Русский New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 100 of 231«129899100101102230231»
Forum » SpaceEngine » Off-topic Discussions » Totally off-topic thread (Talk about anything.)
Totally off-topic thread
werdnaforeverDate: Sunday, 14.07.2013, 17:52 | Message # 1486
World Builder
Group: Users
Pirate
I saw it Friday evening, BTW (I've been busy) and it was just... amazing. amazing.

My only problem is that I felt there wasn't enough tension. But who cares? The visual effects were astonishing. There was good acting, an interesting story, Charlie Day, GladOS (Ellen Mclain), elbow rockets, nuclear reactors, explosions, more explosions, robots, giant, giant robots, monsters getting beaten to a pulp by giant robots, and

Quote (Watsisname)
and spending time out in the Pacific northwest

Watch out for Kaiju.

Edited by werdnaforever - Sunday, 14.07.2013, 17:52

WatsisnameDate: Sunday, 14.07.2013, 21:18 | Message # 1487
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
United States
Did you stay after the credits? The bonus scene was pretty great. biggrin

HarbingerDawnDate: Monday, 15.07.2013, 08:30 | Message # 1488
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

Crashman1390Date: Tuesday, 16.07.2013, 06:34 | Message # 1489
Explorer
Canada
Anyone hear of that new game called: Take On Mars? I heard it will be awesome!

Attachments: 8965682.jpg(247Kb)

[b]I was wrong, this forum still has a horrible community.[/b]

DisasterpieceDate: Thursday, 18.07.2013, 05:57 | Message # 1490
World Builder
United States
I have heard a couple people on the forum say the size of the universe makes them uncomfortable (too lazy to link examples). I would like to hear their reasoning. Mainly because whenever I think about the size of the universe I feel tremendously trapped on Earth. It's pretty and I've lived here my entire life, but it is too small now. It is sad to me that I'll likely never even see LEO, let alone the sun from another star, or the galaxy from outside or another galaxy. There are sextillions of stars and worlds, a number so large I am really just spewing a meaningless word. They each have a story, maybe even life to tell about. While I know I could never see every single one, or even a single one, I wish I could.

So I'm curious, what makes people uncomfortable with the endless expanse of space?

I play teh spase engien

HarbingerDawnDate: Thursday, 18.07.2013, 06:32 | Message # 1491
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Quote (Disasterpiece)
So I'm curious, what makes people uncomfortable with the endless expanse of space?

I don't think there's a single answer to that question. For me, I have no problem with the size of the universe - until I think about it too much detail. But when I really think hard on it, really visualize to the best of my ability the scale of things, I get very uncomfortable thinking about things larger than the scale of our galaxy. It's just beyond what my mind can comfortably assimilate, it's too vast to properly internalize without the sheer immensity of emptiness draining away my emotional foundations. The universe is composed chiefly of nothing, and the larger the scale of your visual simulation is, the more that nothing adds up, until you reach a point where you're looking at things from an intergalactic perspective and you realize that there is practically nothing at all there, except a few microscopic motes of fluff that we call galaxies, and that 99.99999999999999999999999999% is just empty void. It eats away at your soul, so to speak. I find no benefit in visualizing things on such a vast scale anyway, so I keep my attention towards things more local, places that I can feel more connected to. I think of this galaxy as home, and home is the one place where we all feel most comfortable smile

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

DisasterpieceDate: Thursday, 18.07.2013, 06:46 | Message # 1492
World Builder
United States
I see that point, so I guess it is just me who find a vacuum one of the most beautiful things in the universe. Objects have their beauty in symmetry or lack thereof but a vacuum has its beauty in how perfect it is. I'm going to stop talking about how I find everything not man-made to be beautiful because it is way too late for me to be up.

I play teh spase engien

midtskogenDate: Thursday, 18.07.2013, 14:13 | Message # 1493
Star Engineer
Norway
Posted from Norway's second highest peak. Zero visibility of course...

NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

SalvoDate: Thursday, 18.07.2013, 21:17 | Message # 1494
Star Engineer
Group: Local Moderators
Italy
English speackers, i need your help biggrin

The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: ASUS Radeon R9 270 RAM: 8 GBs

(still don't know why everyone is doing this...)

DisasterpieceDate: Thursday, 18.07.2013, 21:32 | Message # 1495
World Builder
United States
Salvo, open the spoiler.

Someone else may want to take a look at my corrections. Even the greatest grammar nazi can make mistakes.

I play teh spase engien

Edited by Disasterpiece - Thursday, 18.07.2013, 21:33

SalvoDate: Thursday, 18.07.2013, 21:41 | Message # 1496
Star Engineer
Italy
Thanks Disasterpiece wink
I just read previous messages, i feel more or less like you, but i don't feel to be trapped on Earth, i feel like a disabled person who can't go outside from his home and walk freely into the outside world, i know what there is out there, but i can't reach it, not because is physically impossible, but because it requires an ability that we don't have yet...

Anyway, i don't feel too bad here, i have a bed, breathable air, water, food, friends, pus... emh anything i want, things that are much harder to find out there biggrin

Edited by Salvo - Thursday, 18.07.2013, 21:57

werdnaforeverDate: Friday, 19.07.2013, 00:54 | Message # 1497
World Builder
Pirate
Quote (Watsisname)
Did you stay after the credits? The bonus scene was pretty great

No... unfortunately. I heard about that scene- at least I know what happened to him know now. EDIT: What an awful typo I made there

Added (19.07.2013, 03:54)
---------------------------------------------
Quote (Disasterpiece)
I have heard a couple people on the forum say the size of the universe makes them uncomfortable (too lazy to link examples). I would like to hear their reasoning. Mainly because whenever I think about the size of the universe I feel tremendously trapped on Earth. It's pretty and I've lived here my entire life, but it is too small now. It is sad to me that I'll likely never even see LEO, let alone the sun from another star, or the galaxy from outside or another galaxy. There are sextillions of stars and worlds, a number so large I am really just spewing a meaningless word. They each have a story, maybe even life to tell about. While I know I could never see every single one, or even a single one, I wish I could.

Quote (HarbingerDawn)
I don't think there's a single answer to that question. For me, I have no problem with the size of the universe - until I think about it too much detail. But when I really think hard on it, really visualize to the best of my ability the scale of things, I get very uncomfortable thinking about things larger than the scale of our galaxy. It's just beyond what my mind can comfortably assimilate, it's too vast to properly internalize without the sheer immensity of emptiness draining away my emotional foundations. The universe is composed chiefly of nothing, and the larger the scale of your visual simulation is, the more that nothing adds up, until you reach a point where you're looking at things from an intergalactic perspective and you realize that there is practically nothing at all there, except a few microscopic motes of fluff that we call galaxies, and that 99.99999999999999999999999999% is just empty void. It eats away at your soul, so to speak. I find no benefit in visualizing things on such a vast scale anyway, so I keep my attention towards things more local, places that I can feel more connected to. I think of this galaxy as home, and home is the one place where we all feel most comfortable smile

I actually like to think about the vastness of the universe. When I see all the problems we're having in our civilization, and the problems I face in my own life, sometimes I think about the billions of lightyears of space out there and realize the triviality of everything here. Any claims of importance are immediately invalidated against this, when you think about it. So then I think to myself "so here I am in this gigantic, indifferent cosmos, and I have at most nine decades left. I may as well just enjoy this little life while it lasts."

We're still at the start of a new century full of technological progress. As overly optimistic as it sounds, I can't discount the possibility that I might actually be able to travel to another star, or another galaxy, if we end up in some kind of mature, advanced civilization (provided those problems are actually solved sometime soon). I'm not saying I think it will happen, just that I can't say it won't. It's probably more likely that we will end up as a resource depleted anti-intellectualized civilization in total decline. Either way, it's no big deal... nothing is!

Perhaps that last sentence has some problems, but... whatever
smile

Edited by werdnaforever - Friday, 19.07.2013, 00:56

WatsisnameDate: Friday, 19.07.2013, 06:38 | Message # 1498
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
United States
Finished my road trip (first half of it, anyway)! smile Ended up driving through 13 states including starting and ending ones.

I think my favorite state to drive through was Washington for the richness and variety of scenery, but my most recommended place altogether has to be the Badlands in South Dakota. It's an absolutely crazy landscape that doesn't look like it belongs on this planet. Actually, it reminds me very much of something right out of Space Engine! I may post a few photos later.

So far no Kaiju, but am keeping alert! :U

SalvoDate: Friday, 19.07.2013, 09:43 | Message # 1499
Star Engineer
Italy
Quote (Watsisname)
road trip (first half of it, anyway)! smile Ended up driving through 13 states including starting and ending ones.

Awesome, I always desired to do something like that *_*
(maybe on latin america)

DisasterpieceDate: Saturday, 20.07.2013, 07:17 | Message # 1500
World Builder
United States
Quote (werdnaforever)
Either way, it's no big deal... nothing is!

Werdna's moral voice-"You need to work harder, you can change the world."

Werdna's Voice-"It doesn't even matter what anyone does. We have basically zero effect on anything and then we die."

Checkmate, Moral Voice.

I play teh spase engien

Forum » SpaceEngine » Off-topic Discussions » Totally off-topic thread (Talk about anything.)
Page 100 of 231«129899100101102230231»
Search: