RUS New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 1 of 3123»
Forum » SpaceEngine » Mods and Addons » New Interface & Logo (interface and logo overhaul)
New Interface & Logo
7thStitchDate: Wednesday, 08.08.2012, 19:14 | Message # 1
Observer
Group: Newbies
Germany
Hello everyone happy

I made some new loading screens and a new menu interface. Took me an hour to do this little work... I hope you enjoy it and have fun.

Installation:

1. Copy&Paste the eng_menu.png into ...SpaceEngine0.96\data\locale

2. Copy&Paste the content from loading_box to ...SpaceEngine 0.96\data\textures\common

Screenshots:

greetz

7thStitch

7thStitchDate: Wednesday, 08.08.2012, 19:20 | Message # 2
Observer
Germany
ops... forget the files lol biggrin

http://www.sendspace.com/file/uzqmnd

Intel Core i5 @ 3,30GHz | 8,00GB | GeForce GTX 550 Ti @ 4096MB |

planethunter13Date: Wednesday, 15.08.2012, 21:15 | Message # 3
Astronaut
Group: Users
United States
thats should be the logo

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Wednesday, 15.08.2012, 21:26 | Message # 4
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
Pirate
I like Space Engine's current logo but it is very similar to the Endless Space logo.

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

HarbingerDawnDate: Wednesday, 15.08.2012, 21:29 | Message # 5
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Quote (DoctorOfSpace)
I like Space Engine's current logo but it is very similar to the Endless Space logo.

Hmm, indeed it is. Good catch.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

SpaceEngineerDate: Wednesday, 15.08.2012, 22:27 | Message # 6
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
Quote (DoctorOfSpace)

LOL, I never see this before. That is Endless Space?

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Wednesday, 15.08.2012, 22:30 | Message # 7
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
Pirate
Quote (SpaceEngineer)
LOL, I never see this before. That is Endless Space?

Yeah I had no thoughts on either ripping off each other and simply it being a coincidence.

Endless Space isn't even that similar to space engine besides being in space.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/208140/

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

werdnaforeverDate: Saturday, 08.09.2012, 21:03 | Message # 8
World Builder
Pirate
I think what Space Engine needs is a distinct logo. Sure, there's the text that says "Space Engine", but it's in English. Something so universal shouldn't be restricted to Latin characters.

SketchUp did just that very recently. They had a blog post about it.

Space Engine right now seems to be like this:

I think it shoud be like this:

Obviously, the big change is that the text is no longer the logo.

Creating a logo for Space Engine that gives a general representation of the program might be tricky since S.E. encompasses so much. One idea (off the top of my head) is a ringed planet whose circular outline has been changed to the shape of a gear. The point is that it takes something space-related combined with something involving engines, or computers, or something that generates something else.

Look at modern game engines these days. Plenty have a separate logo- CryEngine 3, Unreal Engine, Frostbite, Unity, etc. These and other powerful programs have distinct logos- why not Space Engine?

Also, I should point out that the more simple the logo is, the better.

Edited by werdnaforever - Saturday, 08.09.2012, 21:03

DrPeroxideDate: Monday, 10.12.2012, 01:22 | Message # 9
Observer
United Kingdom
Hey guys, I've been using Space Engine on and off for a while but never really got involved with the community, hopefully this will be my chance to give something back. Anyway, I was trawling the Mods forum and came across a thread about a new interface and logo. Alas, it didn't quite do it for me, but one post in particular caught my eye, which I will now quote for convenience.

Quote (werdnaforever)
I think what Space Engine needs is a distinct logo. Sure, there's the text that says "Space Engine", but it's in English. Something so universal shouldn't be restricted to Latin characters.

SketchUp did just that very recently. They had a blog post about it.

Space Engine right now seems to be like this:

I think it shoud be like this:

Obviously, the big change is that the text is no longer the logo.

Creating a logo for Space Engine that gives a general representation of the program might be tricky since S.E. encompasses so much. One idea (off the top of my head) is a ringed planet whose circular outline has been changed to the shape of a gear. The point is that it takes something space-related combined with something involving engines, or computers, or something that generates something else.

Look at modern game engines these days. Plenty have a separate logo- CryEngine 3, Unreal Engine, Frostbite, Unity, etc. These and other powerful programs have distinct logos- why not Space Engine?

Also, I should point out that the more simple the logo is, the better.

So, I thought I'd have a go at it. At the moment, it's really just a quick design I built in SketchUp and touched up in Photoshop, but I thought I'd post it up, see what people thought and keep working on it if there's enough interest.

Attachments: 8229887.png(36Kb)

"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!"

HarbingerDawnDate: Monday, 10.12.2012, 01:38 | Message # 10
Cosmic Curator
United States
Hello DrPeroxide, and welcome to the forum. Please take a moment to read the forum rules.

Since a thread on this topic already exists here (as you said) then this would have been the best place to post it.

Thanks!

My SE mods and addons

werdnaforeverDate: Monday, 10.12.2012, 01:48 | Message # 11
World Builder
Pirate
Quote (DrPeroxide)
but one post in particular caught my eye, which I will now quote for convenience.

Thanks! smile

That's a cool design! Perhaps it could be a bit simpler- especially the gear. I think the best way to help judge the logo's complexity would be a strict, two color black and white version:

Every logo is supposed to be represented in only two colors since it's the shape that matters most.

Attachments: 0690060.png(25Kb)

HarbingerDawnDate: Monday, 10.12.2012, 01:51 | Message # 12
Cosmic Curator
United States
I really like that logo, especially now that I see it in high contrast smile Not sure about the cog thematically, but on just a how-it-relates-to-the-name level it's exceptionally nice.

My SE mods and addons

DrPeroxideDate: Monday, 10.12.2012, 02:11 | Message # 13
Observer
United Kingdom
Thanks Harbinger, you are indeed correct, I'm really not thinking straight tonight!

I see what you're saying about the two-tone colour scheme, werdnaforever and it does work.

I'm glad you guys like it, but if you can think of any way it could be improved remember that I've still got the 3D model so I can make further adjustments and get a shot from any angle.

HarbingerDawnDate: Monday, 10.12.2012, 03:06 | Message # 14
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (DrPeroxide)
if you can think of any way it could be improved remember that I've still got the 3D model so I can make further adjustments and get a shot from any angle.

I think having the ring rotated to a less severe angle would be nice (maybe more like 40° as opposed to the current 55-60). I also had an idea about the design: what if the ring faded from a cog on one side to a smooth planet-like ring on the other? Just a thought.

My SE mods and addons

DrPeroxideDate: Monday, 10.12.2012, 18:10 | Message # 15
Observer
United Kingdom
Yeah I see what you mean about the angle. I'll see what I can do about the planetary ring fade too, but I'm not convinced it would work well with the whole two-tone colour scheme we've got going here.

That said, I'll give it a go in the morning smile

Added (10.12.2012, 21:10)
---------------------------------------------
Here it is again at slightly less severe angle. I've included a two tone and a three tone version.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Forum » SpaceEngine » Mods and Addons » New Interface & Logo (interface and logo overhaul)
Page 1 of 3123»
Search: