[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 3 of 4«1234»
Forum » SpaceEngine » Mods and Addons » Ship Models
Ship Models
KvikiDate: Thursday, 19.07.2012, 11:56 | Message # 31
Explorer
Group: SE team
Croatia
If anyone's interested, and knows how, there's a great up-to-date Intrepid class model from Star Trek Excalibur here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/82862113/LC_Intrepid.zip

The extension is .x and there are several different color textures, so that someone would need to do some UV mapping and adjust them to the model, since SE uses only one texture.

Edited by Kviki - Thursday, 19.07.2012, 11:59

Destructor1701Date: Thursday, 19.07.2012, 15:08 | Message # 32
Pioneer
Group: Users
Ireland
I've been looking at converting some ships from the Bridge Commander/Excalibur community, but I can't find an importer (or an import method) for .x files that works with Win 7 x64. I've tried administrator and compatibility - no dice. I'll have to have a go on my netbook. Similarly, Bridge Commander .nif models seem unwilling to open on Win 7 x64, in any version of Nifskope or Milkshape. Pain in the ass.

Regardless of my difficulties, I recommend that you seek permission from the community over there before you embark on the conversion. They are rightly very proud of their work there, and if it shows up unannounced somewhere else, they may be pissed.

Generally, permission is given. I've been a member of that community for over a decade, and I've rarely had a problem with them

Edited by Destructor1701 - Thursday, 19.07.2012, 15:09

DreagarDate: Saturday, 21.07.2012, 21:01 | Message # 33
Observer
United Kingdom
Bump for continued plea.

"Help us SpaceEngie you're our only hope!"

dontpanicDate: Saturday, 21.07.2012, 21:40 | Message # 34
Space Pilot
United States
I'd just recommend getting 3DS MAX, never had any problems with it...

DreagarDate: Sunday, 22.07.2012, 14:43 | Message # 35
Observer
United Kingdom
$3050, wow. I thought a $30 game was expensive O.o
And the trial asks WAY too much personal information, some of which doesn't even apply to me!

Any other, less nosey & expensive solutions plox?

dontpanicDate: Sunday, 22.07.2012, 20:08 | Message # 36
Space Pilot
United States
I am using trial. What is the problem in filling out that form? It's not like you are obliged to buy it after 30 days if you try the trial version... And you don't HAVE to give out REAL info about yourself.

DreagarDate: Sunday, 22.07.2012, 23:41 | Message # 37
Observer
United Kingdom
I guess, It's just that I hate lying, even if it's for something seemingly trivial. There are consequences for everything, I know from experience on both ends.

Destructor1701Date: Monday, 23.07.2012, 00:05 | Message # 38
Pioneer
Ireland
I have 3ds MAX, but there's no importer for .X models for 3ds MAX. I've yet to give my netbook a go with milkshape and NifSkope, but as far as I remember, it worked on it before.

Edited by Destructor1701 - Monday, 23.07.2012, 00:05

dontpanicDate: Monday, 23.07.2012, 10:27 | Message # 39
Space Pilot
United States
Quote (Dreagar)
I guess, It's just that I hate lying, even if it's for something seemingly trivial. There are consequences for everything, I know from experience on both ends.

What consequences could there possibly be? There will be absolutely NO consequences to either giving out real info or just making things up. You think they review every single form they get, and try to trace it back to it's source, for whatever reason??

DreagarDate: Monday, 23.07.2012, 12:38 | Message # 40
Observer
United Kingdom
Not that, but I might screw up their census, and trust me it is annoying as hell when people do that even if it's one or two. Data MUST correlate in order for your superiors to recognise you as important.

And it's not really a crime (it is in some cases but no one gives a sh!t) to lie on forms, therefore they wouldn't trace it back. Funny thing is though, that it's really easy to.

Regardless of the point, I don't have the heart to lie on the form and get the blasted 30 day trial (especially if it counts actual days since downloading instead of hours used), and I won't (is that even a word?) part with that much data over something trivial.

But here's an idea, could you pretty please with cherries on top convert my model if I give it to you?#
Here's the original model: Destiny by Ksst
And here's my attempt at converting it to a .obj file: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/88729994/SpaceEngine/Destiny%20 (1).obj

dontpanicDate: Monday, 23.07.2012, 16:22 | Message # 41
Space Pilot
United States
O_o That's a complex model...
It consists of 2911 separate objects! When I try to join them all into one object with sketchup, it freezes! Could you try to join all of the objects together and then upload it somewhere? I can't merge all of the objects with 3ds max, because I need to merge each and every object individually to another object, so it could take a while...
Also, the second link you posted doesn't work...

DreagarDate: Monday, 23.07.2012, 20:48 | Message # 42
Observer
United Kingdom
You have to include the .obj bit

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/88729994/SpaceEngine/Destiny%20 (1).obj

EDIT: Grr, it doesn't like parenthesis in addresses. You'll have to manually remove the space, silly forum herpa derp derping :P
EDIT2: The second model should be merged, but I'm not too sure about it. Sadly I can't merge it in S-ketchup either.

Edited by Dreagar - Monday, 23.07.2012, 20:53

dontpanicDate: Monday, 23.07.2012, 22:19 | Message # 43
Space Pilot
United States
Ok, I downloaded the file you have converted, imported it to 3ds max (with minor changes during import), the ship was a single object so it's ok, exported it to .obj again with 3ds max and default settings, tested it with Space Engine, and... It works!
Though, because I don't have the textures and I used another ships texture, it looked terrible (it looks as if parts of it are missing, so maybe it's not the textures but rather you did something to it while exporting)
Anyway, here's a link to the .obj that works with SE: http://www.4shared.com/file/ehX5H8sW/destiny.html
I think it is pretty useless though... Think about making a texture map for that thing! I think you should find a more simple model.

DreagarDate: Monday, 23.07.2012, 22:49 | Message # 44
Observer
United Kingdom
Thank you for converting it, and I would find a simpler model, but the problem persists that it simply doesn't exist! (I have standards, half-assed isn't good enough)

No worries on texture though, I got that handled (I think). Can't wait to release finished version, so once again I thank you biggrin

DreagarDate: Monday, 23.07.2012, 23:00 | Message # 45
Observer
United Kingdom
Haha, it seems two problems slipped my gaze, the model faces are inverted and the ship is off centre. Hopefully the magic of blender will finally work...

EDIT: NOPE NOPE NOPE, you're right, it's the texture.
EDIT2: NOPE ^ 3 ^ 2, it's the mesh, some parts are inverted some aren't. I'll see if I can fix it now that blender exports usable versions.

PS: The ship is really tiny, only a few meters O.o

Edited by Dreagar - Monday, 23.07.2012, 23:38

Forum » SpaceEngine » Mods and Addons » Ship Models
Page 3 of 4«1234»
Search: