RUS New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 1 of 6123456»
Forum » SpaceEngine » Gameplay Discussions » How space battles would be in SE?
How space battles would be in SE?
CesrateDate: Sunday, 12.01.2014, 05:39 | Message # 1
Astronaut
Group: Users
China
Notice that SE follows the "real space physics" rather than copying pop space-fi games. It is quite rare as there're not much games in this style, like Orbiter(which is a simulator), KSP(simulation game but not sci-fi) and Infinity(the closest one to SE, but... don't know when it will release).

Back on topic, space battles in SE and other space-fi won't be alike. What do you think of it?

Edited by Cesrate - Sunday, 12.01.2014, 05:39

Inerri_SolbiriDate: Sunday, 12.01.2014, 08:52 | Message # 2
Observer
Group: Newbies
Russian Federation
Here is discussion of battles from russian forum, it's google translatable well enough

Can't wait for it...

CesrateDate: Sunday, 12.01.2014, 09:35 | Message # 3
Astronaut
China
Quote Inerri_Solbiri ()
it's google translatable well enough

Though I strongly doubt that the content seems to be very good... Can you give some descriptions in brief, about what SpaceEngineer thought? I really can't understand Google translation well...

And good for your avatar:)

Edit: Ahh alright I tried English, it seems to be more understandable.

Edited by Cesrate - Sunday, 12.01.2014, 09:41

apenpaapDate: Sunday, 12.01.2014, 14:08 | Message # 4
World Builder
Antarctica
It would be very interesting to see realistic space battles. There would probably be a lot of orbital manoeuvring even with very long-range weapons. The Kessler effect would also be a serious concern.

I occasionally stream at http://www.twitch.tv/magistermystax. Sometimes SE, sometimes other games.

DisasterpieceDate: Sunday, 12.01.2014, 17:52 | Message # 5
World Builder
United States
Quote apenpaap ()
The Kessler effect would also be a serious concern.

I have always thought that the Kessler effect would be a great way to imprison large amounts of people on a body. It would also be a great defense mechanism (in a final stand/resort sort of way).

I play teh spase engien

apenpaapDate: Sunday, 12.01.2014, 20:13 | Message # 6
World Builder
Antarctica
Yeah, the Kessler effect would be able to be weaponised to isolate a planet.

I occasionally stream at http://www.twitch.tv/magistermystax. Sometimes SE, sometimes other games.

JCandeiasDate: Sunday, 12.01.2014, 20:41 | Message # 7
Pioneer
Group: Translators
Portugal
Quote Disasterpiece ()
It would also be a great defense mechanism (in a final stand/resort sort of way).

I don't think so. It's a serious threat to orbital objects, but you don't need to be in orbit to fire missiles at a planet, or even at very specific locations in the planet. Furthermore, missiles can be pretty small, and even if a few are disabled en route, most will get through even the most extreme kessler clouds, especially if they can cross them fast. The Kessler effect is a major threat to orbiting vessels, stations and satellites, but that's about it.

They let me use this!

Inerri_SolbiriDate: Sunday, 12.01.2014, 21:04 | Message # 8
Observer
Group: Newbies
Russian Federation
I wonder why players will have to compete at all, with this amount of worlds the spoils must be truly unique (spice? smile )

And yes scattering enemy with debris of my own ship is going to be fun biggrin

By the way, is it known if it will be open-world-PvP-whether-you-want-it-or-not MMO a-la EVE?

Quote Cesrate ()
And good for your avatar:)

谢谢, 我学汉语, 但它是非常困难的 smile

DisasterpieceDate: Sunday, 12.01.2014, 21:07 | Message # 9
World Builder
United States
Quote Inerri_Solbiri ()
By the way, is it known if it will be open-world-PvP-whether-you-want-it-or-not MMO a-la EVE?

In multiplayer SE (this is all conjecture, the game is pretty far off) you would be safe from PVP provided you stayed out of the central, popular systems. As you move from there, it will become less likely for you to be in the same system as someone else.

I play teh spase engien

HarbingerDawnDate: Monday, 13.01.2014, 00:04 | Message # 10
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Quote Inerri_Solbiri ()

There will be little or no combat, and even direct encounters with other players will be almost impossible unless you contact someone and arrange a meeting. Space is very big, and the odds of encountering others are small.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

TunaOfSpaceDate: Monday, 13.01.2014, 22:48 | Message # 11
Observer
Canada
Quote HarbingerDawn ()
There will be little or no combat, and even direct encounters with other players will be almost impossible unless you contact someone and arrange a meeting. Space is very big, and the odds of encountering others are small.

I anticipate that there will always be some contested commongrounds. The Sol system, for example (and many surrounding stars), may always be comparatively busy and, thus, rather dangerous. Procedural systems in Andromeda on the other hand will be quite the opposite (or anywhere far from Earth for that matter).

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Monday, 13.01.2014, 23:05 | Message # 12
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
Pirate
I think once you get away from the well known stars the likelihood of running into anyone becomes basically 0. Planets are pretty big anyway so even if Earth is the busiest place in the game there would be little to no concern of running into anyone unless they specifically target you. Even if PVP exists within the game the chances of you being randomly killed are slim to none.

The misconception I see from people is they use games like EVE, Evochron, Star trek Online, and other Space games in comparison to SE. These games use a condensed universe which basically forces players within a limited box, SE is a realistically scaled universe where even the largest ship is abysmally small compared to most of the planets.

The only part of the game that increases your likelihood of running into people is visiting famous landmarks, visiting stations, or staying in one spot for a very long time.

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

HarbingerDawnDate: Monday, 13.01.2014, 23:38 | Message # 13
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Quote TunaOfSpace ()
The Sol system, for example (and many surrounding stars), may always be comparatively busy and, thus, rather dangerous

Keep in mind the scale of the universe. Even just within the Sol system there is a vast amount of space, more than enough room for everyone, so the only reason to attack anyone would be just for sport or bloodlust, and given how much expense would be incurred by attacking someone it would probably not be worth it to attack a random player when there is nothing to gain by doing so. So I foresee most combat being between consenting players who know each other, or perhaps in situations where there is actually something of value at stake (which would probably be quite rare given the size of the universe).

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

TunaOfSpaceDate: Monday, 13.01.2014, 23:41 | Message # 14
Observer
Canada
Quote DoctorOfSpace ()
The misconception I see from people is they use games like EVE, Evochron, Star trek Online, and other Space games in comparison to SE. These games use a condensed universe which basically forces players within a limited box, SE is a realistically scaled universe where even the largest ship is abysmally small compared to most of the planets.

The only part of the game that increases your likelihood of running into people is visiting famous landmarks, visiting stations, or staying in one spot for a very long time.

I agree very strongly. Eve is a travesty in many ways, but what killed it for me was the scale. It's huge, but by virtue of mechanics the entirety of gameplay occurs in about 1% of that space (immediately near stations/gates, asteroid belts, etc).

Depending on how intelligence works in SE (radar and other forms of detection) it may be entirely possible to remain largely out of sight from other players in orbit over the same planet, and if fuel is a limitless resource then avoiding incoming subluminal attacks will be as simple as translating for several seconds to put you clear out of harm's way. An assailant would need to be very skilled at interception (and very patient in doing so) to pose any significant threat to another orbiting spacecraft.

It's worth noting that, in the absence of some sort of hyperspace jamming mechanics, starships will be nigh impossible to intercept. Potential solutions for that could be making the use of hyperdrive very uneconomical (high activation cost, long cool-down), and/or very vulnerable to overheating (attacker disables defender's radiators, thus denying the use of hyperdrive and other thermally-inefficient functions).

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Monday, 13.01.2014, 23:49 | Message # 15
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
Pirate
Quote HarbingerDawn ()
So I foresee most combat being between consenting players who know each other, or perhaps in situations where there is actually something of value at stake

in an online MMO environment where people can build bases I can only see a few areas like this, the majority of which would be on Earth. Tons of players are going to want to conquer and take over where they live or other large sections on Earth and so I can see land on Earth as a place you would want to avoid.

Mars has a few landmarks I can think of off the top of my head where people will fight to control it. The Moon would be a perfect place to launch attacks from at people who are on the Earth fighting and the moon has some famous landmarks as well.

Other areas of minor conflict would probably be on famous moons like Europa and Titan.

None of those are really about value of an object but simply about being able to boast. Leave it to a sandbox open world environment to bring the worst out in people.

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

Forum » SpaceEngine » Gameplay Discussions » How space battles would be in SE?
Page 1 of 6123456»
Search: