RUS New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 176 of 231«12174175176177178230231»
Forum » SpaceEngine » Off-topic Discussions » Totally off-topic thread (Talk about anything.)
Totally off-topic thread
apenpaapDate: Saturday, 08.11.2014, 16:56 | Message # 2626
World Builder
Group: Users
Antarctica
I like them a lot too.

I occasionally stream at http://www.twitch.tv/magistermystax. Sometimes SE, sometimes other games.

midtskogenDate: Saturday, 08.11.2014, 22:23 | Message # 2627
Star Engineer
Norway
Quote Watsisname ()
Just got back from seeing Interstellar.

Me too! I watched it with my son, aged 8 who had been enchanted by the movie posters for a while. The plot would seem a bit too gloomy and complicated for him, but he appears to have understood quite a bit of the story.

I agree on the sound and decibels (the score was ok, and less typical Hans Zimmer than usual). We were watching this in a big theater, nearly a 1000 seats with a matching speaker system, and the subwoofer was pounding my face and I could feel the air move through my hair. This was fine for the rocket scenes, but not for the main lengths of the movie.

I'll avoid going into the plot, but make some general remarks. I think the movie was trying to do some things right and new, and it was captivating enough for me to give a feeling that time indeed is relative, making me leave the theater with an uncertainty of how long I was gone in the outside world while watching the movie. The movie wasn't predictable at all long term, there were several interesting turns in the plot, though at times I felt it was clear where things were moving short term and I wished I could fast forward a bit.

It's difficult not to think of 2001, but the movies are very different in some respects. I'm left with a feeling that Interstellar was too explicit. It could have left more to the imagination or interpretation of the audience and that way have avoided much of the problem of a plot which breaks after a little scrutiny.

The last sci-fi movie I watched was Gravity, which I think was ok, but if I am to see one of them again, I think I would choose Interstellar. The sci-fi movie I watched before that was Promotheus, which was terrible, the only interesting bit in that movie was the Indo-European dialogue, so it's good to see some good movies again.

I'm not sure about the very end.

As for the Hobbit, I will see the last movie, but my opinion on the trilogy is that the three films are excellent raw material for making a 90 minute version of the story. I hope someone will do that one day.

NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

WatsisnameDate: Sunday, 09.11.2014, 03:53 | Message # 2628
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
United States
Quote HarbingerDawn ()
Am I the only one who liked them?

Certainly no; there is very wide positive reception for them. Actually I'm being too tough on them -- there were parts of the films that I was thrilled with, and am still very likely to watch the final one anyway. There's just something about their pacing that personally drives me to madness -- I think the material would have been better suited for one 3hr film. But Peter likes putting in a lot of back/sidestory, and long establishing shots, so I can understand his decision.

@midtskogen: Nice review! I agree the film left too little to the imagination. Much like Inception in this regard (minus Inception's ending). And some scenes that dragged on too long ("We get it already, move on!"), or exposition that leaves one thinking "Who the heck says stuff like that?"

I thought the sound levels during the launch sequence was kind of neat -- in IMAX I could even feel the seat shaking from all the bass noise. If I could use one word to describe the film experience, it would be "immersive". Scott Manley said that after watching Interstellar at a private screening, he asked a Space Shuttle pilot if that scene was as loud as actually being in a shuttle launch, to which the reply was "No. It was louder."

Antza2Date: Sunday, 09.11.2014, 13:16 | Message # 2629
World Builder
Finland
Well i can't see Interstellar yet, so i had to come up with other things to do.

Go to antza2.deviantart.com for cool photos!

WatsisnameDate: Sunday, 09.11.2014, 14:00 | Message # 2630
Galaxy Architect
United States
But will it blend?

Antza2Date: Sunday, 09.11.2014, 19:19 | Message # 2631
World Builder
Finland

Go to antza2.deviantart.com for cool photos!

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Sunday, 09.11.2014, 19:30 | Message # 2632
Galaxy Architect
Pirate
"Not Bulletproof"

sad

Spoilers for interstellar

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

WatsisnameDate: Monday, 10.11.2014, 16:43 | Message # 2633
Galaxy Architect
United States
Not sure if the writers were aware of the big hulking paradox at the heart of that, or if they did it on purpose just to troll people into debating about how it makes no sense. smile

Added:
As far as movie timelines go, I always liked this one:

or the easier to read version:

HarbingerDawnDate: Monday, 10.11.2014, 18:48 | Message # 2634
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

AerospacefagDate: Monday, 10.11.2014, 22:16 | Message # 2635
Pioneer
Russian Federation
Quote DoctorOfSpace ()
Spoilers for interstellar

The tesseract.

Attachments: 5777339.jpg(64Kb)

Edited by Aerospacefag - Monday, 10.11.2014, 22:17

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Monday, 10.11.2014, 22:46 | Message # 2636
Galaxy Architect
Pirate
Quote Aerospacefag ()
Using, umm, well, time travel. Why not?

No matter the type of time travel there are always logical paradoxes and this includes closed loop time travel. Any sort of paradox that cannot be resolved leads to the inevitable conclusion that no matter what we ever do, time travel to the past will forever be impossible.

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

midtskogenDate: Tuesday, 11.11.2014, 05:52 | Message # 2637
Star Engineer
Norway
If the universe is deterministic, perhaps simply because it popped into existence with a fixed geometry including loops, wouldn't that solve the apparent paradox in Interstellar?

NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

WatsisnameDate: Tuesday, 11.11.2014, 19:49 | Message # 2638
Galaxy Architect
United States
~=Caution: This post contains Interstellar Spoilers=~

No, I think this contradicts the explanation that the film itself provides. The closed time-like curve (what allows Cooper to send information [via gravity] to his own past), is created by the existence of the tesseract, but the tesseract is explained as being built by future humans, rather than being an initial condition. And since the ability to produce the tesseract requires that humans produced the portal, which requires the prior existence of the tesseract, this also leads to paradox.

Also, the universe is deterministic, at least in classical mechanics (not quantum mechanically).

Determinism in physics means this:
Given information about a system (state variables), and knowledge of dynamic laws governing its evolution, then you can predict its future behavior. Its past behavior, too, if the laws are reversible (they usually are). Visually, imagine the space of states of a system as a collection of labelled boxes. Dynamical laws, then, are represented with arrows connecting them. If the evolution is deterministic, then every box has exactly one arrow in and one arrow out. The arrow that goes in and the arrow that goes out may even be the same arrow (a closed loop), which just means “if at A, go to A” – the system does not change. An example of a non-deterministic system would be if you have two arrows in and one arrow out. Then you know where to go, but not where you came from. Such a system is irreversible, or non-deterministic in the past.

spacerDate: Tuesday, 11.11.2014, 22:34 | Message # 2639
Star Engineer
Israel
so many spoilers here! please nooooooo tongue wait few weeks until all of us will see XD

"we began as wanderers, and we are wanderers still"
-carl sagan

-space engine photographer

WatsisnameDate: Tuesday, 11.11.2014, 23:19 | Message # 2640
Galaxy Architect
United States
I don't think anything overly important was said here without either a prominent spoiler warning or spoiler tag. Unless you mean in the chatbox...

Forum » SpaceEngine » Off-topic Discussions » Totally off-topic thread (Talk about anything.)
Page 176 of 231«12174175176177178230231»
Search: