Русский New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 182 of 231«12180181182183184230231»
Forum » SpaceEngine » Off-topic Discussions » Totally off-topic thread (Talk about anything.)
Totally off-topic thread
HarbingerDawnDate: Friday, 02.01.2015, 23:50 | Message # 2716
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Today I decided to assign myself a challenge: to not use a Windows operating system for 30 days. This is something I haven't done in over 20 years, so it should be an interesting experience. I hope to come out of it as a more comfortable and experienced Linux user (using Linux Mint 17 KDE at the moment).

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

spacerDate: Saturday, 03.01.2015, 12:15 | Message # 2717
Star Engineer
Group: Users
Israel
Ohh yeah!! Probably there will be snow for 3 days here on Thursday Wednesday and Friday ! the record will be in the night between Wednesday and Thursday with -2C! Finally some snow. The coldest temperature i ever been in my life is -3C year ago.
Because it happen 1 time per year or 2, when there is snow there is no school! :d but the snow storms in the last years is much stronger then it was decent ago, the area here is getting more colder winter every year. But it's probably because the climate change. If i remember correctly there was no snow at all in between 2005-2010 but i was young so maybe i dont remember.
Any way! Time to pick up the warm clothes and get ready! Happy new year and happy late winter!! Heheh

"we began as wanderers, and we are wanderers still"
-carl sagan

-space engine photographer

Edited by spacer - Saturday, 03.01.2015, 12:16

Billy_MayesDate: Saturday, 03.01.2015, 13:15 | Message # 2718
Pioneer
Finland
Quote spacer ()
The coldest temperature i ever been in my life is -3C year ago.

That's funny, the coldest weather I've experienced was -37 Celsius!

Recent winters here in Finland are often coming later than usual, a few years ago the first real snow came in January. And there's much less snow than usual.

Our school never gets cancelled for snow or low temperatures. biggrin Though when it's below -25 you can stay inside for recess.

AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2 GHz Quad-Core - AMD Radeon HD 6950 2GB VRAM - 4GB RAM - 1680x1050 75 Hz Samsung screen

spacerDate: Saturday, 03.01.2015, 13:28 | Message # 2719
Star Engineer
Israel
Billy_Mayes, its because snow is normal site where you live. Here in jerusalem little snow and no schools, i dont know the reason but it probably to give the children be in the snow and because its really cold here and all people stay at home.
And yeah -37c its reallt cold but you live in the north. The climate here is arid and dry. Can reach 40c in the summer and in the winter less then 5c its rare. But i am living near jerusalem in the judea mountains. So shen cold storm reach this area there will be snow, but most of the times its just 1c or 0c when there is snow and it happend 1 time per year or maybe 2 or 3 years like i said before. But like i said the winters is colder and colder every year!

-carl sagan

FireintheholeDate: Saturday, 03.01.2015, 13:56 | Message # 2720
Pioneer
Group: Translators
Sweden
Quote spacer ()
But like i said the winters is colder and colder every year!

You get our winters! biggrin I remember when I was little, at least once every year we got -30 C, now we rarely see temperatures below -15. Of course the far north parts still get really cold winters.

Love SpaceEngine!

spacerDate: Saturday, 03.01.2015, 14:34 | Message # 2721
Star Engineer
Israel
Fireinthehole, you really can see the climate change here in action. The summers getting warmer, the winters getting colder

-carl sagan

FireintheholeDate: Saturday, 03.01.2015, 14:38 | Message # 2722
Pioneer
Group: Translators
Sweden
Quote spacer ()
Fireinthehole, you really can see the climate change here in action. The summers getting warmer, the winters getting colder

It's the other way around here, summers are chilly and winters warm sad

Love SpaceEngine!

WatsisnameDate: Saturday, 03.01.2015, 14:58 | Message # 2723
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
United States
I doubt climate change / global warming is so apparent on an individual level over 10 or 20 years. Much of that is just normal variability. At least in most cases. Evidence is mounting that certain regional and local extremes are shifting in measurable ways. The main thing though becomes apparent when averaged globally.

AerospacefagDate: Saturday, 03.01.2015, 15:25 | Message # 2724
Pioneer
Russian Federation
Fireinthehole, I can kinda confirm that. There wasn't enough snow outside until at least middle of December.

Quote Watsisname ()
The main thing though becomes apparent when averaged globally.

"Averaged globally" isn't really a proper criteria for defining the climate change - the problem is that it seems, people really can't determine what to count as "climate change" in the first place. Some say, it's "average temperature", like "average temperature in the hospital, including deceased and ill", which is legit as far as simple definitions can go. Some count the differences between recorded history of climate and actual situation, which isn't very good too because these might by just cyclic variations. The better way, as I think, is to determine economic impacts and apply appropriate measures to project the situation in the future - separately or collectively.

The problem of climate impact doesn't lie in the area of perception of regular people, but in applied sectors of the economy. Although, in the first place, our economy itself isn't very healthy, you can even observe economical instruments that are claimed to "save the nature" or "improve the ecology" while in reality they are supporting influence of big industry companies. Like the trade with emission quotas. Or "green fuel" - if you want to rise enough biomass for fuel, you will have to use land and water that can be used for quality food production. But more importantly, you will need a fuel to set this in motion - so you will have to burn several times the amount of gasoline to receive the needed amount of "clean" ethanol. But it works because people want to buy the idea of clean air in their city and don't know anything about what lies beyond their city.

Edited by Aerospacefag - Saturday, 03.01.2015, 15:26

WatsisnameDate: Saturday, 03.01.2015, 16:42 | Message # 2725
Galaxy Architect
United States
"Global warming" is the increase in average planetary surface temperature. This is fairly straightforward and is a simple application of radiative physics. Scientific consensus among those who are active in this field is that human activities are driving the current period of global warming. Previous changes in planetary temperature are also fairly well understood.

"Climate change" is the change of climate variables in response to the warmer temperature. These are regional, widely varied, not very straightforward, and are continually studied. Our ability to study and understand them barely keeps up with the rate of observed changes.

spacerDate: Saturday, 03.01.2015, 17:14 | Message # 2726
Star Engineer
Israel
Just something I thought about for the Americans: why do you build houses from wood if you have so many tornados and extreme weather? Hehe

-carl sagan

WatsisnameDate: Saturday, 03.01.2015, 17:28 | Message # 2727
Galaxy Architect
United States
Because the probability of taking a hit from a tornado isn't large enough for most people to deem structures capable of withstanding them an economically viable strategy, especially after considering what it would take to withstand an EF-5, versus the ease of using a simple underground shelter.

/serious response to a silly question wink

spacerDate: Saturday, 03.01.2015, 17:31 | Message # 2728
Star Engineer
Israel
Yes i know this is silly

-carl sagan

WatsisnameDate: Saturday, 03.01.2015, 17:43 | Message # 2729
Galaxy Architect
United States
I know. smile Here's another:
Hey Australians, why do you live in a country that is either on fire or under water all the time, and full of horrifying creatures that will kill you?
-Love, 'Murica.

spacerDate: Saturday, 03.01.2015, 17:46 | Message # 2730
Star Engineer
Israel
Lol ok ok i get it hehehehe kangaroo! and all the poison animals tongue

-carl sagan

Edited by spacer - Saturday, 03.01.2015, 18:23

Forum » SpaceEngine » Off-topic Discussions » Totally off-topic thread (Talk about anything.)
Page 182 of 231«12180181182183184230231»
Search: