[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 1 of 11
Forum » SpaceEngine » Gameplay Discussions » New "crazy" gameplay idea
New "crazy" gameplay idea
TalynDate: Sunday, 06.05.2012, 01:15 | Message # 1
Explorer
Group: Users
Portugal
Ok this is probably a CRAZY idea, but I’d like to know how crazy / doable it is any anyway.

We already know that you plan to create a “mothership” based on modules that can be upgraded / become available as the tech tree is researched.

Is it a big stretch to also create modules that would allow the player to set up a mining operation in near earth orbit asteroids to gather resources in early stages of the game?

My vision works like this:

The player starts on Earth as the leader of a Space Agency (Public or Private), with a limited budget that would only allow him to send a few Probes to the most promising asteroids, and later, the previously mentioned modules, that only when all assembled on the asteroid would allow the remote mining operations to begin. These operations would eventually yield steady revenue that would allow the player to expand the mining operations to other asteroids, the moon and finally allow the colonization of Mars, and later on, the moons of Jupiter Saturn etc. The space tourism could also be addressed here, with the construction of orbital hotels for the very rich to spend a weekend or a whole week/month, which could become another source of revenue in an early stage, to found research and the expansion of the business. With the idea of a modular space station, it would also be possible to allow the player to customize his space stations to suit his needs, either fully dedicated to Research/tourism or a combination of both (Space Station Manager comes to mind).

The construction of the MotherShip would only become available after reaching a pre-determined level in the tech tree, but as discussed in other threads, with all the limitations of the first inter-stellar ship.

If the previous stage is impossible to create or should the player wish to avoid that slow start, then the upgrades would become the next (or the first) objective, to allow the exploration of even more distant stars.

The player could also be allowed to compete with other Space Agencies controlled by the computer but that should be an option of the player, to go solo or against a computer.

PC: Intel Core2Duo E6850 @ 3.00 GHz & 4GB DDR3 @ 1333 - NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS with 640 MB VRAM
Laptop: Intel Core2Duo T9400 @ 2.53 GHz & 4 GB DDR @ 1066 - NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT

Edited by Talyn - Sunday, 06.05.2012, 01:28

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Sunday, 06.05.2012, 21:48 | Message # 2
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
Pirate
I like this, reminds me of Civilization games. A Civilization style game in space would be pretty awesome, especially on an engine like this.

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

TalynDate: Sunday, 06.05.2012, 23:19 | Message # 3
Explorer
Portugal
Yes, there are some similarities with civilization but they end when we talk about combat.

As we have already discussed in other threads, it just wouldn’t make sense in terms of physics and availability of resources.
The level of micromanagement is what worries me in this concept, because it needs to be very well balanced, in order to give the player the sense that he is in control of all his colonies, without overwhelming him with scores of information and endless options, like we have seen in games like Master of Orion 3, where you can spend an hour just fine tuning the economics of a single planet blink

In Later stages of the game, it would become completely impossible to manage hundreds or thousands of colonies on such a deep level.

One solution that I can think of is to give the player the modules that allow him to build off-world colonies or space-stations, but as soon as the colony/space station is completed, becomes ‘autonomous’, not requiring further intervention from the player.

In the case of off-world colonies, there could also be a possibility of terraforming the planet when the technology becomes available.

PC: Intel Core2Duo E6850 @ 3.00 GHz & 4GB DDR3 @ 1333 - NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS with 640 MB VRAM
Laptop: Intel Core2Duo T9400 @ 2.53 GHz & 4 GB DDR @ 1066 - NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT

SpaceEngineerDate: Monday, 07.05.2012, 12:43 | Message # 4
Author of Space Engine
Group: Administrators
Russian Federation
You are talking about a single-player game. And what about multiplayer? According to my idea the players start with a mother-ship and a full technology-tree available. Players may start exploring the Universe immediately. Building new ships/stations/buildings and colonies etc will take hours or days in real-time. But terraforming is impossible due to real-time scale in the multiplayer game.

TalynDate: Monday, 07.05.2012, 14:19 | Message # 5
Explorer
Portugal
Yes, this idea is for a single player experience, but to some extent, it could also be a noctis style multiplayer experience. As you know, Noctis had a weird (alien) time frame, and we had to stop in orbit of special class stars to refuel for a long time, but the player could make those refueling pit stops real fast, simply by adjusting the system clock to 30 minutes later and restarting the game. Was this cheating? maybe, but the server didn't care about that, the only thing that was important was that catalog that could be uploaded and downloaded to/from the server. The rest of the game was essentially a single player experience.

But even if we discard the first fase, with the mothership as the first stage of the game, it will still take some time to travel to the nearest stars. I don't see how it would be possible to implement a true MMOG experience if each player has the hability to independently fast forward time.

I seem to remember a discussion on another thread where you where suggesting to implement a speed limit inside solar systems to 10.000 Km/s (I may be wrong here). If the players have no possibility to fast forward time, most of them will be bored long before arriving to the edge where the speed can be increased

However, I was just wondering if it is possible to implement this kind of gameplay in SE, given it's current frame of deveplopment, or if it would diverge considerably making it impossible to adopt smile

lexrazorDate: Monday, 07.05.2012, 14:25 | Message # 6
Astronaut
Bulgaria
The way i see things is that at the start every player should be given the same options. Limited resources, limited technology and a limited space for exploring. From that point the players sohould be able to mine for resources so they can research new technology unlocking new buildings, ships, technology and of course more space for exploring. In my opinion the researching and building options in FreeOrion could suit the gameplay pretty well here. Space Engine is supposed to be a MMO game so i dont think a single player option is needed. Take other MMO games for example - the have a straight storyline but every player is given the chance to build their character in their own unique way. Thats why i think the story and character development models introduced in The Secret World is very suitable here too. Players have the vastness of space and can go where ever they want and do whatever they want and have their own unique story. The same can be introduced in Space Engine in my opinion. There are countless of galaxies and stars and planets in SE so the player should be able to go to which ever place he/she feels like and see explore, make contact with other species, mine, develop new technology, research unique artifacts and really anything thats possible considering the level of evolution of the player.

Hasforjs97Date: Saturday, 02.06.2012, 07:14 | Message # 7
Space Pilot
Group: Translators
Spain
Like some kind of OGame, but with SE? It would also be nice to have a Spore-like game...

My desktop:
Pentium G3260 @ 3.30GHz
8.0 GB DDR3
AMD Radeon HD 5570 1GB

TalynDate: Saturday, 02.06.2012, 10:55 | Message # 8
Explorer
Portugal
I'm sorry but don't think OGAME is even remotely close to my suggestion.
I never played it, but it looks like so many other browser games, where you need to pick up resources to develop your town/planet/empire, only to wage war against other players

neutronium76Date: Saturday, 02.06.2012, 18:16 | Message # 9
World Builder
Greece
Quote (Talyn)
Ok this is probably a CRAZY idea, but I’d like to know how crazy / doable it is any anyway.

We already know that you plan to create a “mothership” based on modules that can be upgraded / become available as the tech tree is researched.

Is it a big stretch to also create modules that would allow the player to set up a mining operation in near earth orbit asteroids to gather resources in early stages of the game?

My vision works like this:

The player starts on Earth as the leader of a Space Agency (Public or Private), with a limited budget that would only allow him to send a few Probes to the most promising asteroids, and later, the previously mentioned modules, that only when all assembled on the asteroid would allow the remote mining operations to begin. These operations would eventually yield steady revenue that would allow the player to expand the mining operations to other asteroids, the moon and finally allow the colonization of Mars, and later on, the moons of Jupiter Saturn etc. The space tourism could also be addressed here, with the construction of orbital hotels for the very rich to spend a weekend or a whole week/month, which could become another source of revenue in an early stage, to found research and the expansion of the business. With the idea of a modular space station, it would also be possible to allow the player to customize his space stations to suit his needs, either fully dedicated to Research/tourism or a combination of both (Space Station Manager comes to mind).

The construction of the MotherShip would only become available after reaching a pre-determined level in the tech tree, but as discussed in other threads, with all the limitations of the first inter-stellar ship.

If the previous stage is impossible to create or should the player wish to avoid that slow start, then the upgrades would become the next (or the first) objective, to allow the exploration of even more distant stars.

The player could also be allowed to compete with other Space Agencies controlled by the computer but that should be an option of the player, to go solo or against a computer.

I like this idea. Yes, it mostly describes a single player game but it can be expanded in order to include multi player and it would also avoid the very likely possibility that players using the mothership concept and each one starting on a diffrent part of the universe will most likely never interact with each other in our life time-frame, even more in a game's timeframe.

If you take this idea for a moment and expand it: Each player will be running his own corporation/small company but we all start from the same single terra planet with life (earth or another one) which orbits a sol-type star. The simulated time can be pre-adjusted from the server or from the moderator or there could be various time-speed options like 2x , 4x, etc that all players playing together on the same game session will have to agree upon. Now there could be roles for each player: One is the CEO/president/head of the corporation (the one that is hosting the game most likely). He is the one that is taking the most risks financewise: He decides how to spend the money he starts with, in what fields of science and technology to invest, what people to employ (real people not bots!), etc, etc. Now this role would apply to some of us but not all of us. So the rest of us (the mere mortal ones cool ) can join someone's corporation and be his slaves err I mean his colleages biggrin . Obviously he will have the right to fire us or promote us or even kill/execute us devil or we could slowly acquire power and take over the company or take with us his best teamates for our cause (Viva la revolution!) - the possibilities are endless!! But we all start from the same part of the universe and slowly expand. Now the creator Vlad could place hidden mysterious worlds, black holes floating hidden in interstellar space, other terras with life, and other goodies and badies all over the universe for us to discover. This doesn't necceseraly mean he will know where these places are - it coud be an algorithm - programming code that will dipserse these places all over the universe with a probability factor "x". Now one thing that I would like to note here conserning terras with life : These should be really really rare to find and the least probability factor should be used - space is a hostile place for life and earth-like planets are like an oasis in a desert. But there could be other completely different life forms based on other elements not known to us or not based on elements at all! for example it could be pure energy living in the core of a giant star or very close to stars so that they absorb the radiation and breathe gamma rays wacko from black holes surprised . Anyway maybe I ve gone too far with this...

PC1:Core i7 970@3.34GHz, 6 cores/12 threads, 12GB DDR3 RAM@1.34GHz, 2x(SLI) GTX-580 GPUs 3GB VRAM(GDDR5)@1GHz, OS:Win7x64SP1
PC2:Core2Quad X9770@3.2GHz, 2 cores/4 threads 4GB DDR2 RAM@1GHz, GTX-285 GPU 1GB VRAM(DDR3)@1.24GHz, OS:WinVistax64SP2

Forum » SpaceEngine » Gameplay Discussions » New "crazy" gameplay idea
Page 1 of 11
Search: