RUS New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 1 of 11
Forum » SpaceEngine » Gameplay Discussions » Simple survival mode (another easy for implement gameplay example)
Simple survival mode
spectralbreezeDate: Saturday, 03.11.2012, 18:27 | Message # 1
Observer
Group: Newbies
Russian Federation
Simple survival mod for right now

pros:
1) very rich and different visuals
2) no boring or difficult stuff (trade,fight), simple goals
3) fear, space loneliness and mystery
4) based on community found and saved beautiful places and moments (Solaris and others)

contras:
1) no space flight (a must-have for somebody)
2) linear gameplay
3) singleplay (boring for somebody)

what must be done in SE engine for this mod:
1) option for limiting user speed on the planets
2) option for limiting user height above planet ground (walk imitation)
3) option for limiting user ability to walk on a cliff
4) proper mouse lookup, FPS shooters alike (for best feel)
5) in-game logical trigger for loading another (saved) place automatically(a portal)
6) in-game func for finding max high ground point in a 10 km radius (a next portal point)

Legend
Old and gone civilization(s) lost their portals on many planets in galaxy (in universe?)
In a distant future one of the child civilizations (humans) found one portal in their homeworld and
their explorer man have lost in this portal and found himself in a another planet
Something goes wrong and portal seems to be working only in a one way.
He must find another portal, because his energy source have a limit for 15 mins

Gameplay
He opened his eyes and found beautiful eclipse in a green sky. It wasnt his planet.
He looked back at little red dot at the ground. This is portal. And it seems not working anymore.
There must be another. He has remembered scientific seminar and discussion about
portals infrastructure. Another portal must be on high place inside a 10 km radius.
He walked on a hill and lookup. Thanks god view was clear and lightened enough.
There in a distance of 5 km is a most high mountain and portal must be there...
Portal was there. Red dot light was seeing from 200 meters of it.
Portal fired his energy source and ...
...He opened his eyes and found three earth-like moons in a dawn sky. It wasnt his planet...

Edited by spectralbreeze - Saturday, 03.11.2012, 18:33

Joey_PenguinDate: Saturday, 03.11.2012, 18:50 | Message # 2
Pioneer
Group: Users
United States
As long as you don't mind being 36 feet tall biggrin .

Careful. The PLATT Collective has spurs.

Edited by Joey_Penguin - Saturday, 03.11.2012, 19:02

spectralbreezeDate: Saturday, 03.11.2012, 19:16 | Message # 3
Observer
Russian Federation
yea, i remember this limitation (10 meters?). Ok, lets say this is some kind of mech with protagonist inside of it

Edited by spectralbreeze - Saturday, 03.11.2012, 19:16

BatbombDate: Saturday, 03.11.2012, 20:58 | Message # 4
Space Tourist
Germany
I think that this limitation 'could' be overcome.... I mean the 3d model is there, and it's only a matter of camera position. The question is, what makes it a survival GAME when you run around on a planet without anything on it that could threat, harm or be useful for you? I think I would be bored to death, mainly because this game is for space flight and not 'running around' biggrin
Yeah the idea sounds kinda cool, but I think it won't work in SE (yet)

AerospacefagDate: Saturday, 03.11.2012, 23:41 | Message # 5
Pioneer
Russian Federation
Quote (spectralbreeze)
Another portal must be on high place inside a 10 km radius.

Something that I've read before already.
http://sfbook.com/shakespeares-planet.htm

I guess, every space-related game could have something useful from the concept of "realism", because it never gets old. For example:

I found this sky a bit dizzy and scary as hell.

spectralbreezeDate: Sunday, 04.11.2012, 05:36 | Message # 6
Observer
Russian Federation
Yes, in this simple concept, survival means only deadly time limit for now.
But, threat and harm could be implemented only after particle system will be done.

LEGEND update
Portals infrastructure have a nanobot clouds defence system. Cloud color, luminance,
structure, density and surrounding tactics depends on planet atmos and surface parameters.
After a millions of years each cloud had been falling apart and spreading at 10 km radius.
When nanobot detects some movement in a 100 meters radius it starts to move there.
When 10 or more nanobots meet each other, they could use deadly shocking impulse in a distance
depending on nanobots count.
The only hope is that the protagonist mech is faster than single nanobot (any group of nanobots?).

spectralbreezeDate: Sunday, 04.11.2012, 08:09 | Message # 7
Observer
Russian Federation
Concept 2 (flying around survival mod)

Flight could be added if we scale up previous concept for entire star system.
Portals could be somewhere in different planets (placed by scene developer) and nanobots only at 10 km radius near each portal.
Player could fly and seek everywhere but flight near portals is impossible because of the defensive nanobots (or EMI, Fields, etc)
and energy leakage (we have 15 minutes)
So, player must get out from first portal defensive radius in 15 minutes to be able to fly away.
After flying and seeking around star system, player must infiltrate into second portal through its defensive radius again in 15 minutes.

But it will be a slightly different mod from previously presented concept.
And there must be invented interesting enough clues for second portal location (without that it will be very boring).

BatbombDate: Sunday, 04.11.2012, 11:45 | Message # 8
Space Tourist
Germany
Two things: It would be cool if an artist could populate game relevant planets himself, before he handles it to other players. That would solve the threat and harm issue.
Second Thing: Any ideas about a goal? I mean you basically walk from planet to planet. Will there be a certain thing that awaits him at the end?

spectralbreezeDate: Sunday, 04.11.2012, 13:23 | Message # 9
Observer
Russian Federation
Yes, populate star system with artist own content would be cool and this definitely will be in SE(esp. for multiplayer).
But there could be so many planets had found by an artist with exactly this or that amazing views (unique eclipses, comets, rings, dawns etc)
And this little survival mod could be nice for walking through all of this amazing finds (otherwise forgotten) with almost automatically generated gameplay.
Main goal for now is come back to Earth (at the end of creator saved places script), but frankly, it is simple constant wow-factor from different locations.
Another main goal could be to find author main homeplanet with additional content.
For that purpose plain text places script must be encoded/decoded by SE funcs (for holding it in secret of course)

Edited by spectralbreeze - Sunday, 04.11.2012, 17:05

Forum » SpaceEngine » Gameplay Discussions » Simple survival mode (another easy for implement gameplay example)
Page 1 of 11
Search: