Русский New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 18 of 18«12161718
Forum » SpaceEngine » Science and Astronomy Discussions » Asteroids, meteors, and meteorites (Everything related to space rocks.)
Asteroids, meteors, and meteorites
WatsisnameDate: Monday, 10.10.2016, 05:53 | Message # 256
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
United States
Quote steeljaw354 ()
What would be the best asteroid to live on that doesn't orbit a planet? And isn't round?

128 Nemesis. Because who wouldn't want to live on an asteroid named Nemesis?

Quote spacer ()
in few years i might want some too. how and from where you can buy meteorites pieces?

Oh gosh, there are tons of meteorite traders and sellers out there, and I've bought from several over the years. My most recent came from a dealer in Arizona who both buys from other collectors and travels to strewn fields to find new ones.

Just try looking around online. smile Be sure to do your homework before you buy, though. Obviously try to make sure the seller is reputable. (You can eBay meteorites, but this can be dubious). You'll want to know what a particular meteorite looks like and how much they tend to sell for by weight, so that you don't get ripped off. You'll also want to know how to care for the meteorite. Meteorites contain elemental iron. Iron rusts. So you'll want to take steps to prevent further corrosion of your meteorite. This is especially true for polished slices of iron meteorites. With complete stones you can be less cautious.

Finally, give thought to what kind of meteorite interests you. Most people think of meteorites as small, pitted lumps of dark metal. These are iron meteorites, which are less common falls, but easier to find. It's possible to get iron meteorite fragments for fairly cheap, and they make great show-pieces. But there are lots of other types of meteorites, too, which can look very different and have interesting things about them. smile

soapstermoavinisDate: Friday, 14.10.2016, 17:04 | Message # 257
Observer
Group: Users
Pirate
Quote Watsisname ()
nice! What did you get?

I got an 94 gram stone meteorite from Morocco.Pretty neat! biggrin

Edited by soapstermoavinis - Friday, 14.10.2016, 17:06

spacerDate: Friday, 14.10.2016, 17:41 | Message # 258
Star Engineer
Israel
soapstermoavinis, cool! you got a picture?! smile

"we began as wanderers, and we are wanderers still"
-carl sagan

-space engine photographer

WatsisnameDate: Saturday, 15.10.2016, 05:03 | Message # 259
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
United States
Quote soapstermoavinis ()
I got an 94 gram stone meteorite from Morocco.

Awesome! 94 grams is a good-sized piece. smile That wouldn't be the Zag meteorite by any chance would it? That (and Monohans) are the only known meteorites with salt crystals in them!

soapstermoavinisDate: Sunday, 16.10.2016, 13:51 | Message # 260
Observer
Pirate
Quote Watsisname ()
That wouldn't be the Zag meteorite by any chance would it?

Actually it's an NWA meteorite

Forum » SpaceEngine » Science and Astronomy Discussions » Asteroids, meteors, and meteorites (Everything related to space rocks.)
Page 18 of 18«12161718
Search: