Page 2 of 3«123»
Forum » SpaceEngine » Gameplay Discussions » Gameplay Proposals
Gameplay Proposals
NeonDate: Friday, 08.07.2011, 19:07 | Message # 16
Explorer
Group: SE team
Australia
Sorry for such a late reply Vova, the gameplay you suggested really
disappointed me and I lost alot of interest.

However, to answer your queston regarding my misunderstanding of your
idea of gameplay.

The problem is I can't see where the fun is in this idea. Maybe
it is lost in translation, or maybe your idea of fun is different
to mine.

When I think of research, I'm not thinking of finding interesting
places and sharing it with others. I'm thinking of hard science.

ie finding variable stars, and having the computer analyse their
variability to assist in predicting supernovae. Also, Spectrographs
of stars, planets etc, so when you approach a system (the game
doesn't tell you what planets are there). You run spectrograms
on the star, planets etc to learn what types of stars, planets are
there. So you find that information from the ship, not from the engine.

I want the Engine itself to be in the background, out of sight. So for
example, it doesn't tell me when a supernova is to occur, but I work
it out from the science done on the ship.

How much science I can do is based on the tech. Then the issue
is how to get tech.

To me, these are all fun things to do to aid in exploration.

Sure I still want the real mode where I can just freely explore
the beauty, or work out orbits etc. But the idea of a game
where it does everything, and I'm just along for the ride
is not my idea of fun.

So I'm trying to find where you see the fun in your idea of the
gameplay?

KrovogadDate: Friday, 09.09.2011, 06:36 | Message # 17
Observer
Group: Newbies
Russian Federation
Hello!

Sure, the game should provide player some level of interaction with world, remember the huge admiration of the Minecraft, people building in it Turing machines, math processing units and so on. What if you give to player some possibilities like this: build base from some building blocks, assemble space stations (Purpose? For example, this can be automated telescope, able to scan space and analyze, which system would me most promising for exploration). Even take up something huge together, like, I don't know, Dyson sphere (a metric ton of players required :)). Element of competition also must come in handy. I don't particulariliy like totaly avalibality of resources - this removes the need and purpose to interact with anything. May be diffirentiate ships and make light, fast, longrange and comparatively small scouts for these who like pure exploration and bulky, resorceful motherships for colony builders, which run on heavier and rare elements, what need considerable infrastructure to mine.

EDIT: I just thought that game mode might begin like 'Kerbal Space Program': slap together some rocket and see, if it make it to the orbit biggrin

Edited by Krovogad - Friday, 09.09.2011, 06:40

SpaceEngineerDate: Friday, 09.09.2011, 12:58 | Message # 18
Author of Space Engine
Group: Administrators
Russian Federation
Quote (Neon)
ie finding variable stars, and having the computer analyse their variability to assist in predicting supernovae. Also, Spectrographs of stars, planets etc, so when you approach a system (the game doesn't tell you what planets are there). You run spectrograms on the star, planets etc to learn what types of stars, planets are there. So you find that information from the ship, not from the engine.

Yes, this will be a part of a gameplay. When you enter the system that is not in server database (not being discovered by another player), you can't hit F2 and see the planets. You must make an observation first, collect information about light dots moving around star, that allows ship computer to calculate their orbits. Then you can fly directly to every planet to obtain it's images, launch probes to its orbit, etc. Note that to get full "map" of a planet you must wait until the planet finishes full rotation around its axis (in single player you can simply increase timerate, in multiplayer you can leave some probes orbiting the planet and return to this system several days later). Then you can launch a landing probe to obtain information about atmosphere, surface minerals etc. And finally you can land on a planet yourself in a shuttle and start to build something there.

I have not played Minecraft and can't answer you, if I am able to make such game type play. I think it requires a powerful physics engine, maybe?

YossarianDate: Thursday, 22.09.2011, 23:41 | Message # 19
Observer
Germany
In my opinion one of the core points of player motivation is developement. You have to start small and you be able to become big somehow. This is something, that applies to most games. It's one thing to explore the universe to get nice screenshots, and the other thing to explore the universe to develope your account.

Classic Space Sims using mostly combat and trading as core reasons to explore. Both are not reasonable in this case. Trading is pointless in a endless universe. You have no shortage on resources and the distances between two parties are too large to give trading any meaning. Same for combat.

So, there has to be other focus to develope in space. So, maybe the game core features could be more like master of orion and galactic civilization type of games. You could start with a homeworld, travel through space looking for colony worlds, develope your planets, research techs, deplete planets and all that stuff. At the beginning of the game you could create your own race and give them some specifics such as what kind of planets they need for viability and you would be the flagship commander of your race.

I just think a universe large like that should go away from a small scope such as trading and fighting and aim for something bigger. If you would have a multiplayer part and allow customization, just after a short while you would see the universe to be filled with all kinds of races and interstellar empires by itself and those, who just like to fly around and explore would be able to meet unknown civilizations of other players.

JHillDate: Thursday, 13.10.2011, 22:22 | Message # 20
Observer
Group: Users
United States
Allow us to mark which stars we have been to, exploration would b much less confusing

Sed nos soli stantes. Solus stamus unita.
In multis unum surgimus. Sub una resurgemus totidem.

TwoNybbleDate: Sunday, 11.12.2011, 17:37 | Message # 21
Observer
United States
I agree with most of these ideas here. I also played Orbiter for a long time, and while it is fun figuring everything out, the lack of things to do afterward makes it boring.

Like the posters above have mentioned, development is very important for a good game. The player should start with nothing and slowly be able to become powerful and construct stuff around the universe. It should have somewhat of a Minecraft feel, but not with blocks. Maybe you can purchase or build (out of mining resources) new buildings or structures. Then, the player can place them around the universe. Perhaps some of these buildings could have functions, like mining resources. Parts could also be used to make space stations and beacons. The parts don't even have to be specialized, they could be like shapes so people can use their imagination. This makes them feel more like everything is their creation.

Another important thing would be being able to upgrade your ship how you want. People LOVE customization and often play for hours in games to get the best "stuff." I also don't like the idea of a single mothership. Rather, the player should be able to build hangars or something and store their different ships there. Maybe the ships could be somewhat specialized for certain jobs, like large scale mining. I think there's a lot of potential here.

Being that I am a fan of realism, I think there should be some amount of realism too. Players should not be able to egress without a space suit into an airless world. They should have a limited fuel and oxygen supply that periodically needs to be refilled. Perhaps there can be a kind of health, where it becomes critical in certain conditions, like out in the open on a hot planet. Of course, as part of the customization, shields and protection should be available to counter this. This way, the player will feel like he is getting better as he begins to land on more exotic planets and conquer more.

Also, since I played Orbiter, I believe there should at least be an option for realistic orbital flight within a planetary system. This way, realistic simmers can still feel welcome and play how they want. Like Spaceway, ships should be able to go in and out of the "Warp" mode. Perhaps warp could have a separate fuel from the regular navigation rockets. If you are striving for the game to be easy for the mainstream crowd, maybe have autopilots that can make the burns for the player for interplanetary flight. Simmers could do this manually instead, and everyone will be pleased! smile

The player should be able to get more "warp" as the game goes on, whether it be from resources, or upgrades, etc. This way, the player can't go wherever he wants at first. He needs to work up to conquering the universe. Resources need to be found to increase his range of influence.

I think overall these ideas would make for a fun game that people of all backgrounds would like to play. I believe it lends well to multiplayer in the future as well. Much like Minecraft, groups of players may band together to build their civilization and fend off others in the rest of the galaxy. Those with the most resources will be the most powerful and formidable. Of course multiplayer is likely a long way off.

Thank you for starting the game I have always dreamed of! Also, I do have programming experience if you need assistance with anything.

SpaceEngineerDate: Sunday, 11.12.2011, 23:49 | Message # 22
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
Hi TwoNybble. I have posted here the mothership concept, and prepared a translation from Russian the concept for spaceflight physics. Main flight will use realistic physics, like in Orbiter. Warp will not be "arcade" like in Spaceway. It will preserve energy and momentum, you may think about it as acceleration of physics simulation for the ship. When you engage "warp 3", it will accelerate the ship 1000 of times, but it will still perform its flight on orbit. Calculation of transfer orbit and maneuvers will be performed in a visual way, similar to spline editing in 3D modelling software. Some players don't want to use such hardcore controls, they can use autopilot instead.

Players can have as many ships as they want. They may collect resources and build new ships, stations, bases, cities. Systems with advanced colonies will collect resources and hydrogen (fuel) for themselves and let the player perform immediate refueling and resupplying of any ship, that comes to that system. Any ship can be remote controlled by player from any point using quantum communication devices.

TwoNybbleDate: Monday, 12.12.2011, 00:16 | Message # 23
Observer
United States
Wow. If all those ideas actually work out, this is exactly the game I have been waiting for for 10 years! I will definitely stick around and put in my 2 cents time to time. I think this game has enormous potential. Keep up the incredible work!

Is there a timeline for the implementation of these ideas, or will it just be released as you complete them?

EleSigmaDate: Tuesday, 13.12.2011, 03:16 | Message # 24
Observer
United States
In single-player mode (there is going to be one, right?) an option to disable combat, military weapons, military ships and military production buildings which would allow the player to play a city building like game where he can build at their own leisure and spend more time exploring space or build massive cities, moon colonies, or asteroid mines without fear of a hostile player or AI roaming by and wiping everything out.

Though planetary natural disasters and cosmic disasters should still be enabled to leave a little bit of a challenge. One should know better than to build a space station orbiting a rouge star that's about to pass near a black hole. tongue

Think of it as Noctis with the ability to build things.

Edited by EleSigma - Tuesday, 13.12.2011, 03:23

Lazarou_Monkey_TerrorDate: Thursday, 15.12.2011, 02:29 | Message # 25
Observer
United Kingdom
I'm loving the ideas bounded about so far, I feel that more many of us Space Engine has the potential to be that vast universe many of us want to loose ourselves in, full of adventure, discovery and a struggle towards some kind of goal.

I was wondering what peoples thoughts on the sort of cultures we could encounter on our voyages. It would be a lonely universe without any societies in it. One poster mentioned the idea of building colonies (a world in your own image) with whatever utopian, dystopian or outright bizarre civilisation growing on it. Travellers could visit these worlds, be they on a galactic gazetteer or hitherto undiscovered civilizations who are anything from stone age tribes of cat-people to giant machine consciousnesses deconstructing whole star systems for unfathomable reasons to the rest of us mortals.

I guess I would be partly influenced by the world building of www.orionsarm.com but with a bit more flexibility with the rules. I like hard science fiction rather than the froth of say, Star Wars but I would want this to be fun, to see other users generate unique content on worlds, habitats, ragtag fleets of ships and megastructures because no matter how clever a procedural universe is, it's never going to compete with the vision and inventiveness of the human mind.

I would like to see for example a double planet system where cyborgs have adapted themselves in a freakish way to the harsh challenges of one world and in the process have grown to dominate the low tech inhabitants of their more benign neighbour, demanding tribute from the prims just to amuse themselves (in the sort of way the Olympian gods messed about with Humanity for the lulz!)

There is a whole website of tropes (www.tropes.org) that could be mined for ideas. Yes, we could amuse ourselves by having Klingons and Wookies out there but we could also be creating our own humanoids, aliens, machines and characters.

And for those who don't fancy the hassle of building up cultures and worlds from scratch we have the explorers, trading knowledge, rare objects from far away, digging up deadly artifacts from "The Old Ones", being mercenaries (and beating off one of the Old Ones terrible weapons), helping the oppressed to overthrow their high tech masters or just bumming around the galaxy looking for a next big beach party.

I appreciate this might be asking for a lot of coding, but if this takes off then we the user can create a vast and populated universe full of human input without having to burden the developers. I want imagination to go wild (within the realms of science and technology of course), I want to see the unexpected, to be amazed, shocked and amused. By all means recreate the star system of Firefly or Battlestar Galactica but I also want to see what other crazy ideas you have in your heads, histories that go back thousands or millions of years, a dinosaur planet who have global communism and an addiction to personality altering drug-fruit, a super-terrestrial world ruled by monarchies of genetically engineered bird-humans who thanks to some cultural trade with a passing Terran ship are now hooked on Game of Thrones and have started taking it way too seriously.

One of my bugbears about the legendary game of Frontier Elite II (back in the day!) was that even though I had a whole galaxy to explore, trade and do battle in, human habitation ran out beyond 100 light years and even then most of those worlds were all the same. The game engine was sound, but I wanted variety, I wanted to add my own star systems with all sort of weird and wonderful things.

I hope all this makes sense, and that my vision is not only compatible with this engine but also rings a bell with a lot of you folks out there!

--Laz

DalibirdDate: Friday, 02.11.2012, 23:51 | Message # 26
Observer
Chile
my question is whether it will be an RPG, or something like spore,is that if you include the two would be great and if there are more possibilities if online could generally like wow or different worlds including zombies or something.

you also may be of strategy or adventure but for that you would need a lot of storage, I wonder what kind of game is either going to be space engener and could suggest how you would like the game.

Edited by Dalibird - Friday, 02.11.2012, 23:54

HarbingerDawnDate: Saturday, 03.11.2012, 00:22 | Message # 27
Cosmic Curator
United States
Dalibird, your post should have been put in one of the existing threads about this topic (like this one) rather than in a new thread. Please use the search function or look through the forum before creating a new thread.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

DisasterpieceDate: Saturday, 03.11.2012, 01:09 | Message # 28
World Builder
United States
I think what would be fun is a flight sim on the planets that allows you to have combat with AI (or maybe multiplayer)

I play teh spase engien

JafitDate: Saturday, 03.11.2012, 09:48 | Message # 29
Observer
United Kingdom
Quote (SpaceEngineer)
So, battles will be fast and boring. thus making battles meaningless: What is there to fight for? The universe is so huge, everybody can find thousands of players with the needed resources, and never need to fight with another player for a planet.

I disagree with that idea.

Sure there's plenty of space, there are plenty of planets to build on, but there aren't plenty of Earth-like planets. Every temperate terra I've found so far would still be lethal to any unprotected human that set foot on it, because even if its gravity, temperature, rotational period are all perfect, some people overlook the fact that the average human can't deal with 50 atmospheres of pressure. I've never seen a true Earthlike planet that wasn't placed there by hand in tribute to some sci-fi series like Avatar or Battlestar Galactica. So I think that Earthlike planets could be rare enough to be considered valuable, depending on how fast and how far a player can travel. But even then if the planets themselves aren't valuable, perhaps established populations and developed infrastructure could themselves be valuable enough to spark conflict, established human settlements would probably be the rarest and most valuable thing to other humans in the universe.

Plus we have a tendency to get on each others nerves and we'll fight over any old thing.

From a pure gameplay perspective, I think that having scope for conflict and competition makes a game interesting. The most popular and engaging games, whether they're sporting games or board games or video games, have always had competition and conflict at their heart. Even purely cooperative games will usually have you and your friends battling against some kind of enemy.

You also have to remember that players can be absolute assholes. NASA made Moonbase Alpha, no combat or conflict in it at all, the objective was for players to cooperate and solve mechanical problems on their moonbase. Players would try to complete the puzzles, other players would go around purposefully disconnecting pipes and generally trolling people who were legitimately trying to play the game as it was intended, because messing with people is way more fun than NASA's little puzzles. You are going to have conflict in this game, but it's going to be petty, passive aggressive, backstabbing and unsatisfying for everyone except for the trolls who only play to harvest the tears of those who are trying to play the game properly.

In terms of realism I think it's all a matter of degrees, and what you want to achieve. Understandably you want to give players access to more than one star system, so we have a hyperdrive that doesn't require explanation, that has taken a species that has only just figured out how to rub atoms together for heat, and given them access to the entire universe. If you wanted to you could make space combat possible by contriving some kind of travel mechanics into existence that permit ships to intercept each other and keep each other in visible range for long enough for human pilots to pit their wits, skills and dexterity against each other. I'm not saying lets have X-wings and Tie-fighters having WWII style dogfights in space-air with red and green 'laser' bolts. I think that space combat could still be done in a believable and fun style, even if it's not purely 'realistic' according to Project Rho and their quotes from some guys theorizing about space combat back in 1939.

Edited by Jafit - Saturday, 03.11.2012, 10:01

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Saturday, 03.11.2012, 10:16 | Message # 30
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
Pirate
Quote (Jafit)
some people overlook the fact that the average human can't deal with 50 atmospheres of pressure.

And many people overlook the fact that by the time humanity has the technology to actually get to those places bio engineering and nanotechnology will be readily available for real time adaption to such harsh environments. happy

Humanity is approaching a point where things such as war will be considered menial. Space is vast, technology advances extremely fast, and there are trillions of worlds to be explored.

Quote (Jafit)
You also have to remember that players can be absolute assholes.

Its a big universe it would be extremely hard to run into people. Also it doesn't bother me but vulgarity is against the rules tongue

Quote (Jafit)
You are going to have conflict in this game, but it's going to be petty, passive aggressive, backstabbing and unsatisfying for everyone except for the trolls who only play to harvest the tears of those who are trying to play the game properly.

Once again it is a big universe. Ships are so small in comparison to planets/stars/galaxies/empty space between them.

Quote (Jafit)
So I think that Earthlike planets could be rare enough to be considered valuable, depending on how fast and how far a player can travel.

Things tend to lose a lot of value when you can go galaxy hopping in a few seconds/minutes and scan systems just as fast.

Your ideas are intriguing but seem limited by modern/pre modern ideologies rather than postmodern or post singularity societies that have grown beyond such pettiness.

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

Forum » SpaceEngine » Gameplay Discussions » Gameplay Proposals
Page 2 of 3«123»
Search: