RUS New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 1 of 11
Forum » SpaceEngine » Gameplay Discussions » A suggestion regarding planetary rings
A suggestion regarding planetary rings
Antza2Date: Tuesday, 26.06.2012, 16:36 | Message # 1
World Builder
Group: Global Moderators
Finland
I just wondered if it would be possible in a future version of Space Engine to change planetary rings from a static texture to actual rocks and particles. From far away the game would show the texture, but when you go closer the texture would fade and the engine would start generating rocks of varying size and material. I saw it done in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fO7XhaTGDYg

Go to antza2.deviantart.com for cool photos!

HarbingerDawnDate: Tuesday, 26.06.2012, 17:45 | Message # 2
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Hello Antza2, and welcome to the forum! Please take a moment to read the forum rules (especially points 4, 5, and 6).

The topic of 3D rings has already been discussed here.

Regarding the video, it certainly looks nice, but is not very realistic. In real planetary rings (like the rings of Saturn) the particles are very small, rarely more than 1 meter across, and there are many of them very close together. What was shown in the video was made more for aesthetics than realism, and since SpaceEngine is focused on realism any 3D rings in SE would take a different approach. You can read more about it at the thread I posted.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

Antza2Date: Tuesday, 26.06.2012, 20:56 | Message # 3
World Builder
Finland
Ah. Sorry smile . I tried searching for a thread about this subject but obviously i wasn't looking hard enough.

Go to antza2.deviantart.com for cool photos!

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Tuesday, 26.06.2012, 21:45 | Message # 4
Galaxy Architect
Pirate
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
(like the rings of Saturn) the particles are very small, rarely more than 1 meter across

Didn't the Cassini missions take images of objects that were hundreds of meters across? And wasn't it estimated that Saturn's rings being so large could contain thousands of such objects?

I think Antza and you are both right but it would be few and far between to finding such objects in a ring system like Saturn's.

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

HarbingerDawnDate: Tuesday, 26.06.2012, 22:25 | Message # 5
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Quote (DoctorOfSpace)
Didn't the Cassini missions take images of objects that were hundreds of meters across? And wasn't it estimated that Saturn's rings being so large could contain thousands of such objects?

There are a few moonlets that are kilometer-scale in the rings, and at equinox Cassini spotted structures rather like mountains bunched up at the outer edge of a ring, maybe up to a kilometer in height. But the vast majority (99.99999%) of the volume of the rings would be particles smaller than a few meters.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

MrNobodyX3Date: Tuesday, 09.06.2015, 02:18 | Message # 6
Observer
Group: Newbies
United States
Image http://valentinespace.weebly.com/uploads....jpg?811

Edited by MrNobodyX3 - Tuesday, 09.06.2015, 02:19

BlueDracheDate: Tuesday, 09.06.2015, 04:18 | Message # 7
Space Pilot
Group: Users
United States
Make sure you vote in the poll then, on the front page.

Forum » SpaceEngine » Gameplay Discussions » A suggestion regarding planetary rings
Page 1 of 11
Search: