RUS New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 1 of 3123»
Forum » SpaceEngine » Science and Astronomy Discussions » Main Sequence Star Surrounded by Material Closely Orbiting (Normally only found around young stars)
Main Sequence Star Surrounded by Material Closely Orbiting
HandbananaDate: Friday, 16.10.2015, 02:02 | Message # 1
Astronaut
Group: Users
United States
http://www.theatlantic.com/science....3

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KIC_8462852

The light pattern suggests there is a big mess of matter circling the star, in tight formation. That would be expected if the star were young. When our solar system first formed, four and a half billion years ago, a messy disk of dust and debris surrounded the sun, before gravity organized it into planets, and rings of rock and ice.

But this unusual star isn’t young. If it were young, it would be surrounded by dust that would give off extra infrared light. There doesn’t seem to be an excess of infrared light around this star.

It appears to be mature.

And yet, there is this mess of objects circling it. A mess big enough to block a substantial number of photons that would have otherwise beamed into the tube of the Kepler Space Telescope. If blind nature deposited this mess around the star, it must have done so recently. Otherwise, it would be gone by now. Gravity would have consolidated it, or it would have been sucked into the star and swallowed, after a brief fiery splash.

Tonight... you.

WatsisnameDate: Friday, 16.10.2015, 02:34 | Message # 2
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
United States
Yep, this system's really been hot in the popular science reporting as of late. Phil Plait made a pretty good blog article about it.

parameciumkidDate: Friday, 16.10.2015, 23:17 | Message # 3
Explorer
United States
Ahh yes, the purported alien megastructure.
I won't say I have any real reason, but I hope they do find out it's something artificial, because I'm tired of being trodden upon by the Fermi paradox. Surely there's an advanced civilization somewhere out there.

Intel HD Graphics 4000 ;P

WatsisnameDate: Saturday, 17.10.2015, 01:06 | Message # 4
Galaxy Architect
United States
If it is demonstrated beyond reasonable doubt to be an alien construction, what do you (all of you) suppose would be the impact of this news on our species?

HandbananaDate: Saturday, 17.10.2015, 03:50 | Message # 5
Astronaut
United States
Quote Watsisname ()
If it is demonstrated beyond reasonable doubt to be an alien construction, what do you (all of you) suppose would be the impact of this news on our species?

Not good.

I don't think we really have any business traveling into interstellar space until we've solved our own major conflicts.

Thankfully, this doesn't appear to likely be an artificial construct, and interstellar travel is all but impossible at the current moment.

Tonight... you.

JackDoleDate: Saturday, 17.10.2015, 12:48 | Message # 6
Star Engineer
Group: Local Moderators
Germany
Quote Watsisname ()

It will certainly generate a lot of hysteria, but apart from that, it will force us more time and money to invest in the space program, because after all, the evil aliens could invade us any time now.
But joking aside, I think that all our problems on earth only exist, because we are trapped here. Many creatures on narrow space has always led to murder and manslaughter. When we turn to other targets, this problem will disappear by itself. In addition, a forced space program might save us when the next planet killer asteroid comes. And it comes for sure.
Simply put: Without an advanced aerospace technology, mankind will not survive. Then, however, all our problems are solved here on Earth.

Don't forget to look here.

JadestarDate: Saturday, 17.10.2015, 17:15 | Message # 7
Astronaut
United States
Quote Watsisname ()

It would be big news for about a week then the average person would say "meh, its almost 1,500 light years away, the aliens who built it might have died out ages ago and we can't get there in a human lifetime even if we could travel at the speed of light so why should I care?"

And they'd go back to the stuff they're doing now.

For scientists and science interested people like us it would be the discovery of the millennium.

The jury is still out until better data is collected.

Here's the relevant paper: http://www2.astro.psu.edu/~jtwright/Dyson/GHAT4.pdf

midtskogenDate: Saturday, 17.10.2015, 20:43 | Message # 8
Star Engineer
Norway
Quote Watsisname ()

Probably not a lot. It would surely spark a lot of scientific investigations, and inspire sci-fi writers, but life would go on as normal. Many would just shrug. Some would think it's nonsense.

The evidence would have to be more than just a strangely variable star. The impact would of course depend on what the proof is. I'm assuming that the proof would be more of the kind "radio source emitting primes, nothing more" than "a wormhole appearing in Earth orbit".

NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Saturday, 17.10.2015, 20:45 | Message # 9
Galaxy Architect
Pirate
The only way the announcement of extraterrestrial life would make a huge difference in our society would be if a mothership was parked in orbit or right above a major city. Any other situation pretty much leads to the Moon landing scenario, some people say it is amazing, some say it is fake, and the majority say "neat" and go on about their normal everyday business.

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

JackDoleDate: Saturday, 17.10.2015, 21:13 | Message # 10
Star Engineer
Group: Local Moderators
Germany
I think knowing really knowing we are not alone in the universe, would have a certain impact on our society. The question is of course how far we believe absolutely indisputable proof.

Don't forget to look here.

JadestarDate: Sunday, 18.10.2015, 03:48 | Message # 11
Astronaut
United States
One thing that struck me through all of this was a lot of people focused on the idea that if this is artificial it would be a Dyson Swarm turned inward to collect energy from the star.

But something is wrong with that idea. It appears the objects which are transiting the star are further out than where one might assume a Dyson Swarm to be.

So my alternative theory is that rather than turned inward it's actually turned outward. It could be a giant telescope. A massive multi-spectral space interferometer. wink

Edited by Jadestar - Sunday, 18.10.2015, 03:49

leoskiniDate: Sunday, 18.10.2015, 10:57 | Message # 12
Observer
Group: Newbies
France
Hm, first of all, hello everybody. As you can see I just signed up.

I'd like to contribute by quoting a book. I personally do not believe in aliens (or at least not in the way they are portrayed in popular knoweldge, but who does?) but i believe that chinese sci-fi author proposed an interesting solution to Fermi paradox in his book "a dark forest" (second book of a trilogy).

To be short, in the book is given for granted that biological life develop complicated lifeforms quite often, so the numbers of civilizations in the galaxy is constantly increasing, but the matter in the galaxy stay constant. So the civilization's natural status is the competition, and even civilization whose culture is more oriented toward collaboration can't possibly know if a alien civilization they encounter is more collaborative or more competitive.
Also, the big distances in the space and the speed of the technology research make impossible for a more technologically advanced civilization to know if a less technologically advanced civilization develop the technology to destroy them just in the time needed to contact them.
The result is that every civilization seeks not to be visible to the others, by making is presence as less noticeable as possible, and to immediately kill any civilization that make is presence noticeable to others.

I'm not quite into scientific (or in that case almost para-scientific) stuff, but it looks to me a quite original way to solve the paradox.

Also, what's the difference between a Dyson sphere and a dyson swarm? if any?

I also apologize for my english, it gets rather confusing when I have to do anything more complicated than order a drink.

Edited by leoskini - Sunday, 18.10.2015, 10:59

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Sunday, 18.10.2015, 14:48 | Message # 13
Galaxy Architect
Pirate
Quote leoskini ()
what's the difference between a Dyson sphere and a dyson swarm? if any?

A classical Dyson sphere would be an uneconomical solid shell built around a star, this is highly improbable.

This Celestia addon is a solid Dyson sphere

A Dyson swarm is a cloud of satellites either linked or unlinked designed to capture solar energy. A Dyson swarm can be a ring or a sphere depending on how many devices are around the star.

A swarm sphere would be more like

EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

leoskiniDate: Sunday, 18.10.2015, 15:09 | Message # 14
Observer
Group: Newbies
France
well thanks... haven't Newtown theorized that a empty shell would not stay in orbit around a center of mass anyway?

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Sunday, 18.10.2015, 15:20 | Message # 15
Galaxy Architect
Pirate
This video covers the subject fairly well

EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

Forum » SpaceEngine » Science and Astronomy Discussions » Main Sequence Star Surrounded by Material Closely Orbiting (Normally only found around young stars)
Page 1 of 3123»
Search: