Русский New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 1 of 212»
Forum » SpaceEngine » Science and Astronomy Discussions » 2012 Solar Eclipse (about an hour down the road from where I live)
2012 Solar Eclipse
DaninAusDate: Wednesday, 03.10.2012, 01:31 | Message # 1
Space Tourist
Group: Users
Australia
A day after my birthday the area about an hour south of me will see the full solar eclipse at about 6 in the morning here in Australia. The place where you will see the full eclipse is spectacular. You stand at the top of a mountain range and wil be able to see the shadow coming for you from the plains below.

The thing is though, for anyone to go and see it, the government (local council) here is making every buy tickets at $500 each person. For someone like myself, we can't afford that at all.

I was wondering if any of you guys had heard of something like that happening in other countries at all?

WatsisnameDate: Wednesday, 03.10.2012, 01:58 | Message # 2
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
United States
That's a [expletive] shame that they're forcing people to pay outrageous amounts of money to experience a once in a lifetime event there. sad

I don't think there's any reason for you to miss it though -- totality in this eclipse should be visible from a fairly good swath of land, and if you are at all able to get there then the experience of totality is totally worth it from what I hear. I recommend you check out this site for a look at some maps and climate data, and figure out a place you can see it from without having to pay so much. Pay close attention to the weather and be careful to obey local laws (ie, don't go on private land without permission). And don't look at the partial phases without protection! cool

Anyways I wish you the best of luck, hope you get to see it. I've never seen a total solar eclipse myself, though I saw one partial solar eclipse, 77% covered when I was in elementary school, which was quite neat. It was the middle of the day but instead it looked like late evening, the sky was a much darker blue than normal. The teachers were real cool and let us all go out and see it with eclipse glasses. I'll never forget it. smile

My next and best chance of seeing a total is the one in August 2017 that crosses the entire USA.

DaninAusDate: Wednesday, 03.10.2012, 02:14 | Message # 3
Space Tourist
Australia
Thanks mate,

They are having a huge rave type of thing over a couple of days and they will be set up in the best place to see it. I'm sure that I'll find a way to see the full thing if they haven't blocked off any roads plus I know the area very well. It's going to be hectic up here for sure but I never thought that the council would make people pay to go and see it from the best spots. That just really hurts most of the locals' chances of seeing this amazing event just to line their pockets with a bit more money.

HarbingerDawnDate: Wednesday, 03.10.2012, 02:44 | Message # 4
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Quote (DaninAus)
The thing is though, for anyone to go and see it, the government (local council) here is making every buy tickets at $500 each person. For someone like myself, we can't afford that at all.

That's unfortunate. But they can't turn the entire path of the eclipse into a paid-only venue. There will be plenty of other places to observe from.

Quote (DaninAus)
I was wondering if any of you guys had heard of something like that happening in other countries at all?

I've never heard of anything like this. Not sure what city you live in but they seem to be either quirky or just downright cruel.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

SolarisDate: Wednesday, 03.10.2012, 02:50 | Message # 5
World Builder
France
Quote (DaninAus)

I'ts a shame IMO... Pay for such a event, I've never heard of anything like this either.
Maybe the spot is on some private area owned by a skinflint/miser person.. dry

DaninAusDate: Wednesday, 03.10.2012, 03:57 | Message # 6
Space Tourist
Australia
I'm in a council area called "cook shire". If you look at the solar eclipse map of Australia, it covers from below the eclipse line in the east all the way to the top of Queensland. This particular council has been known to be greedy like that but with so much area to "control" and only maybe 500,000 people max, I can see why they would try to get a bit of extra money.

I'll find a spot where I can see it, that's for sure. I just hope they let us up that range as the view would be amazing watching that shadow cover so much ground.

n3xtDate: Thursday, 18.10.2012, 02:38 | Message # 7
Explorer
Netherlands
Eww crappy Illuminati are everywhere xD

That's just sad, perhaps even disgraceful... 500 Aussie bucks for a natural event...

Only humans...

LOL! haha lol With that money I could go like 3 weeks to a subtropical area (no offence)...

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Thursday, 18.10.2012, 03:44 | Message # 8
Galaxy Architect
Pirate
Quote (n3xt)
With that money I could go like 3 weeks to a subtropical area (no offence)...

The tropics and sub tropics are overrated. sad

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

n3xtDate: Sunday, 28.10.2012, 22:23 | Message # 9
Explorer
Netherlands
@DoctorOfSpace

Fine... Whuteva for all I care it would've been Iceland...

Really I don't care about where I go...

But i'ts pretty cold here now while I actually walk twice a day like 5 miles day and night... xD

So that's 10 miles (16 km) a day while it's pretty cold and soon it'll be freezing biggrin

Edited by n3xt - Sunday, 28.10.2012, 22:24

DaninAusDate: Saturday, 10.11.2012, 08:11 | Message # 10
Space Tourist
Australia
So, I just looked at the forecast for the day of the eclipse here and it will be cloudy with a chance of showers.

I really hope that it isn't in the morning at all so I can see it, I'm so glad I didn't go out and fork over $500 each for the missus, child and myself. Imagine paying all the money to watch it in the best spot and having the cloud cover to not let you see it at all.

SpaceEngineerDate: Saturday, 10.11.2012, 12:49 | Message # 11
Author of Space Engine
Group: Administrators
Russian Federation
Why should you pay for someone to watch solar eclipse?

QuontexDate: Saturday, 10.11.2012, 15:23 | Message # 12
Explorer
Australia
I'm Really dissapointed, I live about 4 hours south of cooktown and to find this out, But I do not know, My father works for the state government (god help him) so we might be able to go for a wee bit cheaper. However, charging is still kind of a co**y move.

Edited by Quontex - Saturday, 10.11.2012, 15:24

WatsisnameDate: Saturday, 10.11.2012, 23:21 | Message # 13
Galaxy Architect
United States
GFS model Total Cloud Cover the night before the eclipse. (12 UTC)

And 4 hours after totality

Doesn't look great. sad If you can go into the outback a bit, towards Palmerville, you might be able to get away from the clouds, but it's iffy, especially with the sun being right on the horizon at totality.

DaninAusDate: Sunday, 11.11.2012, 00:45 | Message # 14
Space Tourist
Australia
Can't go to far away, the wife still has to work that morning unfortunately.

But if there is cloud cover, it's no use going anywhere anyway. We'll still head a little south to Lakeland cause it's still a once in a lifetime thing.

DaninAusDate: Sunday, 11.11.2012, 05:20 | Message # 15
Space Tourist
Australia
Quote (Quontex)
I'm Really dissapointed, I live about 4 hours south of cooktown and to find this out

You might be ok I think. The best spot to watch it is about an hour south of myself and that is where they are doing this whole hippy gathering rave type of thing. If you can make it to Mt. Molloy, you could get to see the full eclipse and not have to pay anything.

Forum » SpaceEngine » Science and Astronomy Discussions » 2012 Solar Eclipse (about an hour down the road from where I live)
Page 1 of 212»
Search: