Русский New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 1 of 11
Forum » SpaceEngine » Gameplay Discussions » Continuous MMORTS (Gameplay idea)
Continuous MMORTS
Hasforjs97Date: Monday, 06.08.2012, 21:59 | Message # 1
Space Pilot
Group: Translators
Spain
I see many people talking about gameplay ideas where you have got a single ship and you are its captain, then you have a mission to accomplish or maybe you can land on planets/dock on stations, like in Evochron games, to have other missions.

I propose something different: Some kind of strategy game but with massive multiplayer, so you don't make 3-hours games with a small group of players like in almost all RTS, but the game lasts undefinitely.
These are some features there can be in the game (they don't follow any order because I write them at the time they come to my head):
- You are in an Earth-like planet and have to conduct its civilization to the space era (starting in the in middle 20th century, when the first space probes and satellites were built).
- You have no space ships, and with some resources (I haven't thought about them yet). You start building rockets or something to "conquer" your system.
- You could maybe have some kind of acheivements, so you could earn technology at the time you explore new planets, or maybe you could scan the planets to look for resources which let you research this technology.
- In some moment you research the FTL (Faster Than Light) travel, and you start exploring new systems (which you could have investigated from your homeworld to know if they have planets and things like that.
- You could first send some probes to look for relatively near worlds where you could establish colonies, and then you would build colony ships to send people.
- Possiblity to establish mining colonies in little moons or to -later, when you have a little more resources and tech- terraform some planets, but also you could find for already inhabited worlds to establish big groups of people
- I propose to use only one galaxy for the game, maybe the MW, becaouse it's ours, or maybe Andromeda because we know its pretty large, but not more galaxies, because it would be really unnecesary.
- Obviously you will be able to contact other players, since that's the purpose of the game, but also there could be AI civilizations near you so you could simply interact to them before finding other players.
- With other players or the AI civs, you could trade, fight, explore together, spy and steal tech, and other things.
- You would have something like tags to fastly find the ships you need in any moment, and you could also filter them by their location, and other things to find any ship, becasue you would have lots.
- Also building cities, mines, and other land structures to have resources and other things.

By the moment I can't think of more features, but I think this could be another interesting gameplay, beside (not instead) the first person exploring game with the ship and landing in the planets to walk and things like that, which would also be a very good game, but I'm writing this because I know you have planed to make more than one game based in SE.

My desktop:
Pentium G3260 @ 3.30GHz
8.0 GB DDR3
AMD Radeon HD 5570 1GB

Edited by Hasforjs97 - Monday, 06.08.2012, 22:00

SpaceEngineerDate: Monday, 06.08.2012, 22:47 | Message # 2
Author of Space Engine
Group: Administrators
Russian Federation
You purpose is not a real time game. Developing from a mid-XX century civilization to FTL drive in a few days of playing is possible only with some sort of time acceleration. To make it playable online, the motion of planets would be unnatural, "cartoonish" similar to Spore. This would ruin the soul of SpaceEngine...

I think the first stage of game - until developing of FTL - may be an offline version without harm to gameplay, as long as it has no interaction with other players. So it may be like "Spore's" "Civilization" stage.

Hasforjs97Date: Monday, 06.08.2012, 23:21 | Message # 3
Space Pilot
Group: Translators
Spain
Quote (SpaceEngineer)
You purpose is not a real time game

Well, with real time I was meaning a game where time is the same for all players and there is no turn strategy, but I wasn't meaning that when you spent 1 hour playing it's 1 hour in the game, because you would have to be playing for thousands of years...

Quote (SpaceEngineer)
I think the first stage of game - until developing of FTL - may be an offline version without harm to gameplay, as long as it has no interaction with other players.

This would be a great idea. For example in Evochron when you are alone in a system, even if you are in a server, you play offline, and you can even pause the game, and this would be good to avoid unuseful internet connection during the first days of game, but there is a problem: Imagine that a player with very high tech scans the zone you are in and finds your star system when you are in the first stage... I suppose this is the reason of Spore being not online wacko

Well, I'm seeing that the gameplay I'm talking about doesn't fit in a totally-realistic game. Anyway, I think if we had a 100% realistic game many people would fastly get bored of it, because, for example, even with FTL, it would take you a lot to get to a not very far star (for example if you travelled at 10.000c, that is a very high speed, it would take you a little more than 22 hours to get to the Vega system, which is at approx. 25 LY). I'm trying to say that, to have a game which people like, you would need to make some unrealistic things to make it more enjoyable (since I don't think it's very realistic to travel at 10.000c).
And, in the other hand, beside the speed of the interstellar flights, the single ship exploration game would be very realistic, so maybe my idea would be a secondary option if you, in some moment, planned to make a second game. Also I don't know if many people would like my idea, and I still think the single ship exploration is the best idea for a SE game, due to its originality and realism...

In conclusion, I think that the first game (1.0 version I supose) will be the exploration one, but I'm proposing a idea, to have one more if you even needed it. I hope it can help, and also I would like to know what do other people think about this kind of gameplay, because the developer is the only who has replied the thread sad

My desktop:
Pentium G3260 @ 3.30GHz
8.0 GB DDR3
AMD Radeon HD 5570 1GB

Edited by Hasforjs97 - Monday, 06.08.2012, 23:22

pebbleDate: Tuesday, 07.08.2012, 17:30 | Message # 4
Astronaut
Group: Users
United States
So here's a minimal game concept: You're a seed ship charged with finding a certain number of Earthlike worlds on which you must drop terraforming starter pods. There's time pressure because of some impending disaster at home, and you have limited resources and scanner range for searching nearby systems.

You could actually play this game right now, by imposing some limitations on yourself.

Start with 10 pods, marked on a notepad.
Give yourself a time limit (it'll take some testing to see what a good value would be from a gameplay standpoint)
Use the F1 map to search for likely nearby systems. Pick your targets and fly there.
Don't accelerate/decelerate faster than a certain amount (again, testing required). No max speed, just limited acceleration.
Decide what initial parameters your terra worlds must fall within (temperature, atmo density, etc.)
Then just start flying and marking off successful deliveries. Maybe roll a six-sided dice and call 6 a malfunctioning drop.

With a little extra effort you could add something like:

Create a table of system malfunctions and slowly increase their likelyhood as time goes on, using dice rolls. Decrease your ability to repair the malfunctions over time. When you have a repair you can't fix, depending on what sort of breakdown it is you might blow up, fly slower, lose crew over time, etc.

My point is that you could create a pretty complex paper and pencil RPG game system for this, without requiring any additional programming.

Starships don't currently work in interstellar space in v.0.96, but in the meantime you can use the camera as your ship, and spawn a starship in the system once you arrive.

Edited by pebble - Tuesday, 07.08.2012, 17:45

Forum » SpaceEngine » Gameplay Discussions » Continuous MMORTS (Gameplay idea)
Page 1 of 11
Search: