Русский New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 40 of 231«123839404142230231»
Forum » SpaceEngine » Off-topic Discussions » Totally off-topic thread (Talk about anything.)
Totally off-topic thread
DisasterpieceDate: Monday, 18.02.2013, 00:18 | Message # 586
World Builder
Group: Users
United States
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
Meanwhile, in Russia

Trolololololo...

I play teh spase engien

werdnaforeverDate: Monday, 18.02.2013, 02:14 | Message # 587
World Builder
United States
Ready everyone? Are you sure? Okay, here goes:

sudo please-release-space-engine-0.97

Antza2Date: Monday, 18.02.2013, 16:52 | Message # 588
World Builder
Group: Global Moderators
Finland
Quote (werdnaforever)
sudo please-release-space-engine-0.97

[sudo] password for user: **********
sudo: please-release-space-engine-0.97: command not found

try:
sudo apt-get spaceengine-0.97

Go to antza2.deviantart.com for cool photos!

werdnaforeverDate: Monday, 18.02.2013, 18:27 | Message # 589
World Builder
United States
Honestly, one of the main reasons I use Windows over linux is because I hate using the terminal. I know how to use it, but I don't like it since it's a stupid, outdated and obsolete interface, which can be replaced by a GUI where I don't have to remember all the commands just to know how to use it properly.

My problems often arise when trying to install or uninstall software or drivers. If I can find something through a software center/package manager, than it's all fine. If I can't, then I have to download it, and (if it doesn't say) hope that it will work properly. There doesn't seem to be a universal Linux standard for installing programs, and if there is, then it should be used by everyone. Have you ever tried installing realtek drivers or Google Earth? It's a nightmare! I end up having to do a google search for every new thing, and there's always at least a few things to do in the terminal.

I'm not saying I'm a linux expert, or that I know everything about linux and find it frustrating; I'm an advanced Windows user, not Linux user, and I'll admit that. I don't think this makes my point any less valid. I'm making it out of frustration too, so don't take me too seriously.

My point is that if the developers of linux OSs make everything, and I mean every function that comes with the operating system that can be accessed through the terminal available through the GUI, I'll consider switching. In Windows, never have to go to the command prompt. I can do anything and everything through the GUI, no matter what I'm doing. Heck, even the registry has a GUI.

Now, my argument might be picked to the bone by Linux enthusiasts but I don't care. SE is a Windows program anyway, so I'm not in too much danger. I should never have to hop into a terminal in this day and age. In Windows I don't have to. So there. [/frustration with a decentralized type of OS]

sudo apt-get spaceengine-0.97
password: *************

HarbingerDawnDate: Monday, 18.02.2013, 19:11 | Message # 590
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Quote (werdnaforever)
Linux rant

That is also the primary reason why I have not yet switched to Linux. I have no experience with it, but from what little I do know it just seems that it is way too much work to get anything done, and I don't have the patience or attention span to deal with that.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

SpyroDate: Monday, 18.02.2013, 23:13 | Message # 591
Explorer
United States
Windows is getting annoying, but at least 7 is still awesome.

Linux does seem too hard, Mac as well. I have no idea what Linux even looks like once you boot it up, in Mac it's very hard to navigate with a pad as your mouse, understand all those things (Like a symbol bouncing up and down constantly and you have absolutely no idea what it means) and just plain old do stuff. In my opinion, Windows is superior here. Probably due to the fact that I live in America, not Finland, or Russia, or France.

Anyway, Kerbal Space Program Flashback time!

I'm back, but am I here to stay? Hopefully!

Antza2Date: Monday, 18.02.2013, 23:33 | Message # 592
World Builder
Finland
Quote (werdnaforever)
Linux rant

I agree with you on most of those things. I prefer to use linux on my less powerful computer, since linux it boots faster than windows and runs more smoothly most of the time (Ubuntu 12.10 kernel SUCKS!). On my gaming rig i use windows 7 for obvious reasons.

I think that linux could become the leading OS if all essential aspects become standartized. Also terminal needs to become less prominent part of using any linux distro. For most users a black screen with a blinking white line equals a too complex OS. Making a GUI for an app is not that hard.

Quote (Spyro)
I have no idea what Linux even looks like once you boot it up

It can look like anything. There are hundreds of linux distros and most of them use their own desktop environment.

Go to antza2.deviantart.com for cool photos!

werdnaforeverDate: Tuesday, 19.02.2013, 03:26 | Message # 593
World Builder
United States
Quote (Spyro)
Windows is getting annoying, but at least 7 is still awesome.

Windows 7 drove me, a hardcore mac enthusiast, back to the PC platform. Enough said. smile

Quote (Spyro)
Linux does seem too hard, Mac as well. I have no idea what Linux even looks like once you boot it up, in Mac it's very hard to navigate with a pad as your mouse, understand all those things (Like a symbol bouncing up and down constantly and you have absolutely no idea what it means) and just plain old do stuff. In my opinion, Windows is superior here. Probably due to the fact that I live in America, not Finland, or Russia, or France.

I suppose whether any OS is easy or hard really just depends on your skill level and on the complexity of the OS itself.

Regarding the Macintosh OS (yes Apple, I'll say "Macintosh all I want!), there are some recent additions that strike me as counterproductive. This new feature where you don't actually save your work, and everything is opened when you return to applications- well, the way I see it, this is encouraging lazyness. "Why should you have to save your document? The OS should do it for you!" Sometimes you don't want to save a document. Sometimes you open a document, make changes, and decide you liked the original. I can't be the only one who does this. Unless you're an absolute novice, this is the kind of thing which would probably bother people who are used to taking one extra second of their time to press command and S.

The Mac OS also has some flaws that apple hasn't seemed to bother addressing properly. The window management is terrible. Expose is handy, but there's no beating windows snap (aka desktop composition) when you want to work on two things at once. Apple comes up with these (kind of complicated; at least visually) ways of managing windows like Expose and spaces, but they still lack basic functions like being able to maximize windows. You can add snap-like features via third party addons, but this is because of the effort of a third party, not because Apple tried to implement it.

Also, was Windows 7 the first to have snapping windows? I know that (at least) Ubuntu has it now; I'm not sure if it was there before, but I saw it first in Windows 7. It's one of my favorite features of the OS and the commercials for it were auful- they made it seem like something stupid, even though it's like the perfect way to have split-screen windows.

I think there should be a way in windows 7 to "group" two windows together- snap a window to the left, another one to the right, and "join" them in the middle, creating a division which you can move left and right, resizing one while automatically resizing the other, so you can choose exactly how much you want! I can't believe ms thinks aero is dated and cheesy (as they said in that blog post, at least). Mac users (like I used to) would wine and complain how "Apple did the aqua style buttons first, so MS is just a stupid copycat" but really, apple seems to be abandoning aqua for a flat, grey gradient style interface, and also, WINDOWS ARE MADE OF GLASS! Oh yeah! MS is the smaller innovator, and a few years ago I could never have imagined I would have ever said that. And at least metro is something new and different. Once all the functionality of aero is duplicated in the modern UI, then I'll be truly compelled to switch (where's windows explorer for metro?).

Quote (Antza2)
I think that linux could become the leading OS if all essential aspects become standartized. Also terminal needs to become less prominent part of using any linux distro. For most users a black screen with a blinking white line equals a too complex OS. Making a GUI for an app is not that hard.

Your right, making a GUI for what can be done in the terminal isn't hard (no excuses linux devs). But Linux, by it's very nature, isn't going to be centralized any time soon. What might happen is one variant dominating over the others and setting trends, probably Ubuntu at this rate. The other problem is that there are penty of arrogant linux users who not only hate MS Windows and OS X, but GUIs in general and can't live without the terminal. If OSs were religions, then they would be like religious fundamentalists. They will do their fair share of complaining too, believe me. Nevertheless, Linux has to be user friendly with proper standards to be come popular, whether they like it or not. smile

As for me, I've used all three at one point or another, but mostly either Windows or Mac OS, and everything from before windows 95- to windows 8, and from Mac OS 0.85 to 10.7. I kind of take pride in that I feel justified to criticize hardcore enthusiasts of either OS since I've been on both sides of the isle.

Windows 8 is just like windows 1 in many ways, down to the logo. It's been discussed before, but I find the parallels so cool! I made this:

EDIT: Regarding what I said about the Mac OS, apple does seem to be aiming to please the absolute novice, hence what I had said. smile It's another reason I switched- I was tired of being treated like I needed help using my OS.

EDIT 2:
http://www.mnicol.com/
I have Murals of Spring from 1992. I just found a copy of it I had (haven't listened to it in years since my parents played it for me when I was little), and its lovely.

My challenge to you all is to find a copy for sale, somewhere, anywhere. Talk about obscure. I even emailed the site with no response. It's like having an out of print book. EDIT 4: I say this because I can't find the original CD, and I'm kind of (but not really) an audiophile in that I like having the highest quality possible, at least for archival purposes. EDIT 5: Just kidding! This isn't actually separate from the fourth edit; this edit is a joke! EDIT ilosttrack: I'm not actually asking you guys to find it or anything of you guys; I was just speaking figuratively.

EDIT 3: TL;DR: IMO Linux lacks simplicity, and Mac OS X lacks complexity. Win7 is like a happy medium.

EDIT 6 (But really, it's not) At Windows 7 and OS X 10.6, they were both at the top of their game, but since then I think Apple and MS weren't really sure what to do properly with their OSs.

EDIT #whatever: Sorry, this post was longer than a novel (or the list of features we want to see in SE 1.0 tongue )

Attachments: 8816665.png(160Kb)

Edited by werdnaforever - Tuesday, 19.02.2013, 03:53

DisasterpieceDate: Tuesday, 19.02.2013, 04:00 | Message # 594
World Builder
United States
Has anyone ever edited their post that many times? You deserve a medal my good sir, a medal of gold.

I play teh spase engien

HarbingerDawnDate: Tuesday, 19.02.2013, 04:06 | Message # 595
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Quote (werdnaforever)
Sometimes you open a document, make changes, and decide you liked the original. I can't be the only one who does this.

I do this sometimes as well. Autosaving a temporary copy as a failsafe in case of a crash is one thing, but taking away the power to save or not save upon closing the program is something else entirely.

Quote (werdnaforever)
At Windows 7 and OS X 10.6, they were both at the top of their game

I don't think that you can definitively say that Win 7 was the pinnacle of Windows OS thus far. XP, Vista, and 7 each had their strengths and shortcomings. I would say that Vista lacks in performance and efficiency relative to the other two, but it has the best GUI. I didn't care for most of the interface and functionality changes made in 7, hence why I have not switched to it yet. When I first used 7, my reaction was "ah crap, this doesn't look good; wait, you can't do THAT anymore?!; how do you access (xyz)... what, you can't do that either?!" etc. This contrasts with my first time using Vista, where I thought that everything I saw was fantastic and was very impressed by how much easier it was to do a lot of things, and how much better it looked. 7 didn't seem to make anything easier, and it also made the GUI look worse. A lot of good things can be said for XP, but it's so very dated now that it has a hard time measuring up to the more modern OS versions.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

werdnaforeverDate: Tuesday, 19.02.2013, 04:42 | Message # 596
World Builder
United States
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
I do this sometimes as well. Autosaving a temporary copy as a failsafe in case of a crash is one thing, but taking away the power to save or not save upon closing the program is something else entirely.

I don't think it takes away the power to save it, and I think you can disable it, but it was annoying to me when I tried it out. I don't have enough experience with things beyond 10.6 to say much more.

Quote (HarbingerDawn)
I don't think that you can definitively say that Win 7 was the pinnacle of Windows OS thus far. XP, Vista, and 7 each had their strengths and shortcomings. I would say that Vista lacks in performance and efficiency relative to the other two, but it has the best GUI. I didn't care for most of the interface and functionality changes made in 7, hence why I have not switched to it yet. When I first used 7, my reaction was "ah crap, this doesn't look good; wait, you can't do THAT anymore?!; how do you access (xyz)... what, you can't do that either?!" etc. This contrasts with my first time using Vista, where I thought that everything I saw was fantastic and was very impressed by how much easier it was to do a lot of things, and how much better it looked. 7 didn't seem to make anything easier, and it also made the GUI look worse. A lot of good things can be said for XP, but it's so very dated now that it has a hard time measuring up to the more modern OS versions.

Wow, really?
EDIT (sigh): I suppose I just had a different upgrade path, and by that I mean XP to using primarily OS 10.5 and 6, and then to 7. I never really used vista that much. I was still plenty famaliar with XP before I switched to 7, so it wasn't like I had forgotten the ways of XP. And there were some things that bothered me, like the lack of an up button, and the simpler Windows explorer buttons from XP, but now when I want to go up one level, I just click said level on the address bar in the explorer menu, which is actually a more interesting way of doing it, if you ask me.

Windows 7 never crashes on me.

Also, I really like the new taskbar. At first I thought: What's the deal with the lack of a quick launch toolbar? Then (especially after I found out how to re-enable it) I realized it was a total waste of space since the "superbar" is essentially like a giant quick launch bar combined with a taskbar. BTW I set it to combine the windows only when the taskbar is full since I like seeing individual windows, but I have lots of stuff pinned to it. It works for me, at least.

Quote (Disasterpiece)
Has anyone ever edited their post that many times? You deserve a medal my good sir, a medal of gold.

How about a new version of Space Engine? A new version made of gold. Wait, what? EDIT: Where are my manners? Thank you!

How about a medal made of a (non-existent) stable isotope of Roentgenium? This would be a real prize for anyone, my friends.

Edited by werdnaforever - Tuesday, 19.02.2013, 10:52

SalvoDate: Wednesday, 20.02.2013, 22:51 | Message # 597
Star Engineer
Group: Local Moderators
Italy
Milan - Barcelona
2 - 0 !!!!!

The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: ASUS Radeon R9 270 RAM: 8 GBs

(still don't know why everyone is doing this...)

TimDate: Wednesday, 20.02.2013, 23:04 | Message # 598
Explorer
Belgium
Meh, soccer...

anonymousgamerDate: Thursday, 21.02.2013, 00:17 | Message # 599
World Builder
United States
Quote (Tim)
soccer

*football

Desktop: FX-8350 4.0 GHz, 8 GB DDR3 RAM, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW 8 GB, 2 TB HDD, 24 inch 1920x1080 screen
Laptop: Core i5 480M 2.66 GHz (turbo 2.93), 8 GB DDR3 RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6550m 1 GB, 640 GB HDD, 17.3 inch 1600x900 screen

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Thursday, 21.02.2013, 00:27 | Message # 600
Galaxy Architect
Pirate
Quote (anonymousgamer)
*football

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

Forum » SpaceEngine » Off-topic Discussions » Totally off-topic thread (Talk about anything.)
Page 40 of 231«123839404142230231»
Search: