Русский New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 2 of 5«12345»
Forum » SpaceEngine » Science and Astronomy Discussions » 2015 solar eclipse (Discussions, photos, etc of the 2015 total solar sclipse)
2015 solar eclipse
DoctorOfSpaceDate: Friday, 13.03.2015, 19:01 | Message # 16
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
Pirate
Its a little over a thousand miles away but not outside the realm of possibility. Hard to say where one will be in the next 2 years though, hopefully I can make plans for that one.

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

midtskogenDate: Monday, 16.03.2015, 10:48 | Message # 17
Star Engineer
Group: Users
Norway
Quote Watsisname ()
They're relatively rare and cover such a small area that any given place on Earth is unlikely to receive one in a 100-year span.

IIRC, I read somewhere that a given place can expect one totality every 370 years on average. The number of years between each time will vary a lot, of course.

The next eclipse in Norway will be in 2061, but again only visible from Svalbard. So only 46 years for Longyearbyen.

The weather forecast is still promising, but the 20th might have a change of weather. The inland end of the road still has the best forecast [updated].

The models agree very well up to the time of the eclipse, then they start to diverge...

The latest issue of local weekly newspaper Svalbardposten interviewed some 4 and 5 year old kids about the sun. The journalist asked whether they knew why the sun is gone for so long during the winter. The reply was a good one: "Perhaps because the sun doesn't like being here when it's so dark all the time!"

Added (16.03.2015, 09:48)
---------------------------------------------
Live weather camera nearby Longyearbyen: http://kho.unis.no/kho_Weather_Station.htm
Weather data from the same location: http://breinosavaerpc.unis.no/

This is currently the best place [accessible by road] to be according to the weather forecasts. A bad storm (winds reaching 36 m/s) has just passed shutting down the airport and leaving large parts of the town without electricity last night, but from now the weather will only improve until the eclipse. smile

My plan A is that the weather will be nice everywhere and I'll be relatively close to town. My current plan B is to drive to this place (a 25km drive or so).

Attachments: 6452759.png(42Kb) · 5277090.png(38Kb)

NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Edited by midtskogen - Monday, 16.03.2015, 10:57

AvanakDate: Tuesday, 17.03.2015, 13:53 | Message # 18
Observer
Group: Newbies
Netherlands
I live in the Netherlands so we should have an 80% eclipse, but the weather forecast is coulds and rain sad

FireintheholeDate: Thursday, 19.03.2015, 08:00 | Message # 19
Pioneer
Group: Translators
Sweden
Quote Avanak ()
I live in the Netherlands so we should have an 80% eclipse, but the weather forecast is coulds and rain

Same in Sweden, and SNOW! angry2

Love SpaceEngine!

steinarmidtskogenDate: Thursday, 19.03.2015, 17:09 | Message # 20
Observer
Group: Newbies
Pirate
I've just arrived at the best place for tomorrow's event. Clear sky, -21C. Lets hope it stays like that for 17 more hours...

$IMAGE1$

Edited by steinarmidtskogen - Thursday, 19.03.2015, 17:10

FireintheholeDate: Thursday, 19.03.2015, 17:33 | Message # 21
Pioneer
Sweden
steinarmidtskogen, hope you get to take some good shots smile

Love SpaceEngine!

WatsisnameDate: Thursday, 19.03.2015, 18:04 | Message # 22
Galaxy Architect
United States
Midtskogen, good luck up there!

SolarLinerDate: Thursday, 19.03.2015, 19:46 | Message # 23
Explorer
France
Watsisname, can you give te name of the app used here? It seems quite useful.

midtskogen, where did you find this data? Is it available worldwide?

custom landing page to share: http://bit.ly/spaceengine

midtskogenDate: Thursday, 19.03.2015, 20:27 | Message # 24
Star Engineer
Norway
SolarLiner,

You can get worldwide weather forecasts on yr.no. The accuracy is best for Norway (and Svalbard), though.

NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

FireintheholeDate: Thursday, 19.03.2015, 21:19 | Message # 25
Pioneer
Sweden
Is there anyone at the North Pole who will study the eclipse from there? Must be spectacular seeng the sun just rising above the horizon being eclipsed.

Love SpaceEngine!

WatsisnameDate: Thursday, 19.03.2015, 21:25 | Message # 26
Galaxy Architect
United States
Quote SolarLiner ()
Watsisname, can you give te name of the app used here? It seems quite useful.

Sure, it's called Occult (for occultation predictions) and is available here. Pretty handy program.

Be aware that some of the object catalogs are quite large (it'll tell you which ones they are), and so during the initial setup you may want to skip downloading them unless you have a very fast connection.

midtskogenDate: Thursday, 19.03.2015, 21:35 | Message # 27
Star Engineer
Norway
I got a car so we have some mobility.

EDIT: Uploading from my phone didn't work, so here's the pic I tried to post earlier:

12 hours to go!

Attachments: 7100295.jpg(183Kb) · 7598327.jpg(42Kb)

NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Edited by midtskogen - Thursday, 19.03.2015, 21:52

WatsisnameDate: Thursday, 19.03.2015, 22:12 | Message # 28
Galaxy Architect
United States
Impressive frozen desolation.

How's the turnout? See a lot of other eclipse chasers in Longyearbyen? Also, a friend suggests to be alert for shadow bands during the few minutes before and after totality. They're one of the less commonly seen eclipse phenomena. You might be able to notice them on the side of your vehicle, or possibly on the ice itself.

midtskogenDate: Thursday, 19.03.2015, 22:35 | Message # 29
Star Engineer
Norway
Lots of nerds here. There were warm-up lectures at the university building this evening with many prominent eclipse nerds. There were several hundred present in the auditorium, but the town's population of nearly 2000 is likely doubled now. Already at the airport in Oslo we saw an Italian group taking group pictures with their own eclipse expedition banner. But the streets here are surprisingly empty. Perhaps too cold. Some people also show up here pretty unprepared with insufficient clothing and without any place to sleep. Hopefully someone will accommodate them. All hotels were booked 8 years ago. We're staying in a private home.

This morning a tourist was injured in a polar bear attack about 30 km from here. The bear was shot, injured and chased away and later killed by the police. They were camping and only had a trip wire, but no bear watch.

We're luckily sleeping in a warm house in the town centre. And we have my father's German WWII rifle for the field tomorrow.

ADDED: news story

NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Edited by midtskogen - Thursday, 19.03.2015, 22:48

WatsisnameDate: Friday, 20.03.2015, 09:06 | Message # 30
Galaxy Architect
United States
First contact in 5 minutes for Longyearbyen, totality in 65. Live feed is now up and it looks like a good view of the Sun. smile

Forum » SpaceEngine » Science and Astronomy Discussions » 2015 solar eclipse (Discussions, photos, etc of the 2015 total solar sclipse)
Page 2 of 5«12345»
Search: