message # 732
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (werdnaforever)
I forgot to turn that on

Why ever turn it off? If you don't like bloom then just set the value to 0, that way FXAA can still work.

Quote (werdnaforever)
If it really bugs you, then here

It was the clouds that bugged me most. The default clouds for 0.95/0.96 weren't very good looking, especially on gas giants.

This is a bit better:

And with procedurally generated surface/clouds script for Polyphemus:

Quote (werdnaforever)
Which exact shaders should I download?

Just look in the Mods and Addons section, find the two threads about cloud shaders, and get the versions that SpaceEngineer posted (or you can try Doc's versions, whatever you prefer).

My SE mods and addons

Edited by HarbingerDawn - Saturday, 16.03.2013, 06:31

werdnaforeverDate: Saturday, 16.03.2013, 07:09 | Message # 733
World Builder
United States
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
Why ever turn it off? If you don't like bloom then just set the value to 0, that way FXAA can still work.

I've barely got to use SE on my new lappy- I preemptively put it in my sig 'cause I was excited 'bout it coming, and it finally got here a couple weeks ago, and I haven't had time to use SE on it, since most of the time i've spent on it was for installing programs and etc. I've only used SE a couple different times on it. Of course, I do set the value to zero.

Someday, we may have clouds like this in SE:

HarbingerDawnDate: Saturday, 16.03.2013, 07:18 | Message # 734
Cosmic Curator
United States
Pretty much accurate

My SE mods and addons

WatsisnameDate: Saturday, 16.03.2013, 09:37 | Message # 735
Galaxy Architect
United States
That's adorable. :P

I feel so bad for NK's citizens though.

Forum » SpaceEngine » Off-topic Discussions » Totally off-topic thread (Talk about anything.)
Page 49 of 231«124748495051230231»
Search: