Forum » SpaceEngine » Gameplay Discussions » More Gameplay Proposals
More Gameplay Proposals
Joey_PenguinDate: Thursday, 05.07.2012, 18:27 | Message # 16
Pioneer
Group: Users
United States
Quote (gpaw5765)
(I think Noctis did it that way).

It did. If you ran out of fuel in the middle of space, you could call for help and in a minute or so an NPC stardrifter would arrive, give you a bit of its fuel, and fly off. You could then fly to an S06 star to refuel. The Melnorme more or less did this in Ur-Quan Masters. Perhaps you could implement something similar if you strand yourself in SE.

Quote (SpaceEngineer)
You can try to control interstellar flight manually, but you'll quickly find that it's almost impossible (try it out in SE now!).

Not at all. I fly manually all the time instead of SHIFT-G to reach my destination. You just have to be careful with speed so you don't fly past, through, or into your target. I don't want any stars or planets flying up in my face and startling me like this guy. sad

http://en.spaceengine.org/forum/10-165-1#1160

Careful. The PLATT Collective has spurs.

Edited by Joey_Penguin - Thursday, 05.07.2012, 18:42

HarbingerDawnDate: Thursday, 05.07.2012, 18:42 | Message # 17
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Quote (Joey_Penguin)
Not at all. I fly manually all the time instead of SHIFT-G to reach my destination.

Are you flying using "Spacecraft" mode [3]? Because that's what he's talking about when he says that you can try it out in SE now. Free mode doesn't simulate the same flight physics as you have with spacecraft. And note: you can't use the autostop feature either, you have to manually control your speed the whole way.

And using "G" is better than using "Shift-G" since it brings you to a location near an object without actually putting you on it, so you can't be startled.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

Edited by HarbingerDawn - Thursday, 05.07.2012, 18:44

Joey_PenguinDate: Thursday, 05.07.2012, 18:46 | Message # 18
Pioneer
Group: Users
United States
I use Free flight mode [1], which doesn't have inertia and stops automatically. Does that make me a dirty cheeter? fie

Careful. The PLATT Collective has spurs.

HarbingerDawnDate: Thursday, 05.07.2012, 20:09 | Message # 19
Cosmic Curator
United States
Not at all, it just means that how you have accomplished interstellar flight is not the same as what SpaceEngineer is talking about, so you can't make any claims about it until you try it. It certainly doesn't make you a dirty cheater, free flight is how I and almost everyone flies around, and it's great. There's nothing wrong with it.

My SE mods and addons

VikingDate: Thursday, 13.09.2012, 08:58 | Message # 20
Observer
Group: Newbies
Canada
I had an idea for a gameplay mechanic I'd like to play with, hopefully this is the right place to bring it up.
Not only can the resulting beam produced by a decent reaction drive be used as a weapon, you can use it to boost other craft, like a tractor beam that can only push.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MagBeam
You already need incredibly tough armour for flight at any reasonable speed for any length of time (and for aerobraking, hypersonic flight and the occasional solar flyby!), so anything you can use as a reaction drive or a weapon you can also use as a "repuslor beam". You could match different drives up with each other to optimize the repulsor effect and minimize damage, like shields like. A fusion drive would be best absorbed by a ramscoop [itself basically a fusion rocket in rverse], a mass driver by another mass driver and so on.
Small ships and cargo containers could just get fire from a station around one planet towards a station around another. You could use mass drivers to launch and catch the cargo pods and a small stationkeeping drive to give them a gentle push, accellerating outgoing cargo and decellerating incoming.
Give it a few days worth of simulation with a launch from every station every hour, everyone launching at least one package to everyone else... and you've got a nice big mess to clean up! Hurray!! Make some of the cargo pods randomly turn out to be pirates and you've got a game right there, basically cleaning space junk and delivering mail with a sweet mass driver and fusion torch!! smile

Edited by Viking - Thursday, 13.09.2012, 09:01

TorianDate: Wednesday, 21.11.2012, 13:34 | Message # 21
Observer
Netherlands
I apologise if my post revives this (already quite old) topic but I feel I have to comment!

Personally I think the idea to make this into an MMO is a great idea. The issues with realtime gameplay brought forward by other people could indeed be a bit of a problem within a MMO format but not, I think, something that cannot be worked around.
From the top of my head I can come up with a couple of potential solutions that would actually make colonisation, terraforming and tech research possible:

-Time speeds up during server resets

Lets say the Space Engine MMO is up and running on a European server (could just as well be American or whatever, but for now I'll use the EU server as an example). The server is running the game in real time, everyone just goes about their business - be that exploration, colonisation, anything really - until the server clock reaches for instance, 3:30 AM GMT.
At this point, the amount of players active will be the lowest, and because of this, the server does a reset of say, 30 minutes or one hour (this will need to be done anyway if this is gonna be an MMO), but here's the kicker: after each reset, when the server comes back online, time will have progressed several dozens or even hundreds of times faster, so when players log back on the next morning, their colonisation or terraforming has been advanced massively.
That's because during the reset, 10 years (or whatever number is most balanced) have passed.

This will ofcourse mean that colonisation, terraforming and all that other stuff will have to be atleast partially automated, but I don't think players will want to spend massive amounts of time on that anyway. Maybe players could first choose where to plant their cities on a new colony (for instance, close to a rich mineral vein or something), and create a road network like in Black & White or Civilization, but the rest would be more or less automated. The same solution could obviously work for research of new tech or terraforming.

This solution will allow players to kind of plan their next moves. Suppose I've set my eyes on a star 1000 lightyears away from my homeworld, but my ship's hyperdrive can only travel at 100 c. I could set a course for that star, but it would take my ship 10 years just to get there in realtime. But I don't mind, because I know that by next morning, my ship will have reached that star due to the (and this is, I say again just an example!) 10 years that have passed when the server was reset last night.

-Time simply moves faster

Another possible (but in my opinion less preferrable) solution would be to up the time scale by a certain factor. Lets say one day in realtime equals 1 year ingame. This is what Spore used to explain away the enormous societal and technological changes a player's civilisation could make within 1 day of gameplay (ofcourse Spore is not exactly as scientifically accurate and not to mention a SINGLEplayer game, but still...).

To summarize, I believe the first option is the most valid one, as it allows for the world to be realtime 23 hours a day, while still allowing for long term projects such as large scale terraforming and colonisation to be possible.

Edited by Torian - Wednesday, 21.11.2012, 13:43

EladuDate: Tuesday, 25.06.2013, 23:21 | Message # 22
Observer
Germany
Hey everyone!

first things first: since this is my first post i want to give all the praise to the team who made this. I stumbled upon this yesterday, installed it and what ive seen so far was beyond my expectations!

I want to contribute to this discussion by sharing my impressions as a certain kind of player (i say this because i believe there are many types of different players with different opinions on what is the "fun" in a game)

I usually don't play games, and when i do, i play the single player campaign - and i never player an MMO before
so the "fun" in a game to me has something to do with exploration and imagination creativity and choice. (i don't think that playing in a team can't be fun though)

So, my first thought, as I've seen a youtube video was: what? You can reach and see (in an amazing detail) an alien world and you can fu§§§g reach every star visible on the screen? OMG
and so on…and this universe goes on and on. So long story short: This giant thing to explore REACH and SEE was the thing that was catchy to me.

To make my point here i want to compare this game to minecraft. So what i found impressing in minecraft was the world you can explore. first playing the beta (pure creative mode), running around and exploring the world was fun but boring after some time. What actually made me buy that game were the limitations of the paid version.
By limitations i mean: not being able to collect the blocks instantly and to have everything. and also to have a night when the enemies would come after you, so you need to build a shelter an protect yourself.

I would like to see the "exploring to survive and develop" aspect emphasized in the game: limitations or difficulties and dangers you have to deal with.
It could be like this for example:

The player is stranded in an unknown region of the universe (maybe a colony ship or a generation ship), equipped with limited resources which represent the limitations of at least 2 critical strategical aspects:
energy / water / Food etc = time
Fuel = reach

secondary limitation could be the scanners of the ship which are damaged or "In research" so the player can't analyze ALL the stars and galaxies, but only those in close range.
the payer need to plan the next step carefully. Later after improving scanners one might see and analyze targets that are more distant.

So the next step could be to obtain the resources needed to reach the next star, (later you can prepare the jump to the next galaxy) to improve the shields to pass a high radiation cloud, to develop weapons to destroy an enemy trying to kill you, because you came into his territory, and so on.
You have to explore different worlds, which have different atmospheres and conditions, so you have to develop special equipped drones or shuttles to search extremely hot or cold places for the right resources. (In this point one can be very specific and creative implementing scientific stuff, i guess)
Since traveling the next star may take a while at first (later you develop faster engines) you leave a small probe orbiting every planet you visited so you always have something to (you switch to this drone or satellite while your main chip is traveling deep space. but those are details smile )

And the goal could be to find back to earth or to find another planet to live on. But maybe the ambition to SEE an explore the next star system is enough motivation to continue playing (it would be sure true for me smile )

Im Not that much into science but i bet the universe can be a very hostile place so there is a lot to do only to stay alive.

So i hope someone can pick up on my point.

Greets from Germany,
A.

SpaceEngineerDate: Wednesday, 26.06.2013, 11:16 | Message # 23
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
Hi Eladu, and wellcome to the forum!

Things that you are propose is a pretty much the gameplay scheme that I plan to implement:
http://en.spaceengine.org/forum/14-415-1
More detailed discussion is on Russian forum.

MahzelDate: Friday, 05.07.2013, 14:51 | Message # 24
Observer
France
For those interested in a "near" future, I'm currently working on an online database for SE where regisered users could "post" their discoveries.
The database follow the architecture of the SE universe (different tables for galaxies, octree, branch, star and so on), enabling people to search for very precise location.
This is an early WIP, and I've a lot of work aside, but I should be able to put it online for testing for the end of july or somewhere later.

My main consideration is that this should require that the nomenclature system stay the same, that people should explore vanilla generated system, because if it changes, I think I'll have to wipe out the db. Same thing for procedural naming of object in the future. It is possible that white dwarf in 0.96 become something else due to generation parameter balance.

But I'll do it for the pleasure of working on it and surely save "deprecated" database for historical record.

I'll keep informed the community later, (and I wouldn't have talk of it that soon if I hadn't seen this post, but as it has been suggested, I just let people know that I'm working on something like that)

SpaceEngineerDate: Friday, 05.07.2013, 21:50 | Message # 25
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
Quote (Mahzel)
It is possible that white dwarf in 0.96 become something else due to generation parameter balance.

Just add a parameter "version" to the database and force users to specify version each time they adds a new entry.

MahzelDate: Saturday, 06.07.2013, 01:05 | Message # 26
Observer
France
I've thought of it, perhaps I'll do it that way, alongside with a "mod" list for non-vanilla system. Your suggestion comfort me with this idea smile

NeonDate: Thursday, 11.07.2013, 05:50 | Message # 27
Explorer
Group: SE team
Australia
You and me both, I've never liked SE's ideas for gameplay. Gpaw, I said exactly the same idea over a year ago and
was shot down cause SE had very firm ideas of what he wants for the game. I personally found those ideas very
boring and hence depearted from the forum.

I'm very sad to see those ideas have not changed 1 year later, as we keep saying, your idea for a game (think ur names
Vlad if I remmeber rightly lol too long ago) are just plain boring m8. When you first jump into SE exploration is all
you want to do. However once you've been in it for awhile, you need something else to hold you, and this is the problem.

Without a solid game idea SE will leak users.

As for Civilisations, yes it's difficult to do, but there's a far more simpler way. What about forgetting all the complexities of
rendering models/images etc for aliens and do it all in text. I'd be more than happy to have a text based system for alien communication rather than none at all, it bypasses all the issues and complexities of doing it another way.

Sad to see gameplay for SE hasn't changed... sad

HarbingerDawnDate: Thursday, 11.07.2013, 06:12 | Message # 28
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (Neon)
I personally found those ideas very boring and hence depearted from the forum.

I can understand disagreeing with his gameplay ideas, but was discussing the prospect of future gameplay the only thing that interested you as a part of this community?

My SE mods and addons

SpaceEngineerDate: Thursday, 11.07.2013, 09:27 | Message # 29
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
Quote (Neon)
Sad to see gameplay for SE hasn't changed...

Can you remind please your own ideas?

Forum » SpaceEngine » Gameplay Discussions » More Gameplay Proposals
Page 2 of 2«12
Search: