Русский New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 31 of 41«1229303132334041»
Forum » SpaceEngine » Science and Astronomy Discussions » Astrophotography (Post your astrophotos here)
Astrophotography
WatsisnameDate: Monday, 23.02.2015, 22:45 | Message # 451
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
United States
I'd gone out this morning to shoot the Milky Way rising above a nearby mountain, when suddenly a bright auroral display exploded over the horizon. What a bonus! I've been wanting to see these for years, and I was literally moved to tears. The whole display lasted about 15 minutes and came at a time of minimal geomagnetic activity.

FastFourierTransformDate: Monday, 23.02.2015, 23:08 | Message # 452
Pioneer
Group: Local Moderators
Spain
Amazing! cry

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Monday, 23.02.2015, 23:21 | Message # 453
Galaxy Architect
Pirate
I wish I had a proper response to those images but I am at a loss for words surprised

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

midtskogenDate: Tuesday, 24.02.2015, 00:33 | Message # 454
Star Engineer
Group: Users
Norway
Wow! Great shots. A pity with that aurora spoiling the view of the Milky Way. wink

NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Rhysy27Date: Tuesday, 24.02.2015, 08:27 | Message # 455
Space Tourist
United Kingdom
These are great shots! I wanna see the aurora one day but I'd need to do a bit of travelling. May I ask what camera and lens you used to capture these shots?

"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

FireintheholeDate: Tuesday, 24.02.2015, 09:33 | Message # 456
Pioneer
Group: Translators
Sweden
Outstanding! It's not very often you can see both the Milky Way Centre and auroras at the same time smile

Love SpaceEngine!

WatsisnameDate: Tuesday, 24.02.2015, 10:19 | Message # 457
Galaxy Architect
United States
Thanks everybody! I feel very lucky to have been able to see an event like that, and already set up with a camera no less!

Equipment was a Canon Rebel T3 with a Rokinon 16mm f/2.0 lens. And technique couldn't be simpler: Place on tripod, focus at infinity, and take 20s exposures at ISO 1600 or 3200. Out comes magic. Beyond that there's very little editing besides a bit of levels adjustment and noise reduction, or panoramic stitching.

Only the last shot was more involved: it's a composite of separately aligned image stacks to improve signal-to-noise of the sky without introducing rotation blur to the foreground. I also enhanced the Milky Way a bit further with a layer mask.

HarbingerDawnDate: Tuesday, 24.02.2015, 14:20 | Message # 458
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Quote Watsisname ()
take 20s exposures at ISO 1600 or 3200

I wish I had dark enough skies to shoot exposures like that.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

Rhysy27Date: Tuesday, 03.03.2015, 18:55 | Message # 459
Space Tourist
United Kingdom
Went out to a location known as the Bedruthan Steps on two separate occations in recent times. The first trip was back in the middle of February which yielded the following:

The second outing was last night but unfortunately cloud rushed over all night so I couldn't take any shots. So instead of making this a wasted journey my friends and I decided to have a bit of fun with the lights and such that we had with us.

Running around with some of the lights. Take note that the distance from the camera to the rock was probably around 100 meters so I had 10 seconds (timer) to dash over to get involved, felt like Usain Bolt biggrin

Then Henry tried writing his name with his light source and did pretty well. This was done with one of those toy lightsabers. He's an odd one I know wink

Then we tried posing to some degree. Ed and Rachael decided to shine their torches in the camera's direction.

There was one weird picture from all of them though. At one point Henry decided to go over and shine a laser pen toward our direction and the following image was made:

Toward the top-middle of the image you can see an eye? Now I'm guessing it's not a ghost wink But we were stood behind the camera whilst Henry was holding the laser out in front of him so I'm stumped as to how that managed to get in there. Anyone got any ideas?

"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

WatsisnameDate: Friday, 06.03.2015, 03:57 | Message # 460
Galaxy Architect
United States
Light painting is one of the coolest things.

As for the ephemeral eyeball, you got me! I'm guessing it's a form of lens flare effect, but I sure don't understand the underlying geometry.

vanguardmookDate: Friday, 06.03.2015, 09:53 | Message # 461
Observer
Group: Newbies
Pirate
The eye is most certainly a subliminal message from the illuminati. I would advise against examining it too closely.

In all seriousness, I found exactly one example of this effect on the internet in this image, if you look at the guy's chin. It's not quite as eye-like as the one in Rhysy27's image, though. Spooky indeed.

Edited by vanguardmook - Friday, 06.03.2015, 09:55

WatsisnameDate: Friday, 06.03.2015, 12:16 | Message # 462
Galaxy Architect
United States
Actually that image helps make it very clear as to what's going on. smile It's simple Illuminati shenanigans internal reflection, appearing on the opposite side of the lens axis as the light source. It would look circular if it was centered, but being off axis reduces it to the Illuminati symbol eye-like shape. You an see a large/faint one in your 4th image, too.

Antza2Date: Saturday, 14.03.2015, 10:46 | Message # 463
World Builder
Finland
My attempt at taking a photo of Jupiters moons.

Also tried taking astrophotos with my macro lens. Every picture has around 8 second exposure.

Attachments: 1131403.jpg(140Kb)

Go to antza2.deviantart.com for cool photos!

WatsisnameDate: Saturday, 14.03.2015, 19:06 | Message # 464
Galaxy Architect
United States
Wow! Very nice results with that lens. smile Stars and nebulosity look great, and you can even see some color to the North America Nebula / NGC7000.

Rhysy27Date: Saturday, 21.03.2015, 19:01 | Message # 465
Space Tourist
United Kingdom
Went on an all nighter adventure the other night! Got this first image from a chap's garden that I met some time ago:

Then the morning after was the solar eclipse so luckily the weather was clear down here in Cornwall (which is quite ironic really) so I managed to get some shots, this was when it was at its maximum:

Needless to say I then slept for most of the day after losing so much sleep!

Forum » SpaceEngine » Science and Astronomy Discussions » Astrophotography (Post your astrophotos here)
Page 31 of 41«1229303132334041»
Search: