Русский New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 106 of 231«12104105106107108230231»
Forum » SpaceEngine » Off-topic Discussions » Totally off-topic thread (Talk about anything.)
Totally off-topic thread
NovaSiliskoDate: Tuesday, 06.08.2013, 23:07 | Message # 1576
Explorer
Group: SE team
United States
Quote (anonymousgamer)
but I just noticed his "old username" is the name of the guy who posted the YouTube video, and he's referring to himself in the 3rd person.

Yes. Calling himself a "math genius" when he's clearly got no idea what he's doing strikes me of unbelievable arrogance...

HarbingerDawnDate: Thursday, 08.08.2013, 01:35 | Message # 1577
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

werdnaforeverDate: Thursday, 08.08.2013, 07:23 | Message # 1578
World Builder
Group: Users
Pirate
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
Aliens

Oh, you...

EDIT:
Quote (Salvo)
It's crazy how you feel 3d effect, you can really have the idea of where the sound is coming from, and it's so natural!

This was really well done.

Edited by werdnaforever - Thursday, 08.08.2013, 16:15

HarbingerDawnDate: Friday, 09.08.2013, 04:44 | Message # 1579
Cosmic Curator
United States
Forget Tesla, THIS is my future transport of choice!

(but I still love Tesla smile )

My SE mods and addons

AerospacefagDate: Friday, 09.08.2013, 16:15 | Message # 1580
Pioneer
Russian Federation
HarbingerDawn, oh, the power of concept development.
The main problem with air cars isn't a technical advancements, but air traffic regulation.
It is not a trivial task to build a flying machine, train a pilot and implement some automatic traficcontrol, but the main problem is the safety system, so that it won't drive itself into a ground or building or another plane. I can, at least, remember a description of mechanical device that can stabilize any small plane, stalling or diving, but it never was in production. Maybe in the future there will be cars capable to hold tight formation in tough conditions and recover from any anomalous flight regime - but there's nothing said in this video obout this problem - even remotely.

Quote (HarbingerDawn)
but I still love Tesla

My collegiate from nearby division made himself an electric-powered motorcycle on basis on regular bicycle, with pair of accumulators strapped to it sides. I'm so tired of traffic jams, that I regularly use my bicycle to go to work - at least until weather allows me to (no more than 4 month in the year). I'd like to have an electric bike too, but it's unaffordable for me. Our roads, weather and aren't good enough for that, even in the city, let alone the culture of driving and overwhelming quantity of cars. I don't think there's a possibility to improve the situation, other that building better roads (which is currently in process, albeit not very promising).

Flying cars? In my childhood 20 years ago there were more regular intercity flights than long-distance buses. People buy cars because it's a luxury, not a transportation device.

Edited by Aerospacefag - Friday, 09.08.2013, 16:17

HarbingerDawnDate: Friday, 09.08.2013, 16:37 | Message # 1581
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (Aerospacefag)
but there's nothing said in this video obout this problem - even remotely.

It's just a technology concept illustration... every time you see a concept that does not address some problem in the system it relates to you say "ah ha! They should have addressed this but they didn't! Clearly they don't have a good understanding of what's going on!". Well, they're not claiming that to. They're illustrating a product design concept that they want to eventually develop into a working vehicle someday. Traffic control has nothing to do with it, and would be someone else's responsibility anyway (ultimately that of governmental and intergovernmental agencies).

Quote (Aerospacefag)
In my childhood 20 years ago there were more regular intercity flights than long-distance buses. People buy cars because it's a luxury, not a transportation device.

You live in Russia, a country with relatively poor road conditions due to climate and other factors, and which spans a vast geographic region, with a very low population density in most of that area. The transportation dynamics in your country are necessarily different from those in most other countries, so it's probably not the most valid comparison to make.

My SE mods and addons

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Friday, 09.08.2013, 16:53 | Message # 1582
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
Pirate
People are terrible enough with regular cars, I don't trust people with a vehicle that has spinning blades and lifts off the ground.

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

HarbingerDawnDate: Friday, 09.08.2013, 17:31 | Message # 1583
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (DoctorOfSpace)
I don't trust people with a vehicle that has spinning blades and lifts off the ground.

Obviously it would have to be mostly or entirely self-piloted, or at least have automated systems to prevent human-error-related accidents (such systems are already beginning to see use on some cars).

My SE mods and addons

Edited by HarbingerDawn - Friday, 09.08.2013, 17:33

DisasterpieceDate: Friday, 09.08.2013, 17:35 | Message # 1584
World Builder
United States
Quote (DoctorOfSpace)
People are terrible enough with regular cars, I don't trust people with a vehicle that has spinning blades and lifts off the ground.

I concur.

I play teh spase engien

HarbingerDawnDate: Friday, 09.08.2013, 17:52 | Message # 1585
Cosmic Curator
United States
...the guy is a witness, records the crime, and just drives away instead of staying? Wow...

My SE mods and addons

midtskogenDate: Friday, 09.08.2013, 19:24 | Message # 1586
Star Engineer
Norway
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
Obviously it would have to be mostly or entirely self-piloted, or at least have automated systems to prevent human-error-related accidents (such systems are already beginning to see use on some cars).

I think fully automated driving for cars will have to become the rule before flying cars become a reality. That is, if that can work, the step into the air wouldn't be that large. Or put another way, if automatically piloted flying cars work large scale, it would be strange if people were still driving manually.

NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

HarbingerDawnDate: Friday, 09.08.2013, 19:43 | Message # 1587
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (midtskogen)
I think fully automated driving for cars will have to become the rule before flying cars become a reality

I agree, at least concerning mass adoption of flying cars. They could be used before that in the same framework as airplanes by people with pilot's licenses. But for it to become a widespread mode of transport automation technology would need to be well developed, and doing it on ground cars is the best place to start.

My SE mods and addons

AerospacefagDate: Friday, 09.08.2013, 19:55 | Message # 1588
Pioneer
Russian Federation
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
Traffic control has nothing to do with it, and would be someone else's responsibility anyway (ultimately that of governmental and intergovernmental agencies).

Well they just said "to hell with you and your flying bricks" and closed most of options to fly around. And you know what, I agree with this, since there's enough dumbasses incidents with crashing into the ground even with them. I remember the novel "Coils" by Zelyazny, in which automatic freighters were introduced, as well as autopilots for helicopters(full-purpose well-designed machines), curiously, we still not at this point by now, not to mention system stability issues.

Quote (HarbingerDawn)
so it's probably not the most valid comparison to make.

I believe, it's still just a matter of funding and innovation, our city mostly was built in second half of XX century and has good infrastructure (although it's quite aged).

Edited by Aerospacefag - Friday, 09.08.2013, 19:58

anonymousgamerDate: Sunday, 11.08.2013, 02:35 | Message # 1589
World Builder
Group: Global Moderators
United States
What do you guys think of this movie coming out?

Desktop: FX-8350 4.0 GHz, 8 GB DDR3 RAM, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW 8 GB, 2 TB HDD, 24 inch 1920x1080 screen
Laptop: Core i5 480M 2.66 GHz (turbo 2.93), 8 GB DDR3 RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6550m 1 GB, 640 GB HDD, 17.3 inch 1600x900 screen

HarbingerDawnDate: Sunday, 11.08.2013, 02:36 | Message # 1590
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (anonymousgamer)
What do you guys think of this movie coming out?

I plan on seeing it.

My SE mods and addons

Forum » SpaceEngine » Off-topic Discussions » Totally off-topic thread (Talk about anything.)
Page 106 of 231«12104105106107108230231»
Search: