RUS New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 141 of 231«12139140141142143230231»
Forum » SpaceEngine » Off-topic Discussions » Totally off-topic thread (Talk about anything.)
Totally off-topic thread
midtskogenDate: Monday, 06.01.2014, 09:20 | Message # 2101
Star Engineer
Group: Users
Norway
Quote Salvo ()
Aliens

Watch out for tripods in the Norwegian forests now!

But we're used to dealing with trolls.

I checked with the local power company. They said that there were some problems with icing on the lines, so they temporarily increased the load on the lines to melt the ice, and then this sometimes happens...

A reminder of the challenges of maintaining the power grid of Norway where warm, windy, humid air from the Atlantic meats mountains. Icing is a serious problem. Blocks of ice nearly 1.5 meters across weighing 305 kg/m have been measured.

NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Edited by midtskogen - Monday, 06.01.2014, 09:21

apenpaapDate: Tuesday, 07.01.2014, 23:18 | Message # 2102
World Builder
Antarctica
10 more to the 33333rd post on this forum! (eight now)

Added (08.01.2014, 02:18)
---------------------------------------------

Peter Capaldi has begun filming his first Doctor Who episode as the Twelfth Doctor. The episodes don't start until august, but maybe we'll soon find out what his outfit will be.

Meanwhile, I'm getting my Who fix by watching (and in some cases rewatching) the First Doctor's episodes.

I occasionally stream at http://www.twitch.tv/magistermystax. Sometimes SE, sometimes other games.

Edited by apenpaap - Monday, 06.01.2014, 16:54

NovaSiliskoDate: Wednesday, 08.01.2014, 00:09 | Message # 2103
Explorer
Group: SE team
United States
I wish Netflix had more early DW stuff. I'm actually finding the early ones more enjoyable and watchable than some of the more recent ones, contrary to my expectations.

apenpaapDate: Wednesday, 08.01.2014, 00:27 | Message # 2104
World Builder
Antarctica
I generally like the modern series better myself, but that's mainly because I find the classic series less consistent in quality. The good stories are often very good, but there's also a good deal of bad ones in there. I love The Aztecs for example and still loved it on rewatch the past few days, while I happily skipped over the dreary Keys of Marinus this time around. Mind you, I've only seen a couple of episodes of the Second to Seventh Doctors, so I'm mainly talking about the Hartnell era here.

I occasionally stream at http://www.twitch.tv/magistermystax. Sometimes SE, sometimes other games.

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Wednesday, 08.01.2014, 00:41 | Message # 2105
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
Pirate
Doctor Who is decent but everyone knows the greatest Science Fiction is Star Trek TNG.

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

apenpaapDate: Wednesday, 08.01.2014, 01:40 | Message # 2106
World Builder
Antarctica
I don't. tongue I like Deep Space Nine and Enterprise a lot more, for one.

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Wednesday, 08.01.2014, 01:47 | Message # 2107
Galaxy Architect
Pirate
Quote apenpaap ()
and Enterprise a lot more

Quote apenpaap ()
Enterprise a lot more

Quote apenpaap ()
Enterprise a lot

Quote apenpaap ()
Enterprise

EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

apenpaapDate: Wednesday, 08.01.2014, 02:00 | Message # 2108
World Builder
Antarctica
Yes. Enterprise is cool.

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Wednesday, 08.01.2014, 02:15 | Message # 2109
Galaxy Architect
Pirate
Enterprise started out decently and just quickly went downhill real fast. The show had potential but fumbled about a lot, had screwy time travel plots with no true conclusions, and just never locked in like classic trek. It missed the core message of what Trek was really about.

Deep Space Nine was good but it wasn't nearly as good as The Next Generation.

EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

apenpaapDate: Wednesday, 08.01.2014, 02:20 | Message # 2110
World Builder
Antarctica
I disagree; it started out decently and went downhill in the second season. Then the third and fourth seasons came, reinvented the show, and made it generally quite fantastic and some of my favourite Trek.

As for TNG, while it's quite good, I find its lack of character development, generally quite bland main characters (Picard, Data, and Worf being major exceptions to me) excessive use of reset buttons and aliens of the week seriously holds it back.

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Wednesday, 08.01.2014, 02:42 | Message # 2111
Galaxy Architect
Pirate
Quote apenpaap ()
I find its lack of character development

Picard, Data, Worf, Wesley, Beverly, Riker, Geordi, Troi, and many other main characters develop throughout the course of the show. Then you have many other protagonists and antagonists that also develop through single episodes and through the show.

Quote apenpaap ()
excessive use of reset buttons

All Trek does this

Quote apenpaap ()
aliens of the week seriously holds it back.

True but many of those episodes had political, social, and moral messages behind them that tied directly into real world issues. Not to mention that a lot of those alien of the week episodes introduced many, if not most, of the iconic species and characters in Star Trek.

Quote apenpaap ()
generally quite bland main characters

I don't know what show you were watching but it doesn't sound like TNG to me.

EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

apenpaapDate: Wednesday, 08.01.2014, 03:00 | Message # 2112
World Builder
Antarctica
Quote DoctorOfSpace ()
Picard, Data, Worf, Wesley, Beverly, Riker, Geordi, Troi, and many other main characters develop throughout the course of the show. Then you have many other protagonists and antagonists that also develop through single episodes and through the show.

Sure, there's some character development; especially for Data and Worf (again, I like these two). But it's not nearly enough to my taste. Compare it to DS9, where just about every character got huge amounts of character development and was quite a different person in What You Leave Behind than in Emissary.

excessive use of reset buttons

All Trek does this

Sure, but again, it's a matter of degree. On TNG status quo was god and as a result there was a lot of reset buttoning.

aliens of the week seriously holds it back.

True but many of those episodes had political, social, and moral messages behind them that tied directly into real world issues. Not to mention that a lot of those alien of the week episodes introduced many, if not most, of the iconic species and characters in Star Trek.

Sure, many of those episodes are good, but their lack of consequences and continuity is a big misser to me. I prefer more serialised stories, and very much liked the ongoing plots with the various species on DS9 and Enterprise's latter half.

generally quite bland main characters

I don't know what show you were watching but it doesn't sound like TNG to me.

I find Riker, Troi, Crusher, and Geordi quite boring most of the time. The almost complete lack of conflict among the main cast is a related problem.

Anyway, as I said before, it's not like I hate TNG. I quite like it in fact; I just don't love it.

HarbingerDawnDate: Wednesday, 08.01.2014, 05:16 | Message # 2113
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Quote DoctorOfSpace ()
Deep Space Nine was good but it wasn't nearly as good as The Next Generation.

Wrong, DS9 was a better show overall, though TNG was is still the "quintessential" Trek show.

Quote apenpaap ()
Enterprise's latter half.

Was still terrible and does not deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as DS9 or TNG. I agree with everything you said above, except that Enterprise was anything other than awful. Because it was a disaster.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Wednesday, 08.01.2014, 12:47 | Message # 2114
Galaxy Architect
Pirate
Quote HarbingerDawn ()
Wrong

The people have spoken

TNG based show

EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

HarbingerDawnDate: Wednesday, 08.01.2014, 12:53 | Message # 2115
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Quote DoctorOfSpace ()
The people have spoken

Do you really want to bring raw popularity into this? Because I can go there too.

Quote DoctorOfSpace ()
TNG based show

Just as TNG was based on the original Star Trek. Does that make TOS better than TNG?

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

Forum » SpaceEngine » Off-topic Discussions » Totally off-topic thread (Talk about anything.)
Page 141 of 231«12139140141142143230231»
Search: