Русский New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 30 of 64«1228293031326364»
Forum » SpaceEngine » Science and Astronomy Discussions » Science and Astronomy Questions
Science and Astronomy Questions
cah9tlanDate: Tuesday, 01.03.2016, 17:37 | Message # 436
Observer
Group: Users
Pirate
Hi, guys!
I've just tried to recreate Solar eclipse of August 1, 2008. But it hits Heck knows where like Africa or something. It's hard to orient oneself without basic navtools, but it definitely doesn't look like wiki gif where it's mostly Russia.

Check it out:

Another approximation or am I doing something wrong?

HarbingerDawnDate: Tuesday, 01.03.2016, 18:06 | Message # 437
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
cah9tlan, SE uses simple Keplerian orbits for objects, which are not accurate enough to show eclipses properly.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

YantraDate: Tuesday, 01.03.2016, 20:07 | Message # 438
Observer
Peru
Quote Watsisname ()
This is normal -- they are tidally locked or "synchronously rotating" planets. Think of the Moon orbiting the Earth, always presenting the same side to us. It is spinning at the same rate that it orbits. This is a common result of the tidal evolution of moons orbiting planets, and of planets orbiting close to stars.

You see it a lot for planets around low mass stars because then the system is more compact and the habitable zone planets tend to get tidally locked fairly quickly (the time to become tidally locked increases quickly with orbital distance). SE calculates this with a formula when generating them.

Oh, that's awesome. Thanks so much for clarifying that. I also noticed that some star systems are missing, such as Kepler-452. Do you know if they will be added in future releases? (I'm currently using SE 0.973 as it is the official one on the download page).

WatsisnameDate: Wednesday, 02.03.2016, 02:23 | Message # 439
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
United States
Sure thing. smile And yeah, not all known exoplanets or systems are in SE. They must be added manually or by catalog.

cah9tlanDate: Wednesday, 02.03.2016, 03:48 | Message # 440
Observer
Pirate
HarbingerDawn,
Thanks. Could you depict that inaccuracy? Is it growing with the time flowing or error is constant within some fluctuations ? I'm just asking to know what kind of observations can one make with Earth and SE, like planets line-up somewhere in the middle of B.C.E.

ps. Don't overthink it too much. If it's anyone's guess so let it be .

Edited by cah9tlan - Wednesday, 02.03.2016, 07:43

JackDoleDate: Wednesday, 02.03.2016, 12:52 | Message # 441
Star Engineer
Group: Local Moderators
Germany
Yantra,
you can download scripts for 'Kepler-452' here.

In SE 0.974, the system is included.

Don't forget to look here.

Edited by JackDole - Wednesday, 02.03.2016, 12:54

midtskogenDate: Wednesday, 02.03.2016, 20:52 | Message # 442
Star Engineer
Norway
I saw the 2008-08-01 eclipse, 93% eclipsed, and it was surely not in Africa!

Attachments: 8050438.jpg(35Kb) · 9941978.jpg(109Kb)

NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Edited by midtskogen - Wednesday, 02.03.2016, 20:55

YantraDate: Thursday, 03.03.2016, 14:26 | Message # 443
Observer
Peru
Quote Watsisname ()
Sure thing. And yeah, not all known exoplanets or systems are in SE. They must be added manually or by catalog.

Thanks. Another question: the color of the planets in SE are merely randomly selected by the program procedural script or do they respond to spectrographic/chemical principles? Because, I have seen indicators of astrophysical dynamics such as gravity, pressure, size, temperature, etc., but nothing mentioning atmospheric chemical composition or chemical element percentages on any world I visited so far...

Also, regarding setting the time: the clock on the lower left pane can be set to any time, right? Then again, it doesn't specifies if it is "Eastern Time", "Western Time", "GMT +/-", so when I put my current time there I do not know what time exactly I am seeing. Is there any way to set the specific timezone or, at least, have a reference as to which time is it?

Added (03.03.2016, 14:26)
---------------------------------------------
Quote JackDole ()
Yantra,
you can download scripts for 'Kepler-452' here.

In SE 0.974, the system is included.

Thanks, JackDole. I haven't installed 0.974 because it did not appear on the main download page so I assumed the designer isn't considering it, yet, an stable BETA of sorts. Besides, despite hearing it mentioned here and there on the forums, I haven't seen an actual download page for 0.974 anywhere so far.

Edited by Yantra - Thursday, 03.03.2016, 14:28

JackDoleDate: Thursday, 03.03.2016, 15:08 | Message # 444
Star Engineer
Germany
Quote Yantra ()
I haven't seen an actual download page for 0.974 anywhere so far.

You can download it here.

cah9tlanDate: Friday, 04.03.2016, 13:36 | Message # 445
Observer
Pirate
HarbingerDawn,
Quote Yantra ()
Is there any way to set the specific timezone or, at least, have a reference as to which time is it?

I guess us newbies are to answer our own questions wink The time zone is Greenwich everywhere a.k.a. GMT+0. Source: It was mentioned in the description of certain time option in *.cfg.

As for
Is there any way to set the specific timezone
. Obviously as I understood SE has some bigger fish to fry .

YantraDate: Friday, 04.03.2016, 15:22 | Message # 446
Observer
Peru
Quote cah9tlan ()
I guess us newbies are to answer our own questions The time zone is Greenwich everywhere a.k.a. GMT+0. Source: It was mentioned in the description of certain time option in *.cfg.

Oh, thanks. I just wanted to be sure because I assumed that, perhaps, the time was aligned with the timezone of the programmer. Silly of me to never think it was GMT +0.

JackDoleDate: Friday, 04.03.2016, 17:14 | Message # 447
Star Engineer
Germany
Quote Yantra ()
Is there any way to set the specific timezone or, at least, have a reference as to which time is it?

If you have AutoHotkey installed on your computer, you can use this script to set the current local time.

With the 'Shift 9' keys the console opens; the command 'Time' with the current local date and time will be written and executed; and the console is closed.

Code
; -*- coding: utf-8 -*-
; SETime.ahk
;---------------------------------------
; Shift 9 key = Set current time
;---------------------------------------
; Ctrl Alt R = Reload this script
; Made by JackDole

;    !: ALT
;    +: SHIFT
;    ^: CONTROL
;    #: WIN

#NoEnv  
#KeyHistory 0
#SingleInstance force
SetKeyDelay, 50
ListLines, off

WinTitle = SpaceEngine
GroupAdd, GameWindow, %WinTitle%

#IfWinExist, ahk_group GameWindow
#IfWinActive, ahk_group GameWindow
{
    ;-----------------------Some Commands Shift ( 0 - 9 ) key-------------------
    +9::
        FormatTime jetzt, A_Now, yyyy.MM.dd HH:mm:ss
        SendEvent {~}{}break{enter}Time %jetzt%{enter}{ESC}
    return
    ;-----------------------Reload with Ctrl-Alt r if you have made changes ----
    ^!r::Reload
}

YantraDate: Monday, 14.03.2016, 10:13 | Message # 448
Observer
Peru
@JackDole: Thanks for all the help. I installed the latest version of SpaceEngine and I have noticed a lot of improvement (along with the brand new specification of atmospheric composition, which is awesome). In this regard, are there plans for making a similar listing for planetary crust/mineral composition? It would be awesome if we could know what's the most abundant component of the ground in a given planet as well as the composition of it's main oceans/seas/water bodies.

Also, I have readed somewhere (can't remember where) that version 0.974 already included plant life (thought I can't remember if it was only on certain planets or I am making this up in my head entirely).

In another note, can anybody explain me how the Greenhouse Effect works? I see it affects the temperature of the planet, but I don't know if the measure means the amount of heat the planet retains due it's gases or the amount of heat that is shielded from entering the planet due wavelenght reflection. Can anybody enlighten this noob, please? Thanks in advance and sorry for the trouble.

Wicker1MDate: Monday, 14.03.2016, 18:34 | Message # 449
Astronaut
United States
How come most inhabited terras in Space Engine have primarily CO2 and SO2 atmospheres? Wouldn't plant life on these terras create more O2 in the atmosphere?
Or do the plant based life forms on these terras not use chlorophyll the way Earth-based plant life does?

JackDoleDate: Monday, 14.03.2016, 21:04 | Message # 450
Star Engineer
Germany
Quote Yantra ()
Also, I have readed somewhere (can't remember where) that version 0.974 already included plant life

Plant life has long been implemented in SpaceEngine, in so far that planet with life differ in color from planets without life.

With life:

Without life:

Attachments: 2784364.jpg(293Kb) · 0083685.jpg(310Kb)

Forum » SpaceEngine » Science and Astronomy Discussions » Science and Astronomy Questions
Page 30 of 64«1228293031326364»
Search: