RUS New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 42 of 231«124041424344230231»
Forum » SpaceEngine » Off-topic Discussions » Totally off-topic thread (Talk about anything.)
Totally off-topic thread
midtskogenDate: Friday, 22.02.2013, 18:40 | Message # 616
Star Engineer
Group: Users
Norway
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
But your point about rebooting is still valid since some Win machines can start having weird problems when they've had too much uptime.

There's another rot problem in Windows. In my experience, though limited, Windows slows down a lot after 1-2 years, sometimes to the point that it's almost unbearable. It seems like you're meant to do a clean reinstall after a while.

I'm not saying that Linux doesn't have aging problems. But instead of slowing down, Linux begins to get hard to maintain after 4-5 years because some libraries will get outdated and it will get hard to install new things. So I usually do a clean install after 4-5 years.

NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

HarbingerDawnDate: Friday, 22.02.2013, 22:43 | Message # 617
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Quote (midtskogen)
In my experience, though limited, Windows slows down a lot after 1-2 years, sometimes to the point that it's almost unbearable. It seems like you're meant to do a clean reinstall after a while.

Yeah, it does do this, at least on some machines (mine included). I'm going to have to take like 4 weeks to fix that and reinstall Windows and get everything set up again, but I was waiting until after 0.97 release to do it for various reasons.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

werdnaforeverDate: Saturday, 23.02.2013, 07:28 | Message # 618
World Builder
Pirate
Quote (midtskogen)
There's another rot problem in Windows. In my experience, though limited, Windows slows down a lot after 1-2 years, sometimes to the point that it's almost unbearable. It seems like you're meant to do a clean reinstall after a while.

I'm not saying that Linux doesn't have aging problems. But instead of slowing down, Linux begins to get hard to maintain after 4-5 years because some libraries will get outdated and it will get hard to install new things. So I usually do a clean install after 4-5 years.

Quote (HarbingerDawn)
Yeah, it does do this, at least on some machines (mine included). I'm going to have to take like 4 weeks to fix that and reinstall Windows and get everything set up again, but I was waiting until after 0.97 release to do it for various reasons.

I know what you guys mean. I re-installed Windows 7 last summer, after having used it on my machine for a year and a half. Now, the reasons I reinstalled it weren't really due to slowness, but to bloatedness; I had way too much stuff installed, much of which I didn't use. Still, my advice to any user would be to be conservative when installing software. EDIT: Not just programs, but modifications to the OS- like trying to get rid of the libraries feature and ultimately screwing things up, and stuff like that- just ignore the libraries if you hate them since you just organize everything yourselves. Really, they aren't that bad.

Do any Windows users use MS security essentials? I use it, and it works great for me and barely uses any system resources; there was that whole thing with it not passing some AV-test or something. Should I even be concerned in the slightest?

What virus protection software do you guys use? (If you don't use windows, no bragging about the lack of viruses; your platform isn't targeted since it's only taking up a fraction of the market) Honestly, viruses aren't really a problem to be worried about if you're a smart computer user.

Edited by werdnaforever - Saturday, 23.02.2013, 07:34

HarbingerDawnDate: Saturday, 23.02.2013, 07:59 | Message # 619
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (werdnaforever)
What virus protection software do you guys use?

Avast! Started using it in 2008 and have never had a malware-related problem on any computer since (and given my experiences with computers prior to that that's a huge victory).

My SE mods and addons

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Saturday, 23.02.2013, 08:05 | Message # 620
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
Pirate
Avast master race.

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

WatsisnameDate: Saturday, 23.02.2013, 10:28 | Message # 621
Galaxy Architect
United States
Avast here, as well. =]

Antza2Date: Saturday, 23.02.2013, 15:31 | Message # 622
World Builder
Finland
Quote (DoctorOfSpace)
Avast master race.

Indeed

Go to antza2.deviantart.com for cool photos!

werdnaforeverDate: Saturday, 23.02.2013, 18:35 | Message # 623
World Builder
Pirate
Quote (lotsofpeoplewhouseAvast)
I use Avast and really love it etc

What would be my incentive to switch to Avast? What makes it so great?
EDIT: Also, updating the virus definitions (EDIT2: In MS SE, I mean) is really, really easy. The whole program is pretty simple. Also, there's no way I'm "registering" for anything. I guess I'm sticking with MS SE!

Edited by werdnaforever - Saturday, 23.02.2013, 18:42

HarbingerDawnDate: Saturday, 23.02.2013, 19:43 | Message # 624
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (werdnaforever)
What would be my incentive to switch to Avast? What makes it so great?

Because it works wonderfully and provides excellent malware protection, is customizable, etc. I won't give you a feature list because I simply don't care to, if you want that then go to their website or read a review or something. Ultimately I don't care whether you use it or not, so I'm not going to try to convince you to do so.

Quote (werdnaforever)
Also, there's no way I'm "registering" for anything.

Why is registering in quote marks?

Quote (werdnaforever)
Also, updating the virus definitions (EDIT2: In MS SE, I mean) is really, really easy.

Updating the virus definitions in Avast is even easier: it requires zero effort whatsoever. It's all fully automated. It just tells you when it's updated (or doesn't tell you, if you don't want it to).

My SE mods and addons

werdnaforeverDate: Saturday, 23.02.2013, 20:38 | Message # 625
World Builder
Pirate
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
Why is registering in quote marks?

You have to sign up to their forums. Sign up, register- you're creating an account somewhere to use something. Now that I think about it, I'm not even sure why I used quotes.
EDIT: I don't want to create an account just for virus protection... these days, there are so many different services that require some kind of account.

Our own setups each work for us, of course. smile

Edited by werdnaforever - Saturday, 23.02.2013, 20:42

WatsisnameDate: Saturday, 23.02.2013, 22:29 | Message # 626
Galaxy Architect
United States
Quote (werdnaforever)
You have to sign up to their forums.

No you don't...

HarbingerDawnDate: Saturday, 23.02.2013, 23:43 | Message # 627
Cosmic Curator
United States
Watsisname is right, you don't have to create an account. All you do is give them an email address, paste the code they send you into Avast, then repeat every 365 days.

My SE mods and addons

werdnaforeverDate: Sunday, 24.02.2013, 04:35 | Message # 628
World Builder
Pirate
Finally.
A few years ago, I never thought I'd see the day, but know I know it was going to happen, sooner or later. Good job, Samsung!

I'm curious to see how Apple- or more precisely, their die-hard fans- react to this as the gap grows larger. They were #1 for so long, and now they are #2, they're also just followers (rather than innovators), and they're starting to loose that "cool" factor. When you're on top for so long, and you brag about it with such hubris, and then you're finally knocked off the podium- well, it's not a great feeling.

After I switched back to the PC, Apple was still doing really well, and the iPads sold like crazy, and I thought to myself "they can't possibly keep it up forever", and I was right. That's not to say they couldn't bounce back on top with another hit product, but think of this as the end of 300, where

I'm overreacting to this bit of news... or am I? (yes)

SalvoDate: Sunday, 24.02.2013, 13:19 | Message # 629
Star Engineer
Group: Local Moderators
Italy
Quote (werdnaforever)

Maybe biggrin
Anyway I think that Samsung smarphones are a bit worse than Apple devices, but the price is 1000 times more reasonable dry

Then the OS (Android) is better if you want to use your smartphone to do something more (like programming or anything else)...

The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: ASUS Radeon R9 270 RAM: 8 GBs

(still don't know why everyone is doing this...)

SpyroDate: Sunday, 24.02.2013, 23:42 | Message # 630
Explorer
United States
Avast

Avast, I know of. Norton 360, here.

Finally.
A few years ago, I never thought I'd see the day, but know I know it was going to happen, sooner or later. Good job, Samsung!

I'm curious to see how Apple- or more precisely, their die-hard fans- react to this as the gap grows larger. They were #1 for so long, and now they are #2, they're also just followers (rather than innovators), and they're starting to loose that "cool" factor. When you're on top for so long, and you brag about it with such hubris, and then you're finally knocked off the podium- well, it's not a great feeling.

After I switched back to the PC, Apple was still doing really well, and the iPads sold like crazy, and I thought to myself "they can't possibly keep it up forever", and I was right. That's not to say they couldn't bounce back on top with another hit product, but think of this as the end of 300, where

Leonidas throws that spear at Xerxes and makes him bleed, and he's so shocked that he's bleeding after having thought of himself as a god.

Apple here is Xerxes. They're still have power, and they haven't been totally defeated, but their ego's been greatly challenged.

Wooooo! I use a Samsung Monitor!

Keyboard = EMachines

Speakers = Logitech

Computer = HP

Chair = I have no idea

/\
RANDOM!

Sorry I have been away for a while, on a vacation. smile

Also, Werdna, your long posts made me realize that my eyes have a seizure when looking at large amounts of condensed white letters. Thanks!

I'm back, but am I here to stay? Hopefully!

Forum » SpaceEngine » Off-topic Discussions » Totally off-topic thread (Talk about anything.)
Page 42 of 231«124041424344230231»
Search: