Русский New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 1 of 11
Forum » SpaceEngine » Mods and Addons » Calling 3D modelers! Sweet idea for a space ship addon.
Calling 3D modelers! Sweet idea for a space ship addon.
AlabasterDate: Wednesday, 18.12.2013, 04:00 | Message # 1
Observer
Group: Newbies
United States
If anyone here has the time and know-how to create a 3D modeled spaceship from scratch, based on several 2D images, and wants a project to work on, I would really love to have the spaceship from the band Boston's album covers in Space Engine. It would be so awesome for screenshots.

The ship is shaped like a guitar, with the word "Boston" on the front of the ship (bottom of the guitar), and a dome containing a city (presumably Boston) on the top of the ship (back of the guitar), with the neck of the guitar extending out behind the ship.

I found a few videos of youtube of amateur-made computer animations of the ship, but none of them seemed to have the shape quite right, and were pretty low-detail. Here's a few album covers and other official Boston artwork that features the ship.

So yeah, if anyone feels up to it, that would be awesome. Thanks in advance, to anyone who wants to take the task.

DarvDate: Wednesday, 22.10.2014, 00:50 | Message # 2
Observer
Group: Newbies
United States
I know this thread is a tad old but I thought I would reply just the same.

I did my first 3D render of the ship back in 1995 with a best version of 3DS Max. The ship has gone through many updates over the years as I and the software improved. I have done some small test animations but never published them. The ship is near perfect from all angles though I did take out the rocket engines at one time and should probably put them back.

The modeling of the ship is based on the liner sleeve from the Don't Look Back album. I had to scan in the liner then figure out a way to remove black without touching the blue lines. The final ship matches all the angles but has a bit more city in it that was on the liner. At one time I even had cars and street lights in the city but it slowed render times.

I have a number of renders on my website. If there is something you want to see, just say so. I have never charged for the wallpapers.

Darv

RockoRocksDate: Wednesday, 22.10.2014, 12:25 | Message # 3
World Builder
Group: Users
Belgium
Darv, that looks really good! Have you textured it yet? Are you planning on exporting the ship to SpaceEngine so we can all fly it?

If you need any help importing it in SE just ask us.

I will be inactive on this forum for the time being. Might come back eventually

AMD AR-3305M APU w/ Radeon HD 1.90 GHz 6,00 GB RAM

Forum » SpaceEngine » Mods and Addons » Calling 3D modelers! Sweet idea for a space ship addon.
Page 1 of 11
Search: