Page 2 of 3«123»
Forum » SpaceEngine » Gameplay Discussions » Noctis-Style Gameplay
Noctis-Style Gameplay
curiousepicDate: Monday, 12.12.2011, 20:31 | Message # 16
Space Pilot
Group: SE team
United States
Quote (SpaceEngineer)
I plan to introduce this into the game as far as it becomes ready. Once the game server is launched, it will never stop, and the game will be upgraded continuously from there on. No transition to version 2.0, 3.0 etc. This is similarly to what Eve online does. All game upgrades will appear as progress of in-game civilizations develop.

This is an interesting idea, I like this concept. We start with the most basic levels of technology, and as new tech is developed and introduced into the game, it will spread slowly, and affect the evolution of the galactic culture as players adapt to it.

However, I would worry about potential issues when implementing a new feature. There may be some feature that would require players to lose ships or buildings, etc. Updates to procedural generation may mean a building that was on land would end up in the ocean, etc. This can be seen in Minecraft's history. The game may need to carry a "Beta" designation for a long time.

My ideal preferences for visual design of the mothership and technology in SE
Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality

AmwhereDate: Saturday, 17.12.2011, 04:22 | Message # 17
Astronaut
Group: Users
United States
I like this idea too - and if a patch needs a radical change to the universe.... welp, I guess we are in a false vacuum! smile

TalismanDate: Saturday, 17.12.2011, 05:32 | Message # 18
Pioneer
United States
I just can't wait for networking, I would love to be in a two-player coop ship and explore the universe with a friend, roleplaying for example trying to find a suitable place to land and such.

Will you be able to walk around inside ships in first person mode? Or will you essentially "be" the ship, it could be neat to walk around and look out tiny observation windows in a two seater shuttle.

curiousepicDate: Saturday, 17.12.2011, 16:19 | Message # 19
Space Pilot
Group: SE team
United States
Will you be able to walk around inside ships in first person mode? Or will you essentially "be" the ship, it could be neat to walk around and look out tiny observation windows in a two seater shuttle.

Ship interiors are on the TODO list.

But, human animation is difficult, and similar to complex life, I'd rather lack it than it be done badly. My proposal:

The player character is usually going to be in fluid immersion in order to handle the up to 20 Gs of acceleration needed for gameplay. I imagine this is within a relatively small (3-4 meter) "pod". The player's "view" is either through augmented reality pumped directly to the player character's brain or retinas, or it is displayed on the interior of this sphere. The preceding has been mentioned by SpaceEngineer. My additions would be:

This pod could represent the player in all instances. It rests in the heart of the mothership when piloting it, but it is transferred to various exploration and auxiliary vehicles such as the spaceplane and rocket. This would allow these vehicles to perform up to 20Gs as well. It would also act as a kind of lifeboat in emergencies, and be virtually indestructable (except perhaps for permadeath via black hole biggrin , and capable of a one-use return to the mothership via an efficient built-in rocket (perhaps it uses all unnecessary components of the pod as reaction mass).

My ideal preferences for visual design of the mothership and technology in SE
Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality

Edited by curiousepic - Saturday, 17.12.2011, 16:25

SpaceEngineerDate: Saturday, 17.12.2011, 17:02 | Message # 20
Author of Space Engine
Group: Administrators
Russian Federation
At first release, animated character will not be represented in game. But I will add it as soon as someone makes a man model with complex animation with walking, moon-style jumping, flying in zero gravity!

RaXaRDate: Thursday, 26.01.2012, 18:36 | Message # 21
Observer
South Africa
Hi there smile I recently found this game and wow! What a great game. The first thing I searched for on the forums was 'Noctis' biggrin Please do go this direction. Personally I think Noctis is an amazing game and it's focus on Exploration instead of combat is a big plus. The consoles on the walls of the ship in Noctis was really good. If you could do this in a similar fashion then I think many of us will throw money at you biggrin Anyway, keep up the great work.

GfamadDate: Thursday, 26.01.2012, 19:02 | Message # 22
Observer
Group: Newbies
France
Hello,

I totally agree with RaXaR ! I discovered the principle of Noctis a few weeks ago and I found it great. So this kind of gameplay in Space Engine could be great !

I will also bash again an open door, but if you look carefully at the videogame microcosm, you will see that the space sim category seems to be back after a decade of silence. Evochron on Steam (Ok, it's an old game...) X3 Albion and 'soon' X rebirth, Minerwars, Pioneer... Second aspect, the public had recently discovered the power of procedural generated world with... Minecraft.

So, IMO, the time is good for the come back of a procedural space sim with a Noctis-like discovering aspect because people like discovering new place that are not specially hand crafted. Show a Mandelbox to anyone and you will understand what I am talking about tongue

As I said, I believe in this project but more important (for the Dev !), I believe that the public is ready for such a project.

matty406Date: Friday, 27.01.2012, 02:59 | Message # 23
Astronaut
United Kingdom
Just played Noctis, very nice thought to go in that direction, it's really quite immersive.

jtmedinaDate: Saturday, 28.01.2012, 01:44 | Message # 24
Space Pilot
Spain
It's good to see the Space Engine project is progressing with more features coming.

COL3Date: Friday, 06.04.2012, 02:05 | Message # 25
Observer
United States
I love the idea of making a realistic space colonization simulator, matching the natural beauty of space with a sci fi twist. I keeping finding more awesome possibilities with this program.

DoctorDukeDate: Friday, 06.04.2012, 16:29 | Message # 26
Space Tourist
Netherlands
I wonder if making contact with alien spiecies is also implented?

SpaceEngineerDate: Friday, 06.04.2012, 16:52 | Message # 27
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
Only if someone discovers how to implement realistic procedural alien civilizations.

ShadowstarDate: Friday, 27.04.2012, 11:00 | Message # 28
Observer
United States
I loved Noctis. I catalogued quite a few planets. I wonder if anyone can find them. I used the name Shadowstar. Anyway, this would be an interesting angle for SE, though it seems to me that the engine is flexible enough for a huge variety of game types. My introduction to space flight games was Elite on my C64 in the 80's, but then I played Starflight (which was actually an RPG not a simulator) and loved the feeling of exploring part of the galaxy over the feeling of trading/fighting in a populated galaxy. Both games have their charms but I'm more of an explorer and a loner. That's probably why Noctis appealed to me so much. There you have your ship, and you can go anywhere you want, with no-one to tell you what to do. I like the idea of that for SE. I don't care so much if there is or isn't combat. I'm an ace at space combat games so I can handle it. On the one hand, combat is kind of a part of life, but on the other hand, space is really empty, so it would be very rare (unless you're in the military which is not really the point here as I understand). What I would like to see is just more stuff. That is, space phenomena, animals, plants, ruins, anomalies, mysteries, etc. Just stuff. Fun stuff, stuff that makes you go "huh", and "Wow", and want to take screenshots. And more ways to interact with the stuff: like collecting samples/specimens, performing experiments, running scans, maybe even selling the data from your science to buy upgrades or perhaps having the science system implemented something like a crafting system where instead of making items, you're formulating theories and then trying to prove them - using what you find "out there.".

Glitches can produce interesting things too (if you have a good imagination), but I say embrace the concept - maybe a glitch can be polished and worked into a feature. Not the ugly or bad glitches of course - I'm talking about the interesting or pretty ones. SE has a few. Like when the star starts flashing different colors for no reason. I always liked to think it was some kind of heretofore unknown stellar phenomena. And who's to say there aren't stars that can appear to fluctuate colors when you're close enough to them. We understand about 1% of the stuff in the universe. The rest of it we can only imagine and wonder about.

A good space sim would have to take that into account.

KillallewoksDate: Friday, 27.04.2012, 15:07 | Message # 29
Observer
United Kingdom
Have you considerd to have Wormholes? That would be a great edition for exploration purposes and add that little extra variety.

SpaceEngineerDate: Friday, 27.04.2012, 15:11 | Message # 30
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
Wormholes are hypotetical objects, so I will not implement them in SE, because the main goal of SE is realism. Also, a wormhole's metrics is similar to a black hole's metrics, so any space ship will be broken into pieces by tidal forces while approaching the wormhole.

Forum » SpaceEngine » Gameplay Discussions » Noctis-Style Gameplay
Page 2 of 3«123»
Search: