Русский New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 2 of 2«12
Forum » SpaceEngine » Mods and Addons » 32K Mars Surface Map (non-shaded) (High resolution nonshaded surface map for Mars)
32K Mars Surface Map (non-shaded)
SpaceEngineerDate: Wednesday, 08.08.2012, 19:54 | Message # 16
Author of Space Engine
Group: Administrators
Russian Federation
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
Yes, please do! I am glad to contribute.

Ok, thanks smile

Quote (HarbingerDawn)
It does not improve the alignment with the bump map unfortunately. Aside from the color changes and removing a few small blemishes, my map is identical to the non-shaded map you uploaded.

So you just take "official" map and process it in the batch image converter? Or you use NASA dataset and process it with CubeMap? DEfault texture has strange color noise at the most detail level...

Quote (HarbingerDawn)
Hopefully by 0.97 we will have good-looking maps on all worlds and elevation data that matches them

This would be cool. But note that for 0.97 I plan to resize textures tiles to 256*256 instead of 514*514 to match their size with procedural textures size and improve ingame loading speed. So I suggest all modders to save original unprocessed by CubeMap images, to fast re-prcessing them for 0.97.

HarbingerDawnDate: Wednesday, 08.08.2012, 20:04 | Message # 17
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (SpaceEngineer)
Or you use NASA dataset and process it with CubeMap? DEfault texture has strange color noise at the most detail level...

I downloaded the NASA dataset, used Photoshop to fix it, and processed it with CubeMap. I never use a batch image converter for work like this. All maps I release are made from the original NASA maps, or maps that other people have put online and given permission to use.

Quote (SpaceEngineer)
o I suggest all modders to save original unprocessed by CubeMap images, to fast re-prcessing them for 0.97

I always do this smile When the 0.97 release gets closer, I can re-process all of my maps to use the smaller tiles.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

SpaceEngineerDate: Wednesday, 08.08.2012, 20:09 | Message # 18
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
Ok, it is good. I would like to have them (original fixed maps) on my PC, but I guess they have huge size and it will be difficult to download them. Maybe I will share some folder on ftp soon.

HarbingerDawnDate: Wednesday, 08.08.2012, 20:30 | Message # 19
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (SpaceEngineer)
Ok, it is good. I would like to have them (original fixed maps) on my PC, but I guess they have huge size and it will be difficult to download them.

If I had the final map I made of this one before I upscaled it to the nearest power of 2, then it would not have been too large. I am currently downsizing the image back to its original dimensions to save it as a PNG, then I will upload it somewhere for you to have.

For the very large Mercury map I could upload it to you via a torrent file, but I see no sense in this because new data will be out in less than a month and I plan to remake the map anyway. So when I make that map in September I will send you the cylindrical projection version.

My SE mods and addons

SpaceEngineerDate: Thursday, 09.08.2012, 17:38 | Message # 20
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
You might not scale the map to nearest power of two - CubeMap works well with any size.
Mercury and Moon texture may be saved as 1-channel (greyscale) png - this may save disk space and accelerates CubeMap a lot. BTW, is there good Moon texture available (that fits with the Moon bump map)? I used b/w Clementine's a few years ago, but it was obtained in near infrared, that is not good for SE, and has a lot of gaps, so I keep these greenish map for release.

PS: nice galactic signature Harb smile

HarbingerDawnDate: Thursday, 09.08.2012, 19:03 | Message # 21
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (SpaceEngineer)
You might not scale the map to nearest power of two - CubeMap works well with any size.

Okay, thanks for the information. How does it do it exactly? If you have a map that is greater than 16k but less than 32k, does CubeMap scale it up to 32k in the final map? Or does it scale down?

Quote (SpaceEngineer)
BTW, is there good Moon texture available (that fit with Moon bump map)?

There is a nice map made from LROC-WAC images, but it has visible seams that need to be corrected. You can download here: http://www.lroc.asu.edu/data...._GLOBAL
WAC_GLOBAL_E000N1800_064P.TIF gives good resolution (64 pixels per degree, same as this Viking color map) without very large file size, so it's a good option if you want to get an idea of what the map is like.

When I learn a good method for reducing the lines on the map, I will try to make a new texture with this.

Quote (SpaceEngineer)
PS: nice galactic signature Harb

Thanks smile

My SE mods and addons

SpaceEngineerDate: Thursday, 09.08.2012, 19:39 | Message # 22
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
Okay, thanks for the information. How does it do it exactly? If you have a map that is greater than 16k but less than 32k, does CubeMap scale it up to 32k in the final map? Or does it scale down?

It scales it up, to 32k. (Of course it doesn't do any scale, just use texture coordinates mapping adjusted in that way).

Destructor1701Date: Sunday, 12.08.2012, 15:05 | Message # 23
Pioneer
Group: Users
Ireland
SR-2 flying over Gale Crater:

Crashman1390Date: Saturday, 27.04.2013, 20:00 | Message # 24
Explorer
Canada
All I get is a blurred mess of pixels roughly the shape of mars... Help?

[b]I was wrong, this forum still has a horrible community.[/b]

HarbingerDawnDate: Saturday, 27.04.2013, 20:06 | Message # 25
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (Crashman1390)
All I get is a blurred mess of pixels roughly the shape of mars... Help?

No one can help you if you unless you give more information than that... post a screenshot of your problem and attach your se.log file.

My SE mods and addons

Crashman1390Date: Saturday, 27.04.2013, 20:20 | Message # 26
Explorer
Canada
Wow... It fixed itself for some reason... I feel like an idiot now. wacko

[b]I was wrong, this forum still has a horrible community.[/b]

kairunotabiDate: Sunday, 28.04.2013, 05:14 | Message # 27
Astronaut
Philippines
I did what you said in the first post and this is what i got

Edit:
Mistakenly typed "-" instead of "_". Already fixed, by the way, are you working on bump maps for this surface map?

Edited by kairunotabi - Sunday, 28.04.2013, 05:23

Forum » SpaceEngine » Mods and Addons » 32K Mars Surface Map (non-shaded) (High resolution nonshaded surface map for Mars)
Page 2 of 2«12
Search: