Русский New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 1 of 11
Forum » SpaceEngine » Science and Astronomy Discussions » Exoplanet suns (How many have you seen?)
Exoplanet suns
apenpaapDate: Monday, 01.10.2012, 15:10 | Message # 1
World Builder
Group: Users
Antarctica
This idea arose when I wondered if it would be possible to see Gliese 581 with my telescope. Turns out it's about magnitude 10.5, so that should be possible by itself, however, it's also in Libra, which will lie directly behind the Sun in early November, so I'll have to wait until February or so to try that. However, that got me to wonder if anyone had tried to see it already, or other stars with exoplanets. There's a handy list here you can use. I've only seen Pollux, Hamal, Algieba, and Alrai myself, but I'll probably try to find 51 Pegasi next time it's unclouded. So what about you? Have you seen any?

I occasionally stream at http://www.twitch.tv/magistermystax. Sometimes SE, sometimes other games.

HarbingerDawnDate: Monday, 01.10.2012, 16:32 | Message # 2
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
I've seen Pollux and Epsilon Eridani tongue

EDIT: It seems that Pollux is not named in SpaceEngine, and is labelled only as HD 62509. Weird.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

Edited by HarbingerDawn - Monday, 01.10.2012, 16:38

SpaceEngineerDate: Monday, 01.10.2012, 16:56 | Message # 3
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
It seems that Pollux is not named in SpaceEngine, and is labelled only as HD 62509. Weird.

This is a little bug. As long al Pollux is added to ExoplanetSuns.sc, it replaced the default star from binary catalog. But in ExoplanetSuns.sc it is named only as "HD 62509". The fix is easy: just add the second name to that script: Star "Pollux/HD 62509". I'll probably fix that in code for the next version, just improving a bit of the code that replaces the default star.

HarbingerDawnDate: Monday, 01.10.2012, 17:02 | Message # 4
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (SpaceEngineer)
I'll probably fix that in code for the next version, just improving a bit the code that replaces the default star.

I see. I have also done the same thing with some of the other stars myself, including Betelgeuse and Epsilon Eridani. Maybe I will send my improved scripts to you if you want to use them as well. I don't think I made any significant improvements with Betelgeuse (I just wanted to see what it would look like as a supernova biggrin ) but I made several improvements to Eps Eri, so that its distance, radius, mass, rotation period, and age are all exactly correct (except for age which is only known approximately).

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

RougeJupiterDate: Saturday, 28.12.2013, 03:27 | Message # 5
Observer
Group: Newbies
United States
i cant find epsilon eridani

also why is alpha centuri and epsilon eridani's names are different! its 0.9.7.1!

Joey_PenguinDate: Saturday, 28.12.2013, 03:39 | Message # 6
Pioneer
Group: Users
United States
Scientists think that just about every star has at least one exoplanet except the Sun.

Careful. The PLATT Collective has spurs.

Forum » SpaceEngine » Science and Astronomy Discussions » Exoplanet suns (How many have you seen?)
Page 1 of 11
Search: