Русский New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 4 of 6«123456»
Forum » SpaceEngine » Gameplay Discussions » How space battles would be in SE?
How space battles would be in SE?
IdgeliosDate: Monday, 28.07.2014, 08:52 | Message # 46
Astronaut
Group: Users
United States
I doubt there'd be any economic incentive to space battles since every player pretty much would have entire galactic clusters to themselves. Any space battles will probably be done out of wanting to commence in a space battle or simulate one. Great thing about space engine is that there's billions of PvP maps to choose from.

Edited by Idgelios - Monday, 28.07.2014, 08:57

BlueDracheDate: Monday, 28.07.2014, 13:22 | Message # 47
Space Pilot
United States
Why fight at all? There is all of space for us to explore.

FastFourierTransformDate: Monday, 28.07.2014, 13:52 | Message # 48
Pioneer
Group: Local Moderators
Spain
Quote BlueDrache ()

Glory to your words!!

SalvoDate: Monday, 28.07.2014, 15:52 | Message # 49
Star Engineer
Group: Local Moderators
Italy
Quote FastFourierTransform ()
Glory to your words!!

Agree!

The only reason to make a game with SE and implement battles is to give it a goal, or to give challenge to players playing online. But I agree that a large-scale society might stay in peace without any kind of fight.

The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: ASUS Radeon R9 270 RAM: 8 GBs

(still don't know why everyone is doing this...)

Edited by Salvo - Monday, 28.07.2014, 15:53

Antza2Date: Thursday, 07.08.2014, 22:48 | Message # 50
World Builder
Group: Global Moderators
Finland
Quote BlueDrache ()

I agree with this 100%

Go to antza2.deviantart.com for cool photos!

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Friday, 08.08.2014, 00:35 | Message # 51
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
Pirate
Quote BlueDrache ()

Earth is mine and I will die trying to conquer it because controlling Earth makes me important in a virtual world.

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

BlueDracheDate: Monday, 11.08.2014, 01:51 | Message # 52
Space Pilot
United States
Quote DoctorOfSpace ()
Earth is mine and I will die trying to conquer it because controlling Earth makes me important in a virtual world.

Have at it. I'm in a military grade ship with a primary goal of exploration two or three galactic arms away from your shenanigans and most likely off the radar by now. The crew is of like mind and entirely voluntary. I guarantee that lifeboats were made available and not a single one has been launched. If necessary, I can found a colony, otherwise, the ship (barring catastrophic failure) and the crew are self-replenishing.

Mark12345Date: Wednesday, 13.08.2014, 17:57 | Message # 53
Observer
Group: Newbies
United Kingdom
I'd like to see more of a simulation / exploration type game, though I'm not averse to the occasional battle smile If the technological development of a civilization capable of interstellar, let alone intergalactic travel is modeled I would doubt that economics would be a significant factor, if you can travel light-year distances then you have plenty of energy, nano-tech would make manufacturing redundant and AI may well make intellectual property redundant, taking into account the singularity. However, this may not make for exciting game-play as humans would just be passengers. I agree with previous posts that combat, if it happened, would be more like submarine combat. Detection would be important, perhaps manipulating complex sensor arrays, positioning, choosing the right trajectory to minimize maneuvering, which would give your position away, and stealth, reducing your signature to the minimum and perhaps even presenting a false signature. I certainly wouldn't like the traditional WW2 style of combat most space games use. If SE was to become a simulator it would be bound to be a niche market. Would the developer be happy with that? I hope so.

GameQB11Date: Sunday, 24.08.2014, 22:05 | Message # 54
Observer
Group: Newbies
United States
IMO this game doesnt NEED space battles. There is no need to assume other civilizations will be "kill on sight" hostile. They could be scientist just like us. This game should focus more on making discovery of the universe into a fun and challennging game/adventure.

That said, i wouldnt mind seeing realistic space battles done right. But It shoudl be a goal AFTER the main game.

Edited by GameQB11 - Sunday, 24.08.2014, 22:06

schwarzwolfDate: Monday, 25.08.2014, 19:24 | Message # 55
Astronaut
Germany
Quote "DoctorOfSpace"

I would suggest to make Earth a neutral place. Already populated and controlled by npcs or the devs.

Quote "GameQB11"
IMO this game doesnt NEED space battles. There is no need to assume other civilizations will be "kill on sight" hostile. They could be scientist just like us. This game should focus more on making discovery of the universe into a fun and challennging game/adventure.

This might be true for a large part of the community. But implementing weapons, will show, that many peoples would prefer another game style.

Quote "GameQB11"
That said, i wouldnt mind seeing realistic space battles done right. But It shoudl be a goal AFTER the main game.

This should be indeed a given. Weapons shouldn't be one of the first things implemented. When the basic game is running fine, then they can be implemented.

I personally would aswell suggest to give the server admins (if peoples can create their own servers), the ability to disable combat on their server. Possible aswell, that there could be two different servers, one with pvp and one without.

I would aswell prefer a non pvp playstyle, but would be happy to see some weapons for the single player game to play around with in an own sandbox.

Zaddy23Date: Thursday, 18.09.2014, 05:17 | Message # 56
Space Pilot
Australia
I'd like to imagine how it would work is there would be massive carriers that pass through jumpgates (saves a lot of work/money with alcubierre drives and the like post macro-wormhole technology, since at that point the ships no longer need a drive of their own) then release a swarm of tiny fighter drones. For how they would fly I'd imagine something like KSP's ship physics.

The Jumpgate idea would certainly create some interesting political/kaboomy style battles between factions over gate supremacy, and create opportunities for establishments/outposts to be made around them (kind of like how towns used to crop up around maintenance junctions on early steam train railroads).

I envision jumpgates being built in orbit around a habitable planet/moon over the course of a few months, linking them up to one back home, testing it, then finally using them to mass import colonization materials.

Ahhh, I love my imagination. crazy

Along with fezes and bowties, brown dwarves are cool.

HarbingerDawnDate: Thursday, 18.09.2014, 05:59 | Message # 57
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Quote Zaddy23 ()
I'd like to imagine how it would work is there would be massive carriers that pass through jumpgates

That certainly won't happen since SE is focused on being as realistic as possible. That does not include jumpgates.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

Zaddy23Date: Friday, 19.09.2014, 00:06 | Message # 58
Space Pilot
Australia
Quote HarbingerDawn ()
That certainly won't happen since SE is focused on being as realistic as possible. That does not include jumpgates.

I'd imagine that they are fairly realistic, all you need is something to keep them open. And if we can already teleport photons across rivers then by 21XX I'd certainly imagine that we could transport larger things through them. As I said, the problem is keeping them open. If the ships in SE are advanced enough to have Alcubierre drives, then wormholes should be a cinch.
Also, it seems that making an Alcubierre drive has two "difficult" requirements. First, it requires the use of negative mass-energy.

Negative mass/energy is also needed in the process of keeping wormholes open... so I just assumed it would be cheaper to build wormhole "Jumpgates" rather than install and Alcubierre drive on all of the ships.

Edited by Zaddy23 - Friday, 19.09.2014, 00:06

HarbingerDawnDate: Friday, 19.09.2014, 00:49 | Message # 59
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Quote Zaddy23 ()
If the ships in SE are advanced enough to have Alcubierre drives, then wormholes should be a cinch.

Simply creating a wormhole is radically different from creating and maintaining a wormhole that can be safely and repeatedly traversed. The jumpgate system also restricts your movement. You can only go to places where jumpgates have been set up. For SE, this makes no sense, you have a universe with a nearly infinite number of star systems, but you can only go to a few dozen or so? Whatever the future of SE might hold, it will definitely have a means of moving around the universe that does not restrict the players.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

Edited by HarbingerDawn - Friday, 19.09.2014, 00:50

Zaddy23Date: Friday, 19.09.2014, 00:58 | Message # 60
Space Pilot
Australia
Quote HarbingerDawn ()
The jumpgate system also restricts your movement.

Ah ok, I see the major flaw in my idea now. Having wormholes would restrict movement quite a large amount.

Forum » SpaceEngine » Gameplay Discussions » How space battles would be in SE?
Page 4 of 6«123456»
Search: