RUS New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 41 of 231«123940414243230231»
Forum » SpaceEngine » Off-topic Discussions » Totally off-topic thread (Talk about anything.)
Totally off-topic thread
HarbingerDawnDate: Thursday, 21.02.2013, 00:32 | Message # 601
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Quote (anonymousgamer)
*football

*fútbol

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

TimDate: Thursday, 21.02.2013, 07:49 | Message # 602
Explorer
Group: Users
Belgium
Yeah, but the Americans use football for another sport and call our football soccer, right?

HarbingerDawnDate: Thursday, 21.02.2013, 07:56 | Message # 603
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (Tim)
Yeah, but the Americans use football for another sport and call our football soccer, right?

Yes. American Football is called football here, while Association Football is called soccer. The word soccer actually originated in England (where the sport also originated). Due to all of the different kinds of football being played it was necessary to say which kind, and saying "association football" is of course too cumbersome, so they did what Brits do best: they shortened it to something which made no sense at all. Association became soccer. So association football is usually called soccer when some other kind of football is prevalent in that country.

My SE mods and addons

Edited by HarbingerDawn - Thursday, 21.02.2013, 07:58

SalvoDate: Thursday, 21.02.2013, 17:13 | Message # 604
Star Engineer
Group: Local Moderators
Italy
Happy birthday Space Engineer! biggrin

The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: ASUS Radeon R9 270 RAM: 8 GBs

(still don't know why everyone is doing this...)

TimDate: Thursday, 21.02.2013, 19:10 | Message # 605
Explorer
Belgium
It is? Well happy birthday then!
Be sure to take a day off :P
We can wait wink

Edited by Tim - Thursday, 21.02.2013, 19:10

midtskogenDate: Thursday, 21.02.2013, 22:42 | Message # 606
Star Engineer
Norway
Quote (werdnaforever)
Honestly, one of the main reasons I use Windows over linux is because I hate using the terminal. I know how to use it, but I don't like it since it's a stupid, outdated and obsolete interface, which can be replaced by a GUI where I don't have to remember all the commands just to know how to use it properly.

Ooo. Religion war!

GUI only is so frustrating. I hate it when I know what I want to do, but I can't find the right button or menu. It's like being unable to speak and the only way of communicating is by pointing in a pictogram book, which may not even have a pictogram for what you want to say. Besides, powerful tools become not so powerful if they only have a GUI. GUI's assume human interaction and make the program unscriptable. I don't think it's a good idea for a program to assume too much about what a user will use it for. Fine, make shiny GUI's for common things, but there should always be a commandline backdoor.

Yes, the Unix shell is quite dated. It hasn't changed fundamentally since the late 70's. But it still serves a purpose.

I've been using Linux at home, at work, during studies for 20 years. It came to my attention 1992, which was perfect timing since I also began at the university that year, which was only Unix. With Linux I could run the same programs at home that I used at the university, or even run programs remotely and display the windows on my home computer if they were commercial or was only available on a different OS or architecture. That was a new world to me. Windows still can't do that

Before this I used the Commodore computers, but since around 1990 it had been clear that this was going nowhere, so when Linux came and could run X Window, I bought my first PC (which was pretty unthinkable a few years before when what you could run on a PC was just DOS and a DOS application called Windows - it wasn't until Windows NT that Windows could be considered an OS on its own).

I still use Emacs for text editing, reading mail and other things like I did 20 years ago. I get things done. Even if something is old, it doesn't mean that it's broken.

NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

WatsisnameDate: Thursday, 21.02.2013, 22:42 | Message # 607
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
United States
So it is! Congratulations on making another orbit, here's to many more! :cheers: biggrin

HarbingerDawnDate: Thursday, 21.02.2013, 23:02 | Message # 608
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (midtskogen)
Paragraph 1

I don't think that anyone is saying that command line should be REPLACED, only that a good GUI should supplement the command line for a more user-friendly environment. I see no reason why you can't have a good GUI and still do everything you want with command line script too. They're not mutually exclusive.

My SE mods and addons

werdnaforeverDate: Friday, 22.02.2013, 00:50 | Message # 609
World Builder
Pirate
Quote (midtskogen)
GUI only is so frustrating. I hate it when I know what I want to do, but I can't find the right button or menu. It's like being unable to speak and the only way of communicating is by pointing in a pictogram book, which may not even have a pictogram for what you want to say. Besides, powerful tools become not so powerful if they only have a GUI. GUI's assume human interaction and make the program unscriptable. I don't think it's a good idea for a program to assume too much about what a user will use it for. Fine, make shiny GUI's for common things, but there should always be a commandline backdoor.

A GUI is only good if it's designed well. If the commands aren't organized in a logical, efficient way, then it's going to be harder to find things. This is different for every program.
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
good GUI should supplement

I think it's a bit more than supplementary, considering the majority of computer users use GUIs, not CLIs.

Quote (midtskogen)
Ooo. Religion war!

Pleasepleaseplease let's not have an OS flame war or anything remotely close to it! I was simply using an analogy.
All operating systems have their pros and cons.
Quote (midtskogen)
it wasn't until Windows NT that Windows could be considered an OS on its own

Yes
Quote (midtskogen)
I've been using Linux at home, at work, during studies for 20 years. It came to my attention 1992, which was perfect timing since I also began at the university that year, which was only Unix. With Linux I could run the same programs at home that I used at the university, or even run programs remotely and display the windows on my home computer if they were commercial or was only available on a different OS or architecture. That was a new world to me. Windows still can't do that

Well, yes- Windows and Unix OSs are like Apples and Oranges. They're just two different OSs.

Windows still has an exceptionally large software library! Oh, also, there's this space sim called Space engine available for Windows, OS X, and Linux, and it's really cool! You guys should really check it out.
I forget the last time I had a blue screen, but Unix users have kernel panics. I'm going to call them KPODs from now on.

What a reassuring sight it is to see this when your Mac is having problems! Everything's going to be okay! My computer just crashed- that's all, really. No big deal, right? [/sarcasm] Now, you might say something like "well no one really get's kernel panics!" But they do. Often though, it can happen if you have a hardware problem, like on those 11" macbook airs.

HarbingerDawnDate: Friday, 22.02.2013, 01:09 | Message # 610
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (werdnaforever)
I think it's a bit more than supplementary, considering the majority of computer users use GUIs, not CLIs.

My point is that having a good GUI does not have to diminish your ability to use the CLI if you choose to...

My SE mods and addons

werdnaforeverDate: Friday, 22.02.2013, 01:27 | Message # 611
World Builder
Pirate
...these are my last words- Space Engine v.97 will be released on this date: aaargh

anonymousgamerDate: Friday, 22.02.2013, 01:38 | Message # 612
World Builder
Group: Global Moderators
United States
Quote (werdnaforever)
*rambling*

Sometimes i wonder if you try to make sense

Desktop: FX-8350 4.0 GHz, 8 GB DDR3 RAM, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW 8 GB, 2 TB HDD, 24 inch 1920x1080 screen
Laptop: Core i5 480M 2.66 GHz (turbo 2.93), 8 GB DDR3 RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6550m 1 GB, 640 GB HDD, 17.3 inch 1600x900 screen

werdnaforeverDate: Friday, 22.02.2013, 02:07 | Message # 613
World Builder
Pirate
Quote (anonymousgamer)
Sometimes i wonder if you try to make sense

midtskogenDate: Friday, 22.02.2013, 07:16 | Message # 614
Star Engineer
Norway
Quote (werdnaforever)
Oh, also, there's this space sim called Space engine available for Windows, OS X, and Linux, and it's really cool! You guys should really check it out.

wink I use a few Windows programs in Linux. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't work well. SE is fortunately one of those programs that works out of the box.

Quote (werdnaforever)
I forget the last time I had a blue screen, but Unix users have kernel panics. I'm going to call them KPODs from now on.

I think all modern operating systems are quite stable now. Even when hardware or drivers are misbehaving. But I find it awfully annoying that Windows computers expect to be rebooted all the time. We have a small Windows laptop at our family's cabin. It's not used a lot. It's usually weeks or months between each time it's powered on, but it's almost useless since every time it's powered on, it begins whining about updates, and if you give in and go through the updates hoping that you then can do business, it will surely interrupt you again expecting to be rebooted. Argh.

When do I need to reboot my Linux computers? Rarely.

$ uptime
06:14:52 up 765 days, 7:31, 1 user, load average: 1.20, 1.14, 1.34

My main PC which I'm using now was admittedly recently rebooted:

$ uptime
07:16:54 up 79 days, 17:19, 10 users, load average: 0.34, 0.51, 0.50

Why? Hardware upgrade to run SE better. biggrin

NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Edited by midtskogen - Friday, 22.02.2013, 07:19

HarbingerDawnDate: Friday, 22.02.2013, 07:37 | Message # 615
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (midtskogen)
but it's almost useless since every time it's powered on, it begins whining about updates, and if you give in and go through the updates hoping that you then can do business, it will surely interrupt you again expecting to be rebooted.

It's very easy to disable all of that, and update only what you want and when you want, that's what I do. Windows Update actually corrupted my Windows installation one time so I haven't trusted it since.

But your point about rebooting is still valid since some Win machines can start having weird problems when they've had too much uptime.

My SE mods and addons

Forum » SpaceEngine » Off-topic Discussions » Totally off-topic thread (Talk about anything.)
Page 41 of 231«123940414243230231»
Search: