[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 7 of 18«12567891718»
Forum » SpaceEngine » Mods and Addons » Rodrigo's Terrain Mods
Rodrigo's Terrain Mods
DoctorOfSpaceDate: Monday, 13.07.2015, 01:29 | Message # 91
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
Pirate
Finally had a chance to try out your 0.9.7.4 setup and I must say they look very nice. I would recommend putting up some before and after screens so people can see the difference.

Tried this out in my modified solar system, here is titan with my own adjustments

And here is how it looks using your clouds

While they do look pretty nice from space they look really jagged and messy up close.

Setting the PlanetDetailClouds to 1 reduces quality and looks bad

Here is an in shader adjustment to 2 variables that pretty much fixes the detail issue and doesn't require reducing quality of clouds.

Here is yours from space and cloud level with PlanetDetailClouds set to 0.1 still

And here is a slight adjustment to the noiseOctaves without having to change the cloud detail settings

This was done in 0.9.7.4 and the shader is attached to this post, must be named tg_clouds_height

Attachments: 4625560.glsl(5Kb)

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

spacerDate: Monday, 13.07.2015, 05:28 | Message # 92
Star Engineer
Group: Users
Israel
where to put the files?
cant find it in SE folder. wacko
system\cant find the shaders file

"we began as wanderers, and we are wanderers still"
-carl sagan

-space engine photographer

Edited by spacer - Monday, 13.07.2015, 05:30

BambusmanDate: Monday, 13.07.2015, 12:54 | Message # 93
Pioneer
Group: SE team
Germany
spacer, in the system folder should be a file named "shaders.pak" open it with winrar and put the downloaded files inside it.

Edited by Bambusman - Monday, 13.07.2015, 12:54

spacerDate: Monday, 13.07.2015, 18:06 | Message # 94
Star Engineer
Israel
thank you! smile

"we began as wanderers, and we are wanderers still"
-carl sagan

-space engine photographer

HarbingerDawnDate: Monday, 13.07.2015, 22:50 | Message # 95
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Quote Bambusman ()
in the system folder should be a file named "shaders.pak" open it with winrar and put the downloaded files inside it.

No! Don't modify the pak files. Put the shaders in the system/shaders/ folder. If it doesn't exist, create it. Never modify a pak file, it's completely unnecessary and prevents you from using it as a backup.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

RodrigoDate: Tuesday, 14.07.2015, 00:17 | Message # 96
Explorer
Group: Local Moderators
Brazil
Quote DoctorOfSpace ()
Here is an in shader adjustment to 2 variables that pretty much fixes the detail issue and doesn't require reducing quality of clouds.

Doc, the thing is, if we use noiseOctaves = 8, we get something like this from low altitudes:

Instead of this using 12 as the value:

I know it looks rather ugly at cloud level, that's why I recommended changing PlanetDetailClouds to 1.0 .... I thought that it was the best (not ideal) way do lessen the ugly effects

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Tuesday, 14.07.2015, 00:35 | Message # 97
Galaxy Architect
Pirate
You are correct but the reduction in overall quality is quite severe when viewing clouds from ground level. I will take a look and see if I can figure out a solution or at least a compromise between the two.

With detail set to 1 the cloud detail becomes quite blurry and it doesn't solve the jagged spike issue.

EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

RodrigoDate: Tuesday, 14.07.2015, 01:19 | Message # 98
Explorer
Group: Local Moderators
Brazil
Doc, I think I found a middle ground solution. Please try this, see if it works for you
tg_clouds_height.glsl

Attachments: 9682421.glsl(5Kb)

Edited by Rodrigo - Tuesday, 14.07.2015, 02:14

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Tuesday, 14.07.2015, 03:08 | Message # 99
Galaxy Architect
Pirate
The only real difference I see with that setting is that the clouds are flat.

EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

Bells_TheoremDate: Thursday, 06.08.2015, 04:27 | Message # 100
Explorer
United States
Quote Rodrigo ()
Installation:

Extract the 0.9.7.3.rar file below to /system/shaders folder. I recommend setting PlanetDetailClouds to 1.0 in main.cfg

EDIT - if you're using 0.9.7.4 beta, instead, use 0.9.7.4.rar

I'm certain that it's because I'm a complete idiot but I don't see any difference between with or without shaders which probably means I've done something wrong.

SE Version: 0.9.7.4 Beta version 5
Download: 0.9.7.4.rar: Check
Create a /system/shaders folder: Check
Extract 0.9.7.4.rar to /system/shaders folder: Check
Edited main.cfg PlanetDetailClouds to 1.0: Check

When I compare screenshots without shaders and with shaders, I'm seeing no difference. Did I miss a step?

No Shaders

Shaders

AlekDate: Thursday, 06.08.2015, 04:41 | Message # 101
Pioneer
United States
Bells_Theorem, I can tell a slight difference, with the clouds with shader being a tiny bit brighter, and a tiny bit less opaque.

Living among the stars, I find my way. I grow in strength through knowledge of the space I occupy, until I become the ruler of my own interstellar empire of sorts. Though The world was made for the day, I was made for the night, and thus, the universe itself is within my destiny.

Bells_TheoremDate: Thursday, 06.08.2015, 05:04 | Message # 102
Explorer
United States
Alek, The two were taken at slightly different angles and honestly the difference is so subtle that I couldn't tell you which had the shaders and which didn't, so I'm not so sure any difference is due to shaders working.

Are there any objects that have a more dramatic difference that I can use to be sure?

AlekDate: Thursday, 06.08.2015, 05:12 | Message # 103
Pioneer
United States
Bells_Theorem, Oh, hm...you might try something around a red dwarf? Not sure...

Living among the stars, I find my way. I grow in strength through knowledge of the space I occupy, until I become the ruler of my own interstellar empire of sorts. Though The world was made for the day, I was made for the night, and thus, the universe itself is within my destiny.

Bells_TheoremDate: Thursday, 06.08.2015, 05:29 | Message # 104
Explorer
United States
Alek, I tried again with a desert planet with distinctive clouds, but this time I took a screenshot then closed the program, renamed my /system/shaders to "No shaders" and restarted SE and took another screenshot from the exact same location and if I flip between images I can tell they are exacly identical, pixel for pixel. So I'm certain that the shaders aren't working sad

Any suggestions? Am I supposed to change any config files to look at the shaders folder?

Edited by Bells_Theorem - Thursday, 06.08.2015, 05:31

AlekDate: Thursday, 06.08.2015, 05:35 | Message # 105
Pioneer
United States
Hmm...very very strange...Maybe they only work on custom planets? I'm really not sure, I don't know a ton about the way shaders work.. :-/

Forum » SpaceEngine » Mods and Addons » Rodrigo's Terrain Mods
Page 7 of 18«12567891718»
Search: