Русский New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 1 of 11
Forum » SpaceEngine » Gameplay Discussions » [suggestion] WingCommander - Privateer TCM
[suggestion] WingCommander - Privateer TCM
privateerDate: Wednesday, 20.02.2013, 14:05 | Message # 1
Observer
Group: Newbies
United States
Although this game is interesting, and set in a vastly diverse universe filled with beautifully rendered textures..

assuming your not a scientist, or imaginative exploring hobbyist.. why not build more scripting syntax compatibility's
into this space engine so others can use the engine as a platform to build their own space games into it?

as beautiful as this all is, it gets dull pretty fast.. floating around without anything to do but observing stars?

I have noticed the ability to import ship model meshes which is a good start but, I think I speak for millions of people
who grew up playing old blocky graphical space Sims in saying what people would really like to see happen is a
modernized Total Conversion Mod for something like Wing Commander Privateer Gold.

Trading with Docking port Stations on planets/Space Stations to make profits to upgrade your ships & Equipment to
fend off pesky space pirates! or, perhaps join a Merchants guild, Mercenary Guild and accomplish missions or follow
a darker path becoming a pirate.

All the game needs is a way to add a docking menu screen, items to purchase & sell, and variable prices set randomly
per item depending on what the item is and where you are in the system.

to give developers a simple idea of how it should all work you can simply download the "very small" classic
privateer gemeni an opensource game for preview

here: http://privateer.sourceforge.net/files.shtml
file size: 306 mb ..yes, that's megabytes

Edited by privateer - Wednesday, 20.02.2013, 14:07

TimDate: Wednesday, 20.02.2013, 15:08 | Message # 2
Explorer
Group: Users
Belgium
1. This is not the suggestions board.
2. It's been said many times before, but SE will be mostly about exploring and not about combat. It's focussing on realism and hunting down other ships in the immense vasts of space is highly unrealistic.

HarbingerDawnDate: Wednesday, 20.02.2013, 21:01 | Message # 3
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
privateer, you don't seem to be understanding what SpaceEngine is...

It is a 3D planetarium software that is meant to recreate the universe as realistically as possible and allow you to go to different worlds. It is for personal enjoyment with regards to seeing astronomical phenomena and for educational purposes. It is also unfinished, and still in a beta state. Much more will still be added in the future.

After the planetarium software is complete, the developer wants to make an actual game based on this engine. He also would like to release an SDK so that others can develop their own games from it. If all you want is actual gameplay and not just exploring the wonders of an infinite universe, then check back in a year or two when it's done.

You should also read around the different gameplay discussion threads to get a sense of what the developer has in mind for the eventual game.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

TimDate: Wednesday, 20.02.2013, 22:59 | Message # 4
Explorer
Group: Users
Belgium
You may find this interesting.

NeonDate: Thursday, 11.07.2013, 06:02 | Message # 5
Explorer
Group: SE team
Australia
I said this a long time ago.. the idea of developing SE as two seperate entities.

1. A game

and 2, and Engine that can be used to build any space based game. Having both
allows much more diversifitcation of possible revenues from SE, so he can build
income from developers of games, and also maybe from players.

Seems a logical option for me since the only real change would be to add the
ability for scripting events for the "Engine" side for developers, of course this
would mean reducing the depth of SE for the developers so it contains a very
small galaxy.

Then you still have the vast emptiness of the Universe for the diehard players
of the full SE game with all the galaxies.

HarbingerDawnDate: Thursday, 11.07.2013, 06:11 | Message # 6
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Quote (Neon)
I said this a long time ago.. the idea of developing SE as two seperate entities.

This is - and as far as I know has always been - the plan. Vladimir will develop his own games from the engine, as well as selling the engine to other developers to use in their own games. That's the basic plan as I understand it.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

Forum » SpaceEngine » Gameplay Discussions » [suggestion] WingCommander - Privateer TCM
Page 1 of 11
Search: