RUS New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 183 of 231«12181182183184185230231»
Forum » SpaceEngine » Off-topic Discussions » Totally off-topic thread (Talk about anything.)
Totally off-topic thread
midtskogenDate: Saturday, 03.01.2015, 18:46 | Message # 2731
Star Engineer
Group: Users
Norway
Quote HarbingerDawn ()
using Linux Mint 17 KDE at the moment

I prefer KDE over Gnome, but both are pretty bloated and I sometimes consider going back to the simple window managers of the 90's. KDE apparently seems to be available for Windows as well. I'm not sure how well it's working. It would be bloatware running on top of bloatware, but if it can replace Metro, it might be worth it.
Quote Fireinthehole ()
at least once every year we got -30 C,

I live on a hillside (340 masl) fairly close to the coast, so the cold air sinks below us and clear skies are rarely significant colder than overcast. The coldest I've recorded here is -18.1C and I've been living here for more than 12 years.

I'm not sure if I've been out in temperatures much lower than -30C ever, but I've been out in -25C and gale force winds (15 m/s, gusting to 20) and that's pretty cold.
Quote Watsisname ()
"Climate change" is the change of climate variables in response to the warmer temperature.

"Climate change" is a poor term. It seems to be used for observed (and more or less expected) variability minus modelled natural variability, leaving a risk that model errors get used as evidence of global warming.
Quote Watsisname ()
Because the probability of taking a hit from a tornado isn't large enough for most people to deem structures capable of withstanding them an economically viable strategy

I have an impression that the more hurricane prone a US area is, the more mobile homes you'll find there. And it doesn't take an F5 tornado to wipe out a mobile home.

NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

AerospacefagDate: Saturday, 03.01.2015, 19:37 | Message # 2732
Pioneer
Russian Federation
Quote midtskogen ()
I have an impression that the more hurricane prone a US area is, the more mobile homes you'll find there. And it doesn't take an F5 tornado to wipe out a mobile home.

I've got the impression that it is easier to buy a new mobile house if your old one has been trashed, than to buy a new wooden house. I also presume that Americans aren't that good at building houses from concrete or stone. And it's not like we don't get tornadoes over here, just last summer there was an accident. Not very severe though, the city recovered very quick.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtndyrORluU

The coldest temperature I can remember from recent years is about -37, and it was, AFAIK, in the year we also got temperature record of +38 degrees and several of our nearby forests got burned a lot. -35 is actually, like, when I pull my wool scarf all the way up to my glasses, the frost from my breath coming underneath it falls all over the glass and I have to look around them to see anything. Otherwise my nose just freezes over in the wind.

It is just the middle of East European plain, with our average -12 in January, I lived in Siberia before which can get ranges between -40 in the winter to +35 in the summer. You can't live in simple wooden houses in such conditions, it is not feasible. Coastal climate is sure milder in the terms of temperature, but high humidity makes it more ... appreciable, I guess.

midtskogenDate: Saturday, 03.01.2015, 20:11 | Message # 2733
Star Engineer
Norway
We had some aurora again last night: https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152645711126443

My video was just aired in the evening news on national TV. Aurora visible over the entire country is fairly rare, so they ran a story.

Quote Aerospacefag ()
Coastal climate is sure milder in the terms of temperature, but high humidity makes it more ... appreciable, I guess.

Summers here are quite comfortable humidity wise. June has an average daily max of about 18C and rh stays around 60% (monthly average), neither dry or sticky. The humidity can be quite depressing during winter, however, with monthly averages above 90%. We sometimes have heavy fog continuously for weeks, the only variation is whether the visibility is 50, 100 or 150 m. On snowy roads a visibility of 50m means near whiteout and that you cannot drive safely above 30 km/h. Luckily, my workplace usually is below the clouds, which really helps staying sane. On the other side, the downside of dry, cold inland winter climate is the constant static electricity indoors, dry and itchy skin, flaky fingertips, etc. I'm not sure what's worse.

NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

spacerDate: Monday, 05.01.2015, 12:29 | Message # 2734
Star Engineer
Israel
Ohh and December was the driest December since 1993 here

Added (05.01.2015, 11:29)
---------------------------------------------
Fireinthehole, you are right, we getting this cold storm from russia and scandinavia

"we began as wanderers, and we are wanderers still"
-carl sagan

-space engine photographer

midtskogenDate: Tuesday, 06.01.2015, 13:21 | Message # 2735
Star Engineer
Norway
4K video shot just by moonlight. Sony A7S is a really cool camera!

NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Tuesday, 06.01.2015, 13:32 | Message # 2736
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
Pirate
Speaking of 4k

Apparently a lot of companies want to make it the new standard.

http://www.theverge.com/2015....es-2015

I see far too many issues to overcome for this to be the new standard any time soon. The average home internet speed is garbage and can barely load 720p, let alone 1080, 2k, or 4k.

The average home computer cannot play games in 4k resolution and even systems like mine or better struggle in many newer titles.

And finally the infrastructure for streaming 4k to TVs or home computers doesn't exist and will cost billions of dollars and hundreds of man hours to put in place. Maybe by 2025 or 2030 we will have 4k as a standard.

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

midtskogenDate: Tuesday, 06.01.2015, 14:44 | Message # 2737
Star Engineer
Norway
Today's 720p and 1080p are usually transmitted with AVC (H.264). The newer HEVC (H.265) is much more able to work with 4K and the bandwidth requirement for 4K HEVC isn't that much higher than for 1080p AVC, certainly less than 2x, possibly approaching the same requirement.

I think the main obstacle for 4K is not network bandwidth, but still processing power and bus bandwidth. HEVC requires more processing power than AVC even for the same resolution, both the decoder and to a higher degree the encoder, and also just transferring a 30 Hz 4K video stream after decompression requires a bandwidth of 6 Gbit/s, which is a lot. And twice that for 60 Hz.

Also, HEVC is relatively new and it will take time for hardware solutions to mature. Current hardware HEVC encoders don't perform much better than AVC. But this will change.

So eventually, even if network bandwidth doesn't improve, we'll likely see 4K become fairly common. Most of the billions you speak of have already been invested, so it's not going to be thrown away.

NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

werdnaforeverDate: Tuesday, 06.01.2015, 20:28 | Message # 2738
World Builder
Pirate
Happy new year everyone

spacerDate: Wednesday, 07.01.2015, 08:48 | Message # 2739
Star Engineer
Israel
The snow will come in few hours! But this storm is strong, the wind is 50kph right now. Edit: now i saw bird that trying to fly and feild, the wind won
And temperature in the night will be -1c but will feel like -4c. Cant wait for the first and probably the last snow in this winter.

-carl sagan

Edited by spacer - Wednesday, 07.01.2015, 08:53

AerospacefagDate: Wednesday, 07.01.2015, 18:03 | Message # 2740
Pioneer
Russian Federation
We got about -30 outside right now, but tomorrow the forecast says that the temperature will rise to normal levels of -15.
My room has new plastic windows (they do let some air pass through them) and working heating system below them so all I had to do was to draw the curtains so that cold air would circulate near windows and not inside the room.

midtskogenDate: Friday, 09.01.2015, 07:15 | Message # 2741
Star Engineer
Norway

NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

WatsisnameDate: Friday, 09.01.2015, 07:24 | Message # 2742
Galaxy Architect
United States
I think they're all pretty easy to read, but maybe I just math. The one for 5 is wrong though; the factorial needs to be taken out of the radical.

/nerdsniped

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Saturday, 10.01.2015, 02:22 | Message # 2743
Galaxy Architect
Pirate

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

spacerDate: Wednesday, 14.01.2015, 15:47 | Message # 2744
Star Engineer
Israel
someone see here the walking dead? i think its a great show smile

-carl sagan

RockoRocksDate: Wednesday, 14.01.2015, 15:59 | Message # 2745
World Builder
Belgium
midtskogen, even if you know nothing about mathematics you can precisely know where each number is by memorising what a normal clock looks like.

I will be inactive on this forum for the time being. Might come back eventually

AMD AR-3305M APU w/ Radeon HD 1.90 GHz 6,00 GB RAM

Forum » SpaceEngine » Off-topic Discussions » Totally off-topic thread (Talk about anything.)
Page 183 of 231«12181182183184185230231»
Search: