[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 1 of 11
Forum » SpaceEngine » Science and Astronomy Discussions » Makemake Has a Moon
Makemake Has a Moon
HandbananaDate: Wednesday, 27.04.2016, 11:52 | Message # 1
Astronaut
Group: Users
United States
Hubble just detected an orbital companion around Makemake.

Peering to the outskirts of our solar system, NASA's Hubble Space Telescope has spotted a small, dark moon orbiting Makemake, the second brightest icy dwarf planet — after Pluto — in the Kuiper Belt.

The moon — provisionally designated S/2015 (136472) 1 and nicknamed MK 2 — is more than 1,300 times fainter than Makemake. MK 2 was seen approximately 13,000 miles from the dwarf planet, and its diameter is estimated to be 100 miles across. Makemake is 870 miles wide. The dwarf planet, discovered in 2005, is named for a creation deity of the Rapa Nui people of Easter Island.

http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/archive/releases/2016/18/full/

Tonight... you.

Edited by Handbanana - Wednesday, 27.04.2016, 11:54

HornblowerDate: Wednesday, 27.04.2016, 11:57 | Message # 2
World Builder
United States
If MK 2 will be implemented in the future, we should wait until has a proper name and until we know more about its orbit. We know almost nothing about its orbital period or mass. I heard about this yesterday, but I am out of a computer for the week. This is exiting. Anyone thinking of potential names?

steeljaw354Date: Thursday, 28.04.2016, 12:19 | Message # 3
World Builder
Pirate
I think it should be named Tangata or Manu becuase https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tangata_manu is a mythological figure from the same tribe that has a figure called Makemake.

LookAtDatDakkaDate: Thursday, 28.04.2016, 21:19 | Message # 4
Explorer
United States
Quote steeljaw354 ()
I think it should be named Tangata or Manu becuase Tangata Manu is a mythological figure from the same tribe that has a figure called Makemake.

I probaly agreed with you, but we'll never know.

NVIDIA 960 GTX 2048MB

SpaceEngineerDate: Friday, 29.04.2016, 10:58 | Message # 5
Author of Space Engine
Group: Administrators
Russian Federation
It's orbit most probably is circular and have zero inclination in relation to Makemake's equator. Further observation could give us a value of it's inclination in relation to view direction (thus obliquity of Makemake's rotation axis) and period (thus mass of the planet+moon system).

SiliconDate: Thursday, 05.05.2016, 02:44 | Message # 6
Astronaut
United States
Quote LookAtDatDakka ()

I probaly agreed with you, but we'll never know.

We'll never know what? The name of Makemake's moon? Yeah we will, it will probably get one in a few years.

Forum » SpaceEngine » Science and Astronomy Discussions » Makemake Has a Moon
Page 1 of 11
Search: