Русский New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 1 of 11
Forum » SpaceEngine » Mods and Addons » Mars Clouds Map v1.1 (Based in Mars Global Orbital Surveyor Camera. NEW VERSION)
Mars Clouds Map v1.1
ciraxDate: Monday, 24.11.2014, 14:33 | Message # 1
Astronaut
Group: Users
Spain
After downlading the great work of Voekoevaka in the Neptune and Mars cloud maps, I remember a planetary mars cloud map somewhere else and finally I found it in the webpage image archive of the Mars Orbital Surveyor here named MOC2-143. After decomposing it in RGB layers, taking and editing the blue channel, I was able to made a surprisingly good cloud map based in the MOC image. Give it a try, it is less than 1 MB image.

Screenshots
------------------

Click on the image for full size:

-Tharsis with clouds

-Tharsis without clouds

-Syrtis Major, Elysium and Hellas with clouds

-Syrtis Major, Elysium and Hellas without clouds

Download link

-------------------
Don't forget to read the instalation instructions readme file.

MARS CLOUDS MAP v1.1 DOWNLOAD* (Size 0.9 MB)

*New version: Fixed darkening problem while keeping the most of the clouds.

IMPORTANT VERSION 1.1! Read the instalation instructions. Now the texture is a cylindrical projection that must be installed in the
planets folder. Read the instalation file for further details.

Thanks for your gratitude comments in other threads, be free to do any comments.

====================================

My other catalogs and texture threads: Saturn Moons Textures, Uranus moons and Triton Textures, Brown Dwarfs Catalog, Black Holes Catalog, Venus Color Surface Texture 12k

Attachments: 8757486.jpg(124Kb) · 9822196.jpg(122Kb) · 0395906.jpg(128Kb) · 8379342.jpg(130Kb)

My work for SE: Click here
Textures for Venus surface in color and the moons of Saturn, Uranus and Neptune.
Catalogs of binary stars, brown dwarfs, black holes and neutron stars.
Proxima b (3 versions).

Edited by cirax - Monday, 01.12.2014, 15:18

SpaceEngineerDate: Thursday, 27.11.2014, 11:20 | Message # 2
Author of Space Engine
Group: Administrators
Russian Federation
Very nice map! It have some issues though (like non-zero transparency in a transparent areas, what makes Mars' limb a bit darker). May I ask a source cylindrical texture (I mean before precessing by CubeMap)? I may fix it and add as a default Mars clouds in the next release.

PS: Why did you change the atmo pressure on Mars?

HarbingerDawnDate: Thursday, 27.11.2014, 12:37 | Message # 3
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote SpaceEngineer ()
Why did you change the atmo pressure on Mars?

Because of the bug that causes clouds to display incorrectly at pressures lower than 0.05 atm

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

ciraxDate: Friday, 28.11.2014, 14:28 | Message # 4
Astronaut
Spain
Well I must confess that I was moving in the dark with the transparency issue, but I think I was able to fix the dark problem (I didn't selected and deleted the black pixels around the clouds wacko . Down here you have the fixed cylindrical projection:

Mars Clouds Map MOC New

Before decreasing oppacity (if you find better to edit this one):

Mars Clouds BW

Anyway it's a quick fix, but I will work on it this weekend, if I think I'm able to do other improvements.

Finally, I'm really happy you like it and took it to the next release! biggrin .

Textures for Venus surface in color and the moons of Saturn, Uranus and Neptune.
Proxima b (3 versions).

SpaceEngineerDate: Saturday, 29.11.2014, 13:01 | Message # 5
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
Thanks! Also, you must know what SE don't support grayscale + alpha textures (it can render it, but can't generate mipmaps correctly, which can cause visual artifacts). And clouds textures really doesn't need the alpha channel. Simply grayscale is enough.

ciraxDate: Monday, 01.12.2014, 14:43 | Message # 6
Astronaut
Spain
I think you may be more interested in this black and white version of the clouds texture, without deleting anything, because in the previous one I deleted too many pixels:

Mars Clouds BW Full

From there you can just select (in GIMP) with the color tool selection as many black pixels as you want adjusting the threshold option (for example I used 8 in this new version), deleting and decreasing opacity.

Proxima b (3 versions).

Edited by cirax - Monday, 01.12.2014, 14:44

Forum » SpaceEngine » Mods and Addons » Mars Clouds Map v1.1 (Based in Mars Global Orbital Surveyor Camera. NEW VERSION)
Page 1 of 11
Search: