RUS New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 200 of 231«12198199200201202230231»
Forum » SpaceEngine » Off-topic Discussions » Totally off-topic thread (Talk about anything.)
Totally off-topic thread
HornblowerDate: Friday, 13.05.2016, 16:43 | Message # 2986
World Builder
Group: Users
United States
I have an amazing hypothesis about the inside of a black hole and its physics. I've done some research on my idea and it looks like it's original and solves most problems and paradoxes. What should I do and who should I tell?

midtskogenDate: Friday, 13.05.2016, 20:08 | Message # 2987
Star Engineer
Norway
How can your hypothesis be falsified?

NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

HornblowerDate: Friday, 13.05.2016, 20:17 | Message # 2988
World Builder
United States
Quote midtskogen ()
How can your hypothesis be falsified?

I have no clue, but my basis behind it is a logical hunch. (There's no way to disprove that something in inside it)

midtskogenDate: Friday, 13.05.2016, 21:23 | Message # 2989
Star Engineer
Norway
Then your logical hunch belongs to metaphysics.

NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

OstariskDate: Friday, 13.05.2016, 22:00 | Message # 2990
Pioneer
Australia
Quote Thomas988 ()
I'm so sorry! My friends got into my account and decided to spam.

I never noticed you spamming.

My mods

WatsisnameDate: Friday, 13.05.2016, 22:12 | Message # 2991
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
United States
@Hornblower
Do you have a lot of formal training in astrophysics and relativity? How far developed is your hypothesis? Have you worked out a mathematical model, say with ADM formalism? If that's the case you should submit to a journal and have it professionally reviewed.

Otherwise, --and brace yourself as I'm going to be very brutally honest-- don't get your hopes up too much. A lot of people come up with their own theories, and without formal training in astrophysics they are essentially always wrong, or they fail to even qualify as a model (they're "not even wrong", because they can't be tested). The professional scientific community generally ignores them because that's not where real advances in understanding comes from. It's an inefficient use of their time and skills to review every idea everyone comes up with.

That being said, it's always possible that you could be on to something even if from just a conceptual approach, and there are other avenues for getting your idea critiqued or further developed. I'm not an expert myself, but I'd be happy to walk through your logic with you if you want or guide you to additional resources. Feel free to make a new thread about it, or PM me.

midtskogenDate: Sunday, 15.05.2016, 17:50 | Message # 2992
Star Engineer
Norway
I remember getting a 16KB expansion card to my VIC-20 (around 1982/83). Its physical size and cost roughly corresponds to a modern 4TB hard drive, not adjusted for inflation. Or for the same price a 256GB sd card of the size of a fingernail. That's a factor of 250 or 16 million in storage capacity.

I have lived to experience science fiction!

NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Antza2Date: Sunday, 15.05.2016, 18:36 | Message # 2993
World Builder
Finland
Quote midtskogen ()
I have lived to experience science fiction!

This is nothing. When my grand parents were young, their house didn't have electricity and they still used horses for farming. Now they have 4G internet, HD TV and tablet computers. I can't even imagine what seeing that much technological progress must feel like. wacko

Go to antza2.deviantart.com for cool photos!

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Sunday, 15.05.2016, 19:04 | Message # 2994
Galaxy Architect
Pirate
Quote Antza2 ()
I can't even imagine what seeing that much technological progress must feel like

Just survive the next 30 years.

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

werdnaforeverDate: Saturday, 21.05.2016, 05:45 | Message # 2995
World Builder
Pirate

This looked great until the logo appeared. If they really want to reinvent Trek then they need the show to have a unique design language; something that doesn't just look like every other sci-fi show. I'll wait and see his the actual show turns out before I get excited...

anonymousgamerDate: Saturday, 21.05.2016, 06:38 | Message # 2996
World Builder
United States
It looks like they're trying to copy the visual style of the recent movies. I have mixed feelings about this, because although I like how the new movies looked, for a TV show I'd prefer something less flashy. Especially because TV shows don't get the same budget of blockbusters and when stuff like this happens it often falls flat.

Particularly bad case in point

Desktop: FX-8350 4.0 GHz, 8 GB DDR3 RAM, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW 8 GB, 2 TB HDD, 24 inch 1920x1080 screen
Laptop: Core i5 480M 2.66 GHz (turbo 2.93), 8 GB DDR3 RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6550m 1 GB, 640 GB HDD, 17.3 inch 1600x900 screen

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Saturday, 21.05.2016, 12:08 | Message # 2997
Galaxy Architect
Pirate

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

AerospacefagDate: Saturday, 21.05.2016, 12:45 | Message # 2998
Pioneer
Russian Federation
I've discovered a nwe popular "sport" on internet - destroying various things with what could be considered "modern technology".

But that's not the funniest part, now, of all the things that could be tested for destruction, there's a Nokia 3310 mobile phone, which has become something of legendary item back in the days. My grandfather (and the grandmother too) had one for a while, and probably it is still around somewhere.

A technology is being destroyed by technology.
It's like killing an ancient (evil) deity, or a monster, or maybe a test of character for the device.

Edited by Aerospacefag - Saturday, 21.05.2016, 12:46

werdnaforeverDate: Sunday, 22.05.2016, 01:39 | Message # 2999
World Builder
Pirate
Quote anonymousgamer ()
It looks like they're trying to copy the visual style of the recent movies. I have mixed feelings about this, because although I like how the new movies looked, for a TV show I'd prefer something less flashy. Especially because TV shows don't get the same budget of blockbusters and when stuff like this happens it often falls flat.

Indeed.

TNG and TOS are products of their time, but each was still visually unique in all the right ways. The new show shouldn't mimic the movies exactly; they should do what they can with the budget they have. I'm worried about things looking either too tacky or- heaven forbid- too generic. Enterprise wasn't perfect; there were some good things about the show, and I understand what they were trying to do asthetically but it ended up falling flat and looking like a boring, generic sci-fi show.

In TNG, it wasn't just some dull grey metal ship. They were trying to convey a post scarcity society, so the whole ship was well furnished, like some kind of luxury car. It was unique, and it made sense and was believable.

If they want to re-invent Star Trek, then the worst thing they can do is try to emulate any other sci-fi show or franchise; any such thing would basically be a step backwards. They actually have to come up with actual new ideas. Since this is nearly impossible these days in TV and film, I will remain skeptical until they deliver.

They also had their own ideas regarding future tech, some of which are either on the drawing board/coming true/have come true. Cell phones. VR. AI. Glass touch screens. Even warp drives. They need to continue the Star Trek tradition of giving a shit about the show's actual content, ideas, concepts, and writing, something which has been abandoned in the franchise for quite a while now.

Quote Aerospacefag ()
I've discovered a nwe popular "sport" on internet - destroying various things with what could be considered "modern technology".

But that's not the funniest part, now, of all the things that could be tested for destruction, there's a Nokia 3310 mobile phone, which has become something of legendary item back in the days. My grandfather (and the grandmother too) had one for a while, and probably it is still around somewhere.

A technology is being destroyed by technology.
It's like killing an ancient (evil) deity, or a monster, or maybe a test of character for the device.

That poor green clay creature. sad RIP

Edited by werdnaforever - Sunday, 22.05.2016, 01:45

spacerDate: Monday, 23.05.2016, 10:42 | Message # 3000
Star Engineer
Israel
bit of humor: smile happy biggrin

"we began as wanderers, and we are wanderers still"
-carl sagan

-space engine photographer

Forum » SpaceEngine » Off-topic Discussions » Totally off-topic thread (Talk about anything.)
Page 200 of 231«12198199200201202230231»
Search: