Русский New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 1 of 11
Forum » SpaceEngine » Gameplay Discussions » Orbital Maneuver Planning System in KSP
Orbital Maneuver Planning System in KSP
curiousepicDate: Wednesday, 12.12.2012, 03:38 | Message # 1
Space Pilot
Group: SE team
United States
If you haven't played Kerbal Space Program recently, you should. Their recent 0.18 update added the Flight Planning/Maneuver Node tool, which is an incredibly elegant and intuitive way to create orbital maneuvers and aid in executing them. This is the kind of interface I had in mind for navigating within star systems in Space Engine.

Here are a couple videos demonstrating it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?f....#t=692s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99UIrrsu0x0

My ideal preferences for visual design of the mothership and technology in SE
Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality

HarbingerDawnDate: Wednesday, 12.12.2012, 03:58 | Message # 2
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
curiousepic, there is a video game thread here already, perhaps that would be a better place to post about KSP...

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

curiousepicDate: Wednesday, 12.12.2012, 16:39 | Message # 3
Space Pilot
United States
Sorry, I guess it wasn't clear that I'm submitting this concept as a gameplay suggestion/inspiration for Space Engine. As far as I know, it's the only visual interface ever created for orbital maneuvers. It seems like this kind of movement will be the bread and butter of moving around in systems in SE, and this seems like a very good solution. So, submitted as inspiration for SpaceEngineer.

smjjamesDate: Wednesday, 12.12.2012, 16:45 | Message # 4
World Builder
Group: Users
United States
I'm with curiousepic here, an orbital maneuver planning system would definetly be cool.

HarbingerDawnDate: Wednesday, 12.12.2012, 17:57 | Message # 5
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (smjjames)
I'm submitting this concept as a gameplay suggestion for Space Engine

Ok.

I would personally like to see an interface more similar to Orbiter than KSP, I feel that would better fit the feel of the program, but maybe something similar to this could be implemented too.

One important thing to remember though when it comes to what can be implemented in SE is that SE is being developed almost entirely by one person, whereas KSP has many. So with KSP they can be a bit gung ho implementing features, while for SE features would need to be planned more carefully.

My SE mods and addons

jtmedinaDate: Wednesday, 12.12.2012, 19:20 | Message # 6
Space Pilot
Spain
Quote (curiousepic)
If you haven't played Kerbal Space Program recently, you should. Their recent 0.18 update added the Flight Planning/Maneuver Node tool, which is an incredibly elegant and intuitive way to create orbital maneuvers and aid in executing them. This is the kind of interface I had in mind for navigating within star systems in Space Engine.

Here are a couple videos demonstrating it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?f....#t=692s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99UIrrsu0x0

+1
Looks very intuitive.

AerospacefagDate: Wednesday, 12.12.2012, 21:47 | Message # 7
Pioneer
Russian Federation
The problem with new KSP system of orbital maneuvers is that these orbits are complex, unpredictable and strangely curved in different gravitational fields. System of maneuver nodes is difficult to deal with for now, as it's not very user-friendly nor handy enough. Yet it's very simple comparing to Orbiter, as it does not count on multiple gravitation vectors, it is not suitable for continuous low-power accelerations, and it does not to require to learn multiple-pages tutorials.

My experience in v0.18 proved this system very useful for orbit maneuvers in-game (namely, rendezvous system), it's a whole new level for the game and quite unique feature for a computer game. But it's still not perfect in any other aspect - mainly because the problem of navigation is too complex itself.

In SE all of ships trajectories will be curved very slightly, as these ships are moving with great speed. We discussed that before many times, some simple ideas were agreed upon, but (at least) I still have no idea how final navigation system can look like, how much of automation we will be able to put into it. And I'm not even talking about how many lances have been broken over theme of space battles.

Quote (HarbingerDawn)
I would personally like to see an interface more similar to Orbiter than KSP, I feel that would better fit the feel of the program, but maybe something similar to this could be implemented too.

System with HUD and simple parameters on a spaceship is only useful for simple actions such as atmospheric flight. Trajectory planner is next level of navigation - actually, it is not necessary to have manual control over ship if you can lend it to machines, yet SpaceEngineer suggest it will be mixed system that allows you to drive ship manually too.

Edited by Aerospacefag - Wednesday, 12.12.2012, 21:49

curiousepicDate: Wednesday, 12.12.2012, 22:52 | Message # 8
Space Pilot
United States
Here is an awesome timelapse of Scott Manley (ex-astrophysicist and great KSP youtuber) using the flight planning system (and very unbalanced new probe parts) to visit all bodies in the Kerbal system.

WatsisnameDate: Sunday, 16.12.2012, 14:55 | Message # 9
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
United States
Quote (Aerospacefag)
The problem with new KSP system of orbital maneuvers is that these orbits are complex, unpredictable and strangely curved in different gravitational fields. System of maneuver nodes is difficult to deal with for now, as it's not very user-friendly nor handy enough.

Really? I thought it was straightforward, intuitive, and extremely useful. I've used it to great effect in planning fuel-efficient trajectories to a large number of solar system bodies and even slingshot maneuvers.

What makes you say the orbits are complex/unpredictable? The fact that they only compute for one gravitational source at a time makes it the simplest orbit possible and perfectly predictable by definition.

DisasterpieceDate: Tuesday, 19.02.2013, 03:53 | Message # 10
World Builder
United States
I would agree with Harbinger, a KSP planning system with multiple bodies' gravity would turn into a spastic curve that would be too unpredictable. An orbiter system would be much easier to use and would fit the feel of SE.

I play teh spase engien

HarbingerDawnDate: Tuesday, 19.02.2013, 04:11 | Message # 11
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (Disasterpiece)
a KSP planning system with multiple bodies' gravity would turn into a spastic curve that would be too unpredictable

Not true, the KSP system could handle that well enough.

Quote (Disasterpiece)
An orbiter system would be much easier to use and would fit the feel of SE.

I don't think it would be easier to use exactly, just much more useful.

My SE mods and addons

Forum » SpaceEngine » Gameplay Discussions » Orbital Maneuver Planning System in KSP
Page 1 of 11
Search: