Русский New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 109 of 231«12107108109110111230231»
Forum » SpaceEngine » Off-topic Discussions » Totally off-topic thread (Talk about anything.)
Totally off-topic thread
werdnaforeverDate: Thursday, 22.08.2013, 04:02 | Message # 1621
World Builder
Group: Users
United States
(posts related to double rainbows)

Big deal

Wow. A double rainbow. Amazing

HarbingerDawnDate: Thursday, 22.08.2013, 22:01 | Message # 1622
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

WatsisnameDate: Thursday, 22.08.2013, 23:34 | Message # 1623
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
United States
So that's how microwave communications work... man I've been doing it wrong my whole life. :V

HarbingerDawnDate: Friday, 23.08.2013, 00:54 | Message # 1624
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (Watsisname)
So that's how microwave communications work... man I've been doing it wrong my whole life

ahahahahaha biggrin Pure gold, you definitely get an award for this!

My SE mods and addons

werdnaforeverDate: Friday, 23.08.2013, 19:33 | Message # 1625
World Builder
United States
Water is pure energy because ripples in a pond are microwaves.

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Friday, 23.08.2013, 19:39 | Message # 1626
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
Pirate
Free energy conspiracy theories summed up.

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

HarbingerDawnDate: Sunday, 25.08.2013, 06:27 | Message # 1627
Cosmic Curator
United States
Was on Wikipedia when I saw this picture. I thought it was cool, and then I saw the TLD in the URL...

Now that's something you don't see every day.

My SE mods and addons

midtskogenDate: Sunday, 25.08.2013, 07:33 | Message # 1628
Star Engineer
Norway
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
then I saw the TLD in the URL...

.su was created just before the Soviet Union was dissolved, but websites didn't really appear around the world until 1992, after the dissolution. The web took off in 1993. So while the screen looks like something from the 80's, it isn't. smile

NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

HarbingerDawnDate: Sunday, 25.08.2013, 08:39 | Message # 1629
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (midtskogen)
So while the screen looks like something from the 80's, it isn't.

I know, this image was taken in 2009. It's just interesting to see and think about.

My SE mods and addons

midtskogenDate: Sunday, 25.08.2013, 09:36 | Message # 1630
Star Engineer
Norway
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
It's just interesting to see and think about.

smile Depends. I remember the .su domain, and thought it odd when .ru domains began appearing. Both were somewhat exotic, though. Just like cars in Norway with Russian plates began appearing 10-15 years ago. Now they're quite common, though.

I found the Basic program more interesting to see and think about. I wrote programs in Basic 30 years ago.

NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

werdnaforeverDate: Monday, 26.08.2013, 01:46 | Message # 1631
World Builder
United States
It's all Russian Greek to me.

EDIT: Some time in the future, we are going to run out of two letter TLDs for countries. On this day, panic will erupt as the atmosphere sets on fire and... I don't know. All I know is that something really bad will happen. Think of the creepiest, craziest, scariest thing you've ever thought of or heard. That is what will happen.

EDIT 2: On a serious note, if we were creating a new internet, what would be another way of assigning names to websites without the hassles of the domain name system? I'm talking more about what you type in to get to a specific webpage and less about the coding behind it. Clearly, using TLDs to organize websites by subject hasn't worked out the way it was intended to.

Edited by werdnaforever - Monday, 26.08.2013, 01:58

AerospacefagDate: Monday, 26.08.2013, 17:02 | Message # 1632
Pioneer
Russian Federation
I have here on my shelf this little trophy from my university "archives"(of different sorts of rubbish they forgot to get rid of). A little 130-page book(made of shitty paper with simple staples) with tables, letters an terms, somehow completely unknown in our "information age".
It is called "Contract for Complex Information Service in 1992 y." Moscow, 1991, Ministry of energetics and electrification of USSR, Center of scientific-technical information of energetics and electrification INFORMENERGO, customer's copy.

Edited by Aerospacefag - Monday, 26.08.2013, 17:05

midtskogenDate: Monday, 26.08.2013, 21:37 | Message # 1633
Star Engineer
Norway
Quote (Aerospacefag)
On a serious note, if we were creating a new internet, what would be another way of assigning names to websites without the hassles of the domain name system? I'm talking more about what you type in to get to a specific webpage and less about the coding behind it. Clearly, using TLDs to organize websites by subject hasn't worked out the way it was intended to.

I think that search engines fill the roles that domain names wont or can't. All sites on the internet as we know it will always need a fixed canonical name, but a intuitive hierarchical structure isn't really necessary.

DNS, the distributed database making the domain names possible, is remarkably successful considering that it was designed and implemented around the mid 80's before anyone could know how the internet would grow or could really test whether the design would scale well enough. Its major design flaw is the lack of security (preventing phishing for example). And it's somewhat vulnerable to really bad business ideas, such as when Verisign (the registrar for .com and others) decided to map all non-existing domains to their own servers in order to try to make some extra money (and in the process breaking the standard as well as a lot of things). So the current system isn't perfect, but it mostly works.

NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

werdnaforeverDate: Tuesday, 27.08.2013, 06:04 | Message # 1634
World Builder
United States
Quote (midtskogen)
I think that search engines fill the roles that domain names wont or can't. All sites on the internet as we know it will always need a fixed canonical name, but a intuitive hierarchical structure isn't really necessary.

DNS, the distributed database making the domain names possible, is remarkably successful considering that it was designed and implemented around the mid 80's before anyone could know how the internet would grow or could really test whether the design would scale well enough. Its major design flaw is the lack of security (preventing phishing for example). And it's somewhat vulnerable to really bad business ideas, such as when Verisign (the registrar for .com and others) decided to map all non-existing domains to their own servers in order to try to make some extra money (and in the process breaking the standard as well as a lot of things). So the current system isn't perfect, but it mostly works.

Granted, that's all true... but hypothetically speaking, if we created a new network, not connected to the current internet- then what would a new hierarchy be?

In fact, let's imagine we found a new Earth like planet and magically created a new civilization there, and all that's left to do is to set up and program the computers and the digital networks. If it makes it any easier, imagine it's a procedural planet in SE. smile By no means am I hoping for procedural internet systems on procedural planets with life; I don't want my computer to melt into a puddle of plastic and metal as a result since it costs money to replace and clean up.

midtskogenDate: Tuesday, 27.08.2013, 07:44 | Message # 1635
Star Engineer
Norway
Quote (Aerospacefag)
130-page ... [c]ontract

Who reads a 130 page contract?

I set up a broker account in the US a few years ago. I like to have a look at papers that I agree to, so I downloaded the full agreement and sent it to the printer without looking more into it. When I checked the printer later I found a stack of paper that was nearly 10 cm tall. "They got to be kidding" I thought, but apparently they weren't. I don't remember the number of pages exactly, but it was somewhere between 500 and 1000.

NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Edited by midtskogen - Tuesday, 27.08.2013, 07:47

Forum » SpaceEngine » Off-topic Discussions » Totally off-topic thread (Talk about anything.)
Page 109 of 231«12107108109110111230231»
Search: